2009 RANKED TOURNAMENTS

Is this many tournaments good for the success of these tournaments.

• Yes

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CHIN

1 Fri 16 Jan Sun 18 Jan Cairns QLD 2009 Cairns Open
2 Sat 24 Jan Sun 25 Jan Crossroads SA SA Cup
3 Sat 21 Mar Sun 22 Mar Joondalup WA Joondalup Cup
4 Sat 11 Apr Mon 13 Apr Sunshine VIC Australian Open
5 Fri 15 May Sun 17 May Planet Bowl NT Arafura Classic singles
6 Fri 22 May Sun 24 May Cannon Hill Qld K and K Classic
7 Sat 06 Jun Mon 08 Jun Epping VIC Melbourne Cup
8 Sat 04 Jul Sun 05 Jul Macarthur NSW NSW Open
9 Sat 01 Aug Sun 02 Aug Mackay QLD 2009 Mackay Open
10 Fri 05 Sep Sat 06 Sep Burdekin Bowl QLD 2009 North Queenlsand Burdekin Open
11 Fri 11 Sep Sun 13 Sep Castle Hill NSW South Pacific Classic
12 Sat 03 Oct Fri 23 Oct Mt Gravatt QLD 48th Australian Nationals All Events
13 Fri 23 Oct Sat 24 Oct Mt Gravatt QLD National Adult Masters
14 Sat 07 Nov Mon 09 Nov Townsville QLD Cavalier Homes NQ Sun City Open
15 Sat 05 Dec Sun 06 Dec Tuggernong ACT Australian Cup

Is so many ranked tournaments good for the success of these tournaments.

Are the Tournaments usually full or only 60%, 75%, 90%? I think your answer lies in the figures of attendance. I don't know if they are struggling for entries cause l haven't been around long enough, but l think the old ATBA series in Vic died off due to lack of entries. Only the majors kept going.

So you are talking about nationally ranked tournament.

This has been raised before but I think this is far too many Tournys. It should be Limited 1 per state - no exceptions. All other tournamets should state ranked only.

Dave

Unless these tournaments can offer the chance for all finalists to make a profit, then yes, it's too many.

And can someone please give me a logical explanation as to why the Arufura Singles continues to attract rankings points? Shouldn't the fact that it attracts less than 30 male entries year in and year out mean something?..
Remember, I asked for a LOGICAL reason. lol We already know the true reason.

Wayne Chester
What is the true reason? And is the true reason as you see it just more Chester fiction? Do you ever check that what you write is true and can any bowers actually believe anything you write?

Ando

Wayne,
I do not know what reason you are referring to but Arafura Classic Singles guarantee top 4 prize fund for Men and Top 3 for Women regardless of the number of entries and we give the winners a free entry the following year. If you look at the number of female entries you will see that it is many more than some of the women's events in the other states. Each year another finalist has guaranteed prizemoney as sponsorship comes on board. The event every second year is part of the Arafura Games which is now recognised by the IOC just like Commonwealth Games, Asian Games etc. The 2009 event is being promoted by ABF and for the first time the event falls as part of the Arafura Games although not a medal event because the bowlers pay an entry fee. Already we have interest from Brunei, Malaysian and Singaporean bowlers in nominating their preferred squad. This is what we have been working towards for the last few years.
I am not a Board member of TBA, have nothing to do with any decisions made in regard to Ranked events, Nationals or any other NSO business so perhaps you can enlighten me as to why Arafura Classic Singles attracts rankings points when we simply apply, pay our money and provide the NSO with the payout figures in regards to entries.
June Voukolos

The event every second year is part of the Arafura Games which is now recognised by the IOC just like Commonwealth Games, Asian Games etc.....

The 2009 event is being promoted by ABF and for the first time the event falls as part of the Arafura Games...

??? So it's part of the Arafura Games every second year, but 2009 will be the first time it's part of the games? :confused:

Could you clarify this, June? Not having a go at anyone, just a little confused.

I don't have a problem with the number of ranked events, but I would like to see some sort of weighting given to the events based on who actually attends. It would make sense to get more points for winning an event that had say 25 of the countrys' top 30 bowlers (eg, SPC) than one with 5 or 10 of them.

If the tournaments are well run, good value for money, and well promoted, they will attract bowlers. K&K has had a wait list the last two years, Sun City was full months before the event. Both are well run events, and the bowlers are made to feel welcome and appreciated.

Wayne, bowlers are not going to make money cutting in all but the top couple of events in Australia. That is something that is not going to change without major money being injected into Australian tournaments. Fringe bowlers don't bowl to make a profit, they bowl to test their skills against 'elite' cometition, to improve their games and in many cases to bowl with the bowlers they look up to. It wouldn't hurt for some the top echelon of our sport to remember that every new tournament bowler they make feel welcome at these (or any other) events is a bowler that just might come back for the next one.

Our tournaments are kept alive by people who, like me, simply love to bowl. Some of our TD's out there need to remember that - bowlers will go back to tournaments that they enjoyed, and you don't necessarily have to bowl well or cash to enjoy yourself (although it does help!).

The Sun City is the perfect example - Skins Friday night to break the ice, the Calcutta afterwards where a lot of the bowlers get to mix & mingle with many of the higher profile bowlers, good atmosphere, and a bit of a feed after the event.

I'd like to see pro-am type formats introduced to some of our majors, if only to raise the profile of our top bowlers with the rest of the bowling populace. Especially juniors, who tend to be the most difficult group to retain - bowling a pro-am with the likes of George, AMP, Belmo etc could be a crystallising moment for a fledgling bowling career.

Just some thoughts.

Certainly I agree about bowlers being made welcome and some of the Tournament Directors around Australia do an exceptional job.
Arafura Games normally has the closing ceremony for the Games on Saturday evening meaning that our final event is not over at that time. Arafura Games is run by the NT Government and our sport is only 1 of 26 in the Games so our dates of add on events do not have an impact in the overall program of the Games. Arafura Games is a free event, teams from countries, states and regions compete for free in Singles, Doubles and Trios, only paying lineage for Masters. These events are medal events. The Arafura Classic is our finale cash event, hence no medals and this year the closing ceremony falls on Sunday evening after our final event is finished so it is more bowler friendly to the other countries athletes who are part of the Games.
Everyone talks about there being too many ranked events and my personal opinion is that one event from each state, territory and NQ would be a great circuit. However, you do not have to compete in every event to rank well Adult men need 8 events and Adult women, 6 women's events and their best 2 open events. So the bowlers who have to travel and pay airfare's need to pick their events to make it cost effective and enjoyable and obviously if there is one that is in their home state then that helps.
June

June...Don't get your hackles up. If I was alluding to you, I would've made it quite clear by mentioning your name.

Here's the problem as I see it. Any promoter who guarantees a payout of at least $2,000 for first place and a 6/4 ratio for last place in the cut, can have their tournament ranked. There is simply no way a tournament, such as the Arufura Singles, with fewer than 30 entries should hold the same weight as say the South Pacific Classic

Another point I'd like to make is that the TBA continally breaks its own rules and regulations. case in point is the publication of a finacial breakdown, which by the TBAs own rule, MUST be listed on the entry form.
TENPIN BOWLING AUSTRALIA LIMITED
CONDITIONS FOR THE APPROVAL OF TOURNAMENT ACCREDITATIONS

15. Make a complete list of prizes and advertise the break-down of entry fees under the headings.
PRIZE FEE
BOWLING FEE
TOURNAMENT EXPENSES
TOTAL ENTRY FEE

I'm still waiting to see this breakdown on the entry forms.

So can I get this confirmed.....

As per first post, is that the CONFIRMED calendar for 2009? I need to start organising SA's scratch series for next year.

hey michael,

as per tba site, this is only a proposed calendar.. any changes will be up on the site after 30th november.. so i would assume nothing would change seeing as its only a few days away, but hey, it is tba, anything is possible ;)

hope that helps mate..
marty

Back
Top Bottom