Nationally Ranked Events are there too many or are they spaced correctly…

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Nationally Ranked Events are there too many or are they spaced correctly…

Well dates are advertised on the TBA site…
1 Fri 18 Jan Sun 20 Jan Cairns Queensland Cairns Open A08/0009
ONE WEEK LATER
2 Sat 26 Jan Sun 27 Jan Cross Roads South Australia South Australian Cup
3 Sat 22 Mar Mon 24 Mar Sunshine Victoria Australian Open
4 Fri 16 May Mon 19 May Darwin Northern Territory Arafura Classic Singles
ONE WEEK LATER
5 Fri 23 May Sun 25 May Cannon Hill Queensland K and K Classic
TWO WEEKS LATER
6 Sat 07 Jun Tue 10 Jun Altona Victoria Melbourne International Tenpin Open
7 Sat 26 Jul Sun 27 Jul Macarthur New South Wales NSW Open
8 Fri 01 Aug Sun 03 Aug Mackay Queensland Mackay Tenpin Open
THREE WEEKS LATER
9 Fri 22 Aug Sun 24 Aug Aspley Queensland Aspley Open
THREE WEEKS LATER
10 Fri 12 Sep Sun 14 Sep Castle Hill New South Wales South Pacific Classic (NOW CLASHES WITH A SCRATCH TOUR IN QLD)
11 Fri 24 Oct Sat 25 Oct to be advised Australian Championship
12 Sun 05 Oct Fri 24 Oct to be advised Open All Events
13 Sun 09 Nov Mon 10 Nov Townsville Queensland Cavaliea Homes Sun City Open
14 Sat 06 Dec Sun 07 Dec Tuggeranong ACT Brunswick Australian Cup

There is also a clash of Dates as the SPC has changed weekends AGAIN…

Question is
Do we have too many Ranked Events? Will some of these Tournaments’ survive with sometimes only 1 week’s break between them…

From the 16th of May to the 13th September approx 18 weeks we have 7 of these Events are on…That’s on average a Nationally Ranked event every 2.5 Weeks…

Maybe it’s just me but with Entry fees and Flights and accommodation this possibly cannot be supported very well through that time…

14 aint much!! the last yr Austrlaia had 'real' rankings in 1990 thanks to Pin Action Warren Stewart bolwed in 26 ranked events!!!(partly thanks to all the ranked semi major stuff around then, and majors like Perth Cup, WA Open, Tasmanian Open that arent about at the moment)

I guess if you realy want your ranking points, the sacrifice has to be made.

I wont be doing many (well, i dont plan to). I know if everything works out ok, ill do the NSW Open, SPC, Melbourne Cup, Australian Open and Brunswick Cup. Knowing my luck (and due to my ability), i'll prob just do NSW Open, SPC and Brunswick anyway.

I personally think that there is to many. Especially if your the average player that doesnt always get money back it does become quite costly. If they were spaced out and have 12 a year (one every month would be better)

There has always been too many ranked. Our National system needs an overhaul and tiers need to be introduced, Regional, State, National, etc. TBA need to up the ante to make hosting a National event more prestigious, like first place $5000 with a prize fund total over $25000.

It's up to TBA to do this....................... the silence is deafening....................

It's up to TBA to do this....................... the silence is deafening....................
True.............and true.........

and..........

11 Fri 24 Oct Sat 25 Oct to be advised Australian Championship
12 Sun 05 Oct Fri 24 Oct to be advised Open All Events
Serious? We Don't know where yet?

14 aint much!! the last yr Austrlaia had 'real' rankings in 1990 thanks to Pin Action Warren Stewart bolwed in 26 ranked events!!!(partly thanks to all the ranked semi major stuff around then, and majors like Perth Cup, WA Open, Tasmanian Open that arent about at the moment)

I recall S.A. Cup getting 130-150 entries back in those days also. As high as 170+ entries one year. Doesnt happen now. How many tournaments had over 100 entries this year. Not many.

This topic has been thrashed out on a previous thread earlier this year or late last year.

You need to trim down the number of tournaments to 7-8 a year and make them worth coming to. Not base them on 90 or 96 unrealistic entries & them slash the prize fund the day of the tournament.

Have your four prestigious major tournaments.

1. Sat 22 Mar Mon 24 Mar Sunshine Victoria Australian Open
2. Sat 07 Jun Tue 10 Jun Altona Victoria Melbourne International Tenpin Open
3. Fri 12 Sep Sun 14 Sep Castle Hill New South Wales South Pacific Classic
4. Sat 06 Dec Sun 07 Dec Tuggeranong ACT Brunswick Australian Cup

approx 10 week break between each tournament

Then run 3-4 other ranked tournaments in between like your S.A. Cup, NSW Open, K & K Classic, Arafura Classic.

Your average tournament bowler is only going to bowl 7-8 National Tournaments a year if that.

Better to have 7-8 successfull tournaments with 100+ entries than 13-14 badly attended tournaments with 60-70 entries. Better having people eager to bowl every tournament than having them to decide which 9-10 tournaments they arent going to bowl this year.

Out of the 14 ranked tournaments next year

QLD 5 35.8%
NSW 2 14.3%
VIC 2 14.3%
SA 1 7.1%
NT 1 7.1%
ACT 1 7.1%
WA 0 0%
TAS 0 0%
Undecided 2 14.3%

If there is any truth in the rumour. Nationals at the Gold Coast in 2008. That makes QLD 7 50%

P.S. Im not QLD bashing. I know they are the best attended entry wise. All im saying is if your going to cut down the number of ranked tournaments a year where are you going to trim them from.

Wouldn't it be easier to have 12 ranked tournaments bowled on the 2nd weekend of each month????? That would give bowlers a 4 week turn around between tournaments and it's a lot easier for local tournaments to set dates and avoid clashing of events. Each state gets 1 major with SPC floating around the country each year. Common sense never seems to prevail in the governing in this sport

Wouldn't it be easier to have 12 ranked tournaments bowled on the 2nd weekend of each month????? That would give bowlers a 4 week turn around between tournaments and it's a lot easier for local tournaments to set dates and avoid clashing of events. Each state gets 1 major with SPC floating around the country each year. Common sense never seems to prevail in the governing in this sport
this way the bowlers playing inter district, premiership pennants, country challenge, state leagues etc can have their organisers roster these weekends off in advance and there's not the hassle of reserves etc to contend with and you would therefore think more entries would generate as a result from local bowlers.
Shoey

As an organiser, parent and realising that Centres need to make money as a business - setting dates is not as straight forward as you would think.

School holidays, long weekends, HSC exams, Christmas, Easter, special events (football, afl grand finals, olympics, commonwealth games, car races etc etc). You might think this is nothing but each affects transport, accommodation, financial considerations and entry numbers.

Best event this year was K&K, but not thought of as major?

Strengthen up the sport of bowling with local/area tournaments for the average bowler, then encourage them to bowl State, Interstate....

Leanne.

School Holidays, exams and other special events are always going to be unavoidable. Majors can be held on long weekends. As long as dates and entry forms are out early enough, thats all that can be done to ensure that bowlers have enough notice if a tournament falls on holidays or exams etc. As it is today many tournaments clash with holidays and special events. At least by having a set weekend for every tournament every year and with sufficient time between events, it gives bowlers the opportunity fit tournaments into their schedule, to budget for entry fee, accommodation and flights etc, get time off work well in advance. Every ranked tournament should be held on a specific weekend every year eg SPC 2nd weekend of September every year, K & K second weekend of May every year. Now I understand that if a tournament is scheduled on the same weekend as the footy grand final weekend or olympics, it can be moved to first or third weekend of the month still giving a 3 week turnaround between tournaments.

As an organiser, parent and realising that Centres need to make money as a business - setting dates is not as straight forward as you would think.
School holidays, long weekends, HSC exams, Christmas, Easter, special events (football, afl grand finals, olympics, commonwealth games, car races etc etc). You might think this is nothing but each affects transport, accommodation, financial considerations and entry numbers.
Best event this year was K&K, but not thought of as major?
Strengthen up the sport of bowling with local/area tournaments for the average bowler, then encourage them to bowl State, Interstate....
Leanne.

the minute we start to try and schedule around everything else is the minute we might as well not worry about it. if at say 1 November in the prior year all of these tournaments have booked there weekends its then up to the bowlers themselves to decide if they want to or even can attend. these 12 tournamemts that Deadman Inc suggests should be claiming the date and if it suits well and good if it doesn't then it doesn't.

by claiming the dates a local / area tournament organiser then has enough knowledge of a schedule for these major tournaments to decide which Free weekend they might organise there own tournament on. surely organisers realise 100% attendance is a never attainable thing some people can make it whilst others can't.

all's i'm suggesting is a basic calendar for majors with which local / area tournaments can then organise themselves around, which then sets up a full annual tournament schedule, perhaps on a state by state basis, which will allow all bowlers to plan their schedule well in advance.

TBA have this already in the form of accreditation numbers issued. all's that needs to be done is these issued numbers listed by state so that we the bowlers can see what was done previously. then we the bowlers can contact whichever centre to see if the tournament they ran in April this year is running again in April next year.

i realise i'm getting a little off topic but for the sake of a 12 majors calendar lending itself to a full listing of all tournaments why not look at the big picture.

Shoey

It is a shame that a Ranked Youth Event (Melbourne Youth Cup) and the South Pacific are scheduled for the same weekend - many of the Youth bowlers will now be forced into decision making.

Flower

It is a shame that a Ranked Youth Event (Melbourne Youth Cup) and the South Pacific are scheduled for the same weekend - many of the Youth bowlers will now be forced into decision making.
Flower

Yes it will and not only that but Youth Bowlers have a tournament after Melbourne Youth in Queensland which is Aspley Youth Cup the week after. As Youth have gone from 8 to 10. If you also look at the tournaments in May and June there isn't much turn around for Youth and Adult Events thats if the Youth Bowlers wanted to bowl the Adult Events.
Something has to be done.

Back
Top Bottom