Are we promoting Tournaments Properly?

1. You need to have more juniors interacting with seniors in tournaments.
2. More centres need to have more tournaments with the same format of the Twinn Tour here in Brisbane.
3. Major tournaments will never attract major bowlers without major sponsors.
4. There needs to be one major tournament in each state evenly spaced out throughout the year.
5. There are up to approx 20 centres in Brisbane that host some sort of scratch tournament, the winner of each tournament should automatically win a spot into a Major tournament wich rotates around the Country this tournament could attract a major sponsor sort of a State of Origin. This kind of format could work if you could get the proprietors and Goldpin to help out.
6. Cheap practice fees do not work, I used to run $2.00 practise games from 4pm till 6pm Monday to Friday and Sunday mornings. I did this in a centre that was strong in scratch bowlers and only a few took it up.
7. You need more people in the industry to help out! I am sure there are plenty of bowlers out there who have their own businesses. (Such as Jase) which should contribute to the cause, as little as $500 can make a huge difference if you can find 5 people who are will to help as a sponsor in a smaller tournament.
8. You also need more people such as Mary Flower to help grow this sport. Anyone interested in helping should follow in her footsteps. She does a fantastic job.
Finally - Bowlers who constantly miss the cut or dont ever cash in tournaments dont hang around unless they can afford it. These are the people who keep tournaments alive without them you would have the top 20 only turning up for events and this is where it may be heading. What can be done for thses bowlers? yes get them coaching or give these people more to bowl in. Maybe give them an A Grade tournament to bowl in? still a scratch event but restricted to a 190 ave. Let them practice in these tournaments until they are good enough to compete with the open bowlers.
Maybe have three different grades - An open tournament bowler (One who averages over 200.) A grade bowler (One who averages 170 to 199) and the Restricted Bowler (Any bowlers under 170) These bowlers should have there own scratch tournaments.
You also have centres now getting premium dollars for their social play, they are thinking why should i get $2.00 per game when i could get $6 or more per game. There needs to be more support from centres. I ran many tournaments for less than $2 per game whilst managing Milton. Just in quiet times.
I need to stop now as i could go on all night! SORRY
Good luck all I hope you can turn it around!!!
To everyone in Brisbane - I would just like to say goodbye I am heading of to Tasmania in a couple of weeks permanately. I going where the air is cool and the roads are made for motorcycles! bye
Regards
Jeff Payne.

It would be interesting to get comments/suggestions/input from some of the top ranked bowlers in the country - they are a very quiet bunch!

Flower

I echo most of the other sentiments on here:

Financial - bowling is just too expensive – whether its practice rates, entry fees, equipment costs, travelling to tournaments, etc, in comparison to other sports, it is far too expensive to first perfect our craft and then to test our skills in bowling tournaments. BTW, +$300 is too expensive for a tournament, I can understand +$200 in majors but that is also provided you get a decent amount bowling for your money. I just don’t understand why more people did not bowl Canberra, $190 for a guaranteed 16 games of bowling over 2 days.

Lane patterns – we need tougher lane patterns in tournaments, period. If you cannot score on flatter lane patterns, then go practice, it’s as simple as that. A sport is supposed to be difficult! I totally dispute the argument that numbers are falling because of tougher lane patterns. Just look at the success of the PBA Experience leagues in the US. That illustrates that bowlers do want to be challenged! Furthermore, a set of standardised lane patterns (similar to the PBA) and presentation of these lane pattern characteristics on tournament entry forms provides more transparency to bowlers and negates the conspiracy theorists who believe lanes are conditioned to suit certain types of bowlers (they can always pull out if they don’t like what’s presented).

AMF – this may be controversial to some (sorry) and there are probably some exceptions (because of the person running the centre) but my overall feeling is that they really do not care about league or tournament bowlers period. They would rather turn the lights off, turn the music up and not have regular bowlers come in for practice. The $5.50 practice rate is testament to that - they knew exactly what they were doing when they recently hiked up the price up and imposed additional practicing restrictions to bowlers. They already think we get bowling practice too cheap now. And why would you want to score if you are practicing??? It’s ridiculous that they even structure it this way which just shows how they do not understand bowling as a sport. Just as Dousty and CSP said, there should be a practicing program for TBA registered bowlers where bowlers can bulk pay for practice and/or practice for a reasonable rate in off peak hours. Correct me if I am wrong, but since the takeovers and consolidations, I am yet to see a meaningful move by AMF which has actually help develop the SPORT of bowling??? This means that ultimately, we need to stop relying on them for access to our sport and create a network of centres who are going to do the right things to assist bowlers become better ATHLETES.

I think that most bowlers have long ago walked away from league bowling and tournament bowling is just following in those footsteps for those reasons outlined above. There are just too many greedy, rude and arrogant people running the sport and structuring if for personal gain at the expense of the sport itself. It’s great we are asking these questions (thanks Jase) but I wished we asked these questions 5 years ago. My fear is that we have already pasted the point of no return and sport bowling will probably die out completely in a few more years.

kmac

It would be interesting to get comments/suggestions/input from some of the top ranked bowlers in the country - they are a very quiet bunch!
Flower

Not sure if i am a top ranked bowler but will have a go :) as for quiet..often safer just to read on here these days.

Firstly, the problem is it is not the top ranked bowlers not turning up to the events.....lets face it we have seen my different formats over the last 18 months some good, some not soo good but what you do see is no matter what format the same "top ranked" guys will go to the tournament...but that is not what we needed.

What is needed is formats that attract the "fringe" players..and i dont know the answer..we have tried multiple entry tournaments here...ppl say it is the way to go coz it works o/s...the problem is o/s they have hundreds bowling and the tournaments run for a week, we can not do that here....we have to be realistic. It needs to be a 2 day event or 3 for public holidays like easter..coz ppl can not take the time off work to go and bowl. Even for 3 day weekends i think 2 day event is better...save extra night accom and get a day off b4 going back to work.

Next biggest issue is prize $$...only way we are going to increase it is sponsors coz cant increase entry fees anymore..as when u travel cost close to 700 bucks b4 you have bowled a ball..look at the prizefunds now..have to run top 10 before you make money. Lets be honest $2,500 for Aust Open is not that good, we had grand prix worth close to that in 2005 before they were cancelled.. Going to be hard to get sponsors coz no television coverage...but when tournaments do get sponsorsneed to give them a bang for thier buck..make annoucements during lane changes have there logos plastered all over the bowl..etc.

I dont hav the answers and i wish i did coz i love the sport and the tournaments are a great weekend to catch up with mates but they are becoming a huge $$ risk...i know if i drop 700 in a weekend it hurts...and i dont have a mortage or a family.........

Lastly, Only need 5/6 major tournaments as a maxium per year...then need to get the "grand prix" back into the states, only need 5 or 6 of these so there is something for all bowlers..grand prix were great stepping stones, state bowlers can bowl events againt good bowlers from there state and then as they improve go onto the majors.. these ensure there is an event once a month or once every 2 months for the grand prix bowlers.

If none of this makes sense it is coz i should be a sleep :)

See you ALL at AO :)

How about having a major once a year where it is simply like a high roller.. top 16 games go through to the finals. Then keep having a knockout, and the lowest game shooter is eliminated each game. Have between 12-16 games in the qualifying, and you therefore have 12-16 chances to qualify in the one squad. It would really open up the field and make it interesting - I'd sure have a crack at it.

Great thread Jase, keep up the good work.

I am going to start a little negatively but it leads to some postitive thoughts. I felt it was important to set the scene first.

Firstly, you need three things to suceed in any business - finance, product and marketing. If you don't get it yet, MONEY TALKS!! If you don't have the cash, then you can't do anything. We need to attract regular significant sponsors to our sports (not just rely on Jase and Max). Similary if you don't have the product or the marketing, you are in trouble. I know we have the product, we just don't have the finance or the marketing right at this point.

Last year I was approached by TBASA to develop a sponsorship package to promote the sport and attract sponsors. My company put in around 100 hours to develop a package of which we were quite proud. To buy this package would have cost TBASA thousands. To date, TBASA have done nothing with this. We are nearly one quarter of the way through the year and my time and effort has just been wasted. If they use this package now, it will be worse than doing nothing.

Secondly, I hear a lot about how good it was in the eighties. If anyone can find a time machine, please let me know. Otherwise the eighties have gone and the world has changed. For example, the Sheffield shield has gone, state of origin AFL footy has gone, lawn bowls are the popular choice for the younger brigade, access to international tournaments is far easier .......
The sports that suceed today understand the world has changed and have changed their sports accordingly.

Thirdly, last year I did dome small sponsorships and got absolutley nothing in return. I expected this and only provided the sponsorship from my love of the sport.

In every state we have some very passionate supporters and unfortunately they get lumbered with doing everything in the sport. What often happens then is things like my support and efforts are wasted. Corporate sponsors are rarely interested in little state organisations (and face it that is what we are). They may be interested in little national organisations.

Without being on the inside, I would bet that every state has approached major corporations for support, some more professionally than others. A major corporate organisation may provide support to a state or a tournament based on a relationship that they have with an individual. If that individual leaves, then that relationship is dead as well.

In certain aspects of our sport, we need to have things done at a national level. This can include taking someone at a local level who has excelled in a certain area and asking them to do the same at a national level.

For example, we could take a national approach to sponsorship. One person could be assigned to develop a national sponsorship package. Another person could then take this package to national corporations. This package could then be used as a template for state organisations (thus saving the effort to develop one at each state and ensuring consistency across the country). State organisations could not approach national corporations without the specific approval of TBA Australia (for example, someone might have a good relationship with a national organisation and this is better than cold calling).

Any sponsorship obtained through this process must be immediately distributed to the states (some basis of division would need to be arranged). It could not form part of TBA Australia's general revenue.

I think this gives us a greater chance of getting our sponsorships secured and marketing our sport consistently.

I think tournaments could have grades, to encourage more bowlers to compete. I feel there should be a minimum standard (say 170 or above), otherwise the elite bowlers will get frustrated (tournaments taking longer etc). Also, during the tournament you could keep the grading hidden. Thus a bowler wouldn't know if they are competing against someone in their grade or not. This would provide some intrigue during the competition. If a lower grade bowler is good enough to make the cut scratch, then they could actually cash twice (once as a lower grade and once in the open grade). You could include youth and juniors at this type of event.

Having bowlers of 170 average or so competing with Walshy, Belmo et all would be fantastic for them and they would still have a chance to win something. Who knows, maybe they would actually come back again and (shock horror) work hard on their game and improve.

We could try tournaments at different times like a Tuesday night shotgun tournament or Sunday dawnbreaker. Short sharp tournaments might help to get people competing more regularly. A "shotgun" tournament could have a local sponsor and still form part of a tournament league/series. I don't compete much due to the time it takes to run a small start up business and family commitments. However, I would compete in quick, fun tournaments if the competition was strong enough.

TBA Australia could look at acquiring more procurement arrangements like Qantas. You may have more opportunity approaching airlines at a national level, rather than individually.

I would be willing to sponsor some one off entries but not like I did last year. Could we get a register of promising bowlers who need a bit of help? A national register could be made for anyone to sponsor as and when they can. For example, next month I might have a spare $500, look on the register and see that young Jimmy from NT would like to compete in the AO. I advise TBA and they put me in contact with Jimmy. I send him the money and a couple of shirts (which he must wear during the tournament). TBA Australia and NT put my company on their websites with a link to my website. If I can't do anything else this year, then at least I was able to assist one bowler to get to one tournament. TBA Australia and the state organisations can keep wildcard spots for late entries through sponsors, communicate with past sponsors and ensure that the one-off sponsors get something for their money (even if it just a bowling thankyou night at the end of the year).

I could go on but hopefully there were some useful throughts for everyone.

Cheers
Des Wragg

First of all we need to form a national tournament association
With all committee members to have specific jobs. E.g. tournament director, media promotions, secretary etc.

Secondly a national tournament membership fee perhaps $100-$150 per year which might include a shirt, cheaper entry fees, and possibly discounts from some suppliers etc.you can include all sorts of things to make it worthwhile to become a member.

Thirdly there should be a set number of tournaments per year, all two day events and different formats, rounded off with an end of year tournament for members who have finished in the top 50 for the year.

fourthly lol we should offer bowling centres incentives so they want us bowling our tournaments in their centres e.g. Instead of having skins tournaments the night before the event we should have coaching sessions for the local bowlers from that centre, imagine a local bowlers spending 5-10 minutes with George or Jason or any of the tournament bowlers. Also bowling distributors could give demonstrations of their gear and offer tips and discounts on their equipment.
There are many more things we could do to try and make bowling centres want us bowling in their centres. if we offer our services hopefully they could give us cheaper game rates and help raise sponsorship for tournaments.

This is just my personal opinion on what we can do, hopefully people can add and subtract their own ideas and make it work.

Thank you for your time,

Russell Hinton

Jez was right with one of his points, Prize Money, as I have said in an earlier post, the Trish Datson and the SPC had $4000 first prize in 1981. How much is that in todays money( let's see I earned $200 in 1981, I now earn $800 per week in 2007, multiply by 4) so thats roughly $16000 for first prize.

I'm sure that would help ease the pain of accomodation and travel.

How was it achieved in 1981, I know from working at Liverpool in 81-82 that it was from the Flamboyance of the Manager at the time, Tony Trimarchi and his assistant John Leo, they worked hard to get the sponsers, they had large advertising signs put down the side of the lanes, each cost the sponser $500 , sweep signs that cost the sponsers $50 and other signs throughout the Centre, the large signs were kept up for a year, the sweep signs were on only during the Tourny.

This covered the First prize completely, so the bowlers contribution kept up the rest of the prize money.

But what most people don't understand is that tournaments are first and formost designed to create linage in the Centre( I have worked with a lot of Managers that did'nt get why we had Tournaments, and would jepardise thier Open play so they could have a Breather )

willey

Other points that have been brought up were all being used when the Grand Prix's were run by STEVE MACKIE, now if he was back the whole scene would change for the better.

So where are we going to get another Steve from, he had the experience, he had the drive, he had the Passion, he knew how important the Sponsers were and would give them recognition during the lane changes in the SPC. The Spc would still be the force it was if he still ran it, each qualifying spot was the equivillent of a Grand Prix event, worth as many games and more in some Centre's. I remember an SPC qualifier at Fairfield that had 401 entries(1975) this was 1604 games just in qualifying, which usually ran for 1 month only with a final every 2 weeks.

We need some one who cares, this won't happen with the AMF of today, they don't have the will or experience.

willey.

Another Phil Brook(or Ray Hodge) or Rod Baylis would come in handy along with another Mackie

Many good ideas have come from the topic so far. But is anyone going to do anything with them?

I honestly believe, as well as many others who I have talked to. Our tournament scene is simply to National. How many other sports do you know where fringe comptitors are encouraged to compete at a NATIONAL level for experience. Whatever happened to stepping stones? It's the state level of competition which needs to be looked at. Do we really need anymore then 6 National Tournaments a year? Really? Could we do with about 6 more State based tournament a year? Not only do they have more potential to be cheaper, less travel and possibly... yes, possibly, stay at your own home for a tournament. They would also attract a higher level of fringe and potential national bowlers. I hate to use it as an example but if NSW can get 48 bowlers to a Sport Series event, then why can't we get the same to the NSW Open? Because it's about 250 bucks cheaper and on one day. However, if half of the guys that will be bowling in the Sport Series realise they can compete at a State Level, then why not give the Local National tournament a go? It's amazing how poorly the home state backs the national tournaments sometimes. If every state can get a strong set of state tournaments running, then why can't it be the catalyst to a stronger National tournament scene? With more LOCAL bowlers turning up to support their 'Local' National event? With Entry forms at every state event for the next 2 or 3 National tournaments. Let people know that they are on! Because until every single bowler that bowls accesses this site everyday, the game will continue to stagnate.
There have been some truely brilliant ideas pop up. Why can't we begin to try to implement them, even at a state level?

Later Da Cowman!

Jarrod & Stephen hit the nail on the head.

There are far to many National/Major Tournaments at the moment.
We dont have quality of bowlers to sustain so many National Tournaments successfully.

People say there sick of hearing about what went on in the 80's & 90's.
Well the fact is, yes, there right, this is not the 80's & 90's where we had 150-180 entry's turn up to National Tournaments on a regular basis. So we shouldnt be trying to live in the past expecting to get 100-125 entry's to 10-12 National Tournaments a year.
Back in the 80's & 90's there were 110,000-120,000 members with ATBC. Today I would say TBA has approx 30,000-40,000 members max.

It would be far better supporting 4 or 5 National/Major Tournaments a year run successfully than having 9-12 with 60-80 entry's.
And have each State having there own local circuit for there local bowlers and the fringe bowlers to gain experience in cheaper tournaments without having to spend $700-$1,000 to gain experience travelling to National tournaments with little chance of cashing.

January - SA Cup
April - K&K Classic
July - NSW Open
September - SPC
November - Brunswick

Sounds fair to me. Only one major per state per year. Max of 5 for the calendar year. Incorporate youth divisions into the majors and create some atmosphere. It's much easier to get the required support and sponsorship with a schedule such as the one above, rather than how it is now.

Here is an after thought…Like Golf should we look to rotate one of our Majors in the National circuit????

Have an incentive system in place…Rotate say the Australian Open to a different centre each year or better yet Rotate it to a different state each year…If the Nationals need to be tendered for why can’t we do the same just for the Australian Open…Lets face it if we were a centre manager most of us would work hard for and boast about the fact we have The Australian Open in our centre in that particular year…

I mean if we were to walk into AMF Sunshine today would there be anything up in the Bowl to say they are hosting the Australian Open in less then 10 days time…I know last year when I was there even bowling in it you would have thought it was a tournament for bowler of the month…We need to promote things a lot better…Balloons, streamers, staff dressed neatly, and perhaps someone on the microphone all tournament even between lane changes…get the crowd (who are there …LOL) involved…

Just a though maybe it could work…We need more in centre promotion of Tournaments…When was the last time we heard the guy/girl at the counter announce before each or during each league, the fact there was a major coming up on such and such a date, I think the problem is these days is that if its not happening in THAT centre then its not worth mentioning…

I like the idea of a National Tournament committee set up to run the whole circuit…I think lets face it if the top Bowlers in Australia want these events to survive perhaps this is there chance to have a crack at running these events…What’s stopping us from setting up a National Tournament committee, should we start Nominating people for these positions and voting???? At the end of the day its up to US the bowlers to make things happen…We cant expect AMF or centre managers to do anything as that’s what we have expected over the last 10 years and its not working…I vote its time for a change and a change hopefully for the better…

If we are not prepared to do something at a National Level then maybe its time for the bowlers to get off there buts and start to organise something in your own states to get the grass roots of the game happening again…

Who says the Australian Open, SPC, etc have to be at an AMF centre? Share it around and get the private centres involved.. Why can't a centre like Aspley host a national tournament.. it's got the facilities, a Kegel, great space for spectators, excellent staff, good cafe, great lanes, the whole package that is needed to run an event like this. I'm sure they could do a better game rate than AMF, who REALLY AREN'T INTERESTED.

As far as I am concerned, the quicker these majors are pulled from AMF's control the better. Get them in the hands of a national tournament team, rotate the SPC or Australian Open around, but whatever is going to happen, get it back in the hands of people who want to run it!

Think the most important thing to this is the amount of "national" events, and the need for state events to make a comeback.

i was just thinking last night the PBA has 4 MAJOR events....we have 6 so called majors, not all national events should be called majors really. There needs to be a strict criteria.

Eg Have 3/4 Majors a years have to be minimum of 4,000 for first. Tournaments that come to mind would be SPC,AO, Melbourne Cup and most likely Queensland Cup or NSW.

SPC would need to come out of Victoria so not all majors are down there so the majors are shared around. If SPC moves to NSW then it works out great. 2 in Vic, 1 in NSW and 1 in QLD. Not saying the events like SA Cup, Canberra Open should not be ranked but they could be classed as National event.

Just a thought,.. coz at the moment AO is meant to be one of the bigger events and when u look at it...unfortunately it isnt need to boost up the tradionally tournaments so they are worth something again.

Jase i agree with ur comment about getting it back to grass roots but it is finding people who have the time...we had Glen Rowland running a sucessful grand prix circuit and AMF canned it.....

well bowlers everbody is saying local tournaments i was encouraged to use this site to promote the newcastle cup one of the more prestigious tournaments over the last 29 years having some of the great champions participate& win this tournament over the years, i convinced the manager of superstrike to ressurect this fine tournament & we put a substantial amount of sponsored money to run it & guess what most of the people making a lot of noise about this subject have not entered we have received 40 entries so far with 6 weeks to go it falls short of our expectations.
i agree entry forms & phone call as we did in the olden days is the best way to promote tournaments.
the rating points have wrecked tournaments also as most bowlers chasing rankings which won't nesseccarilly get you in the australian team if you finish in the top five & the payment for ranking a tournamen & for double rankins also suck big time, all sanctioned tourmaments should attract rating points & the points should be decided on the prizefund eg: the bigger the prizefund the more points
then possibly more people would bowl if the knew they would receive points
as far as australian selection goes i believe the australian masters champion male & female should automatically be selected in the australian teams if they wish to bowl & the rest should be picked in the order they finished in the rankings discard selections as sometimes they are seen to be political
that is my 2 cents worth

Rambo1,

Just to clarify something i am only not bowling ur tournament as i will not be in the country, otherwise i would have attended.

As for the ranking points i think everyone agrees they need to be changed..i for one think double ranking points is not required expecially for some of the events which have them.....points could go back to how many entries there are..if 50 winner gets 50 then the bigger events earn there extra rankings points if they get the entries

Last post on this topic i promise :)

I think this is one of the best post's that I have read for a long time. And I would have to agree with a national body running some of these majors.
I also think that the Sth Pacific should go back to NSW and then we would have a much fairer distribution of our major events.
Vic - 2 - A/O & MTC
NSW - 2 - SPC & NSW Open
Qld - 1 - K & K
SA - 1 - SA Cup
Canberra - 1 - Brunswick
That would give us 7 Majors in any 12 month period. And to be a major I would think a $5000.00 1st prize would have to be the standard for Majors.
Ranking points should be based on Number of entries.
As for Jason's suggestion there should be 1 person from every state to sit on this National tournament committee and set up a circuit that will benefit all bowlers not just the regulars, but the fringe bowlers as well. The national setup should be something like a bowlers Club for the bowlers. If this club could attract 200 + bowlers for a joining fee of say $100.00 that would create an income of $20,000.00 plus which could be a big boost for regional events and the Majors. Bowling Centres like AMF or privately owned could tender to hold 1 of these events and if the Committee like the old ATBA ran them the centres would be even keener to hold them at their centres.
It would also be much easier to obtain sponsorship based on 6 majors and several regional events. And maybe just maybe bowlers could see that something was happening and that they were in control of the sport of tenpins and not just the centres or TBA.
It has come to a point where the bowlers need to stand up and be counted,form a NEW ATBA and include the Ladies as well as our youth bowlers, the charter should be to promote bowling as a sport and run these events in conjunction with the owners of the centres and work towards a common goal........enjoyment of our great sport.
As Jason stated we need to start and start now for a new 2008 season. Why not arrange a meeting say during the Adult Nationals in October or even sooner at one of the Majors like the K & K invite all bowlers to attend and lets vote in some adminstrators and tournament experienced people to help kick start this new organisation, have a membership fee, give them a shirt and whatever else to help promote and lets restrict our major events to 6-7 event a year with 3-4 regionals in each state with maybe some free entries thrown in for some of our fringe bowlers who support the regionals.:D
We would need people like Jason , Max and Peter Coburn who would be fantastic leaders to lead us out of the dark ages into a new era in Australian Tenpin Tournament Bowling. :)
I think one of the major items is to stop bagging AMF or other centres most do a great job with the limited budget that they have. You have to also remember that AMF and the private centres own these events, so they are not going just let anyone take them away and put the event into the opposition centre.:rolleyes:
What we need is for the players association to sit down and talk with AMF or other centres and nut out how everyone could beenfit from working together.And working together is what is required from everyone within the industry.
So, I put it back to you Jason and the rest of our tournament players, organise a meeting around K & K time invite some people who would be good workers (we dont need hangers on we need workers) and promoters and have tournament running experience and lets start a NEW PLAYERS association open to all Australian Bowlers, set up a constitution(could use the old ATBA to start with,maybe just refine certain rules & Reg) set a joining fee for 12 months, set a date for AGM to coincide with one of the Majors and lets see what response we would get.:rolleyes:
Remember what ever we the bowlers do can only help improve the Tournament Circuit Australia Wide.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom