Just throwing it out there.....

We were working towards dual membership in the two circuits with Michael (therefore pay for one get membership into the others free) and also no-cashing youth's were going to have a bit thrown their way for the next JYC, possibly the whole entry now if that's not encouraging cohesion between these two circuits what is??

Btw these were proposals Michael and I were putting together.

Tony yes you did and I remember thanking you at the time for that it was very generous of you, but could you find it in your heart to do it again??

Dion

You and brenton stay positive and keep your head in the clouds on this.
Me,I'll keep my feet on the ground and stick with reality.

Reality? Or negativity?

There is no doubt that the sport is not as healthy as it used to be. However, any resurgence and/or re-education has to start somewhere. Someone has to draw a line in the sand and just do it. So what if the same old faces turn up, maybe they might learn something, (oh that's right, they know it all anyway, don't ever need to practise to be successful, etc).

Reality? Here's reality!

Times and attitudes change. Things go in cycles. How fast tournament bowling returns to the up cycle depends on how the current crop of players/administrators etc go about putting together new circuits with new ideas. The old ways are GONE, and for many of the reasons you put forward Tony, will never return. Things have to be done differently and better.

But then my head is in the clouds so what do I know?

Sorry Brenton,
I forgot it goes in cycles and takes time as I remember on one of your posts long ago.
I assume your cycle 10 plan of not finishing in the bottom 4 every year is about to change then.
Last year training every week will certainly pay off soon.

Maybe you should try out for the seniors team, and see the atmosphere of the older years rachuig had. Oh sorry I see you bowled a couple of senior events but gave up.
Ashame we could have done with someone of your ability in the team.

cheers

Tony

Guys,

This is not the place for a slanging match. This thread is about trying to get a feel for exactly how many people out there are willing to play a sport series in Adelaide.

Yes there is an amount of preparation involved, but I'm happy to do it. I believe with a little motivation and belief, collectively as a state of bowlers, we can make this happen.

I plan on making a trip out to all centres in Metro Adelaide (to the country bowlers, I deeply sympathise, I think I would be going WELL over and above the call of duty if I did) to get the word out and rustle up some interest. Hopefully we can get the pricing right AND make it a worthwile prize fund at the same time.

No, it may not be as profitable as some of us would like, but I believe it will give us an opportunity to practice on some tournament patterns against some good opponents.

The interest in this topic is fantastic. Please keep talking about it, but please try to keep the negativity out. Sometimes you can create your own luck by thinking 'good' things.......Who knows? Good things might start to happen.

This is what I like to see, some good reading material.

The debate between whether bowling on ditches or tough conditions is ultimately going to affect the number of bowlers that bowl a tournament.
For those who think putting tough conditions down is going to drag the bowlers out of the woodwork. Well, I believe SPC was tough. 1st post as soon as the tournament finished was:-

just thought i would post the question and find out from some of the other bowlers about the pattern that was put down because with a bowler like me that hasnt got a big shot i wont be bowling on a pattern like that again

Probably not the only person that feels that way. People are not going to waste there money to bowl crap. People like to see or feel like they have bowled well, even if they are kidding themselves by bowling on ditches.

If you get over 20 bowlers supporting a Sports Series on a regular basis I would be very surprised. I hope im wrong.
Would I support it. YES. Do I think it will last. NO.

Unfortunately you would need the support of the Youth & Senior bowlers who have there own circuits for a Sports Series to be successful. And with them bowling 8-12 tournaments a year in there own circuits I dont think the support will be there for another 6-7 tournaments they will bowl in on a regular basis.

The Youth bowlers need to support something like this now if its going to be successful or when they hit 23 they'll find there in the same boat the 24-44 age bracket are in now. And who'll be b.i.t.c.h.i.n.g then.

Is this Negative:- Possibly.
Is this Realistic:- Yes.

Robert,
People are not going to waste there money to bowl crap. People like to see or feel like they have bowled well, even if they are kidding themselves by bowling on ditches.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Actually I agree with everything you said.

Tough conditions will not fill tournaments.

Like I said it will only apply to a few dedicated people out there.

cheers

Tony

Just my 2 cents worth, l have just come back from Perth where l bowled the Nationals and managed the Mens State Team and the condition they laid down was reasonably easy (l think 3 - 300's bowled and numerous 270 +'s in 12 days or so) as l bowled an average of somewhere around 210 or so and l am not a 200 plus bowler by any means, but as someone said if you have a go at a tournament and bowl well but do not win and bowled a high average you walk away feeling good about yourself, rather than having a condition that is hard and you have really think about it all the time and that leaves no time to enjoy your bowling or the people around you after all isn't it about having fun?? At the end of the day no matter how high the averages are there will always be a winner and those that didn't cash will still feel good about the way they bowled..

Just my 2 cents worth, l have just come back from Perth where l bowled the Nationals and managed the Mens State Team and the condition they laid down was reasonably easy (l think 3 - 300's bowled and numerous 270 +'s in 12 days or so) as l bowled an average of somewhere around 210 or so and l am not a 200 plus bowler by any means, but as someone said if you have a go at a tournament and bowl well but do not win and bowled a high average you walk away feeling good about yourself, rather than having a condition that is hard and you have really think about it all the time and that leaves no time to enjoy your bowling or the people around you after all isn't it about having fun?? At the end of the day no matter how high the averages are there will always be a winner and those that didn't cash will still feel good about the way they bowled..

Which, in my opinion, is why this will never be perceived as a true sport,either within or outside the bowling community, rather a recreation that requires less skill than most other "real" sports.

Sad but true

hi michael

send me some infomation and i will do my best to put at least 10 names on papper for your sports series of 180 plus bowlers from salisbury that dont normally bowl tourny`s

lets do somthing positive in stead of wondering if this will ever happen i have set this as a personal goal of mine

are there any other bowls willing to do this come get on board and lets make this happen ?

graham simpson

Then why is it then Brenton that some people don't have the skill to bowl on all these so called ditches?

If your talking skill, let's go one step further and get rid of all these you beaut bowling balls that make the game easier................but that would be percieved as a backward step, wouldn't it.

But then that would clash with your own personal interest then, wouldn't it!

I see post recently of Salisbury people not coping with tough condition out there.
How the hell are they going to cope with sports conditions?

cheers

Tony

Then why is it then Brenton that some people don't have the skill to bowl on all these so called ditches?
If your talking skill, let's go one step further and get rid of all these you beaut bowling balls that make the game easier................but that would be percieved as a backward step, wouldn't it.
But then that would clash with your own personal interest then, wouldn't it!
I see post recently of Salisbury people not coping with tough condition out there.
cheers
Tony

No conflict of interest in this for me. I no longer own the pro shop (only work there casually) and what we sell at Denver in the High/Mid level performance ball lines are only a small part of the business. I have no issue with taking the high end balls out of the game, just try and get the manufacturers to do that! After all THAT is where the conflict of interest would be as they effectively own the sport and it would be against THEIR best interests to do that. The lane conditions are the only aspect of the sport that can be controlled by the governing bodies/tournament promoters in order to improve the standard of its participants.

As for those who "don't have the skill to bowl on these so called ditches", every sport/recreation has a majority of participants and players that have lesser ability or skills. That is what makes a sport a sport.

Changing the attitudes of participants/players won't happen overnight. Indeed it may take half a generation or more. I don't think anyone ever said it would be easy.

Hey Tony,

You make me laugh mate,your always going on about these new balls!!!!!!!!

I got some news for you....There here to stay...lol,and there aint much anyone can do about it me thinks.

...A truer statement i have not read,but i still believe that people want to test themselves,and hopefully see where they really are in there bowling ability!
Maybe there could be one round in this S.A. Sport Series bowled with plastic balls only?????????? That would be interesting.

I have a question for you Tony....you have been there done that back in the day,could you please comment on what the entry fees for a major Aussie tournament say back in 1990 was and how long and what amounts the payout were back then and approx what the ave wage was,and then maybe compare that to todays costs of entering comps and the payouts of today.

I believe that the payout figures have shrunk considerably,What are your thoughts?

Cheers and keep smiling

Paul K.

I still have Paul in my vault I think of tournament cost and payouts etc, will look into it for you.
I mean lets face it wages have risen, entry fees have risen payouts not so much, but I think the main thing that contributes to that is the volume of bowlers bowling.

We had the 124 in the barossa cup, we had the 186 bowling in the S.A. Cup and so on.
We also had the smaller amount bowling local tournaments 40 - 80 bowlers.

I know know that that people priorities have changed a little, and i think bowling suffers because of it.

I agree with brenton that everything goes in cycles, and one day it will be bowling again that prevails............

Who Knows........

Cheers

Tony

I was reading one of your old posts?

Might be wrong, if so , Sorry if you dont think that, I do.

Cheers

Tony

Someone tell me where the heck pay rates have risen????

Tim not Mel

That sure as hell doesnt let me even bowl league let alone tournaments with the great pay rate Im on.

Plus anyone ask the centres really do tournaments make money again with all those sponmsorship dollars these arguments have been around for as long as Ive been involved in this sport but hey somebodies got to support those people who want to throw a ball at stationary objects 60 ft away.

Thanks for listening hope I havent droned on for to long

Back
Top Bottom