How to promote bowling?

I get told to shut up heaps of times cause i talk to much about it at the bowl and at home. Lol.

It would be an absolute disgrace if TBA have failed to issue a press release TODAY for Jason Belmonte's achievements.
This would be one of the best opportunities ever in Australia to put Bowling on mainstream TV Radio and Press organizations.
IF they did issue a press release and all media failed to pick up on it.....Oh my God, bowling is doomed !

I mentioned in another thread fox sports news acknowledged the win also. If a Aussie wins a major in golf or tennis its a big thing in the media, why is then different ? Belmontes win in the world champs was on all the major networks , you'd think this would have been also.

Hi,
After I wrote my previous post I decided to contact the TV networks myself 7,9, 10 and SBS which I did. I no longer have any contacts within the media so my effort was probably wasted.
I would hope the Media Dept in TBA would have taken time to network the industry and have established some re pore with all the major media organizations.
For this reason it does surprise me we failed to have the story run on the Networks. I dont have the names of the right people to contact within each TV Network, but TBA should

Mistagear - I would be VERY surprised if " Elsie " from Tba didn't do releases to all media.... In my opinion she has all the right contacts - and uses them well!
Elsie - where are you ? Tell us what happened.

I am sure Lynne has pumped the news out to all the appropriate places, it is a shame this hasn't been picked up through more mainstream channels, we have our most marketable bowler in the country, and quite possibly on the planet right in our own back yard (and whilst Jase has done a truckload for the sport in this country already), there is so much more that can be done, but no doors seem to be opening. Only the second non US guy to win a major and it barely makes a ripple.

We relased yesterday that brunswick staffers are coming to the coast and made one fone call nd it was on chennel 9 last night. They will also be doing a story on the tournament we having aswell and than again wen the pros get here. Sometimes its not sitting back asking who has done this or have done wat, for me its more about picking up the phone and doing it urself if u feel so passiont about it thats wat i am doing and i feel that if every bowl that has a big event or just a local one get onto your local media i.e paper, radio and the news ch its working for me here.

Just think if everyone took it on their own back and did abit of the work we just might just might get the game of tenpin bowling a house hold name again we all just pull togther.

Just my thoughts.

We relased yesterday that brunswick staffers are coming to the coast and made one fone call nd it was on chennel 9 last night. They will also be doing a story on the tournament we having aswell and than again wen the pros get here. Sometimes its not sitting back asking who has done this or have done wat, for me its more about picking up the phone and doing it urself if u feel so passiont about it thats wat i am doing and i feel that if every bowl that has a big event or just a local one get onto your local media i.e paper, radio and the news ch its working for me here.

Just think if everyone took it on their own back and did abit of the work we just might just might get the game of tenpin bowling a house hold name again we all just pull togther.

Just my thoughts.

Dougy, you're entirely right. It's always been relatively easy with local ( not metropolitan _ TV. ) People just have to make the effort. Back in the mid-nineties I had little segments on local TV ( NBN ) here in Ballina. Had quite a long segment, when we ran a Tournament. Brief, but good segments when we had bowlers selected as Overseas Reps - e.g Cameron Walsh. High Games / all sorts of things, plus we got good coverage in local newspapers. Sure, we wrote the articles, but easy to get published. That still happens here to-day, with Cameron and Emma running the show.
Fairly easy to do, but it doesn't do itself.
If everyone, in all the regional areas put their shoulder to the wheel, while they may not have instant success - they would break through, and , who knows, it may even trickle thru to Metro areas in some form.
Don't just wait for someone else to fix it.

I believe that every bowling center should have atleast one media person that can take care of things like this it really will help get bowling back out there nd just might help with wat everyone is saying that needs fixed

Hi Mistagear, Mike, Jim and fellow readers …

To answer Jim’s question I’m currently in Auckland – here in my honorary capacity wearing two hats and running ragged as Secretary-General and Media Director for the Commonwealth Tenpin Bowling Federation and doing my darndest to get media coverage for the sport here in NZ, and throughout the world … even before I came over here I was priming the Australian media and working as many angles as possible in the lead up to the event, and I’m glad to say there has been some good response and coverage from the media in most of the four Australian cities in which the Aussie CTBF team members are based.

Since arriving here just over a week ago, I have pumped out at least one media release per day, and followed up local media here and overseas constantly with emails, text messages and phone calls to raise the excitement level of the Championship and the sport generally.

In the midst of this, Belmo won the USBC Masters, and of course I was absolutely delighted … for Jason, for his family, and for our sport in Australia … as many others have pointed out in this forum, this international success undoubtedly lifts the profile of bowling and encourages participation.

Mike rightly says “we have our most marketable bowler in the country, and quite possibly on the planet right in our own back yard (and whilst Jase has done a truckload for the sport in this country already), there is so much more that can be done, but no doors seem to be opening. Only the second non US guy to win a major and it barely makes a ripple”.

Naturally, I couldn’t let the opportunity pass and went into overdrive on Monday with every media contact I have access to in order to alert them to Belmo’s win. From the back room at Pins Lincoln Road Bowl in downtown Auckland that I’m currently working from I implemented as widespread a media campaign as possible, and in addition to the immediate coverage that followed I have secured commitments from both Fox Sports and ABC TV for further appearances when Jason can get into the studios etc. Via the TBA website, it was announced that the stepladder finals that had aired live in the US on Sunday night would be televised in Australia on Tuesday, 26 Feb at 4pm.

This post is already too long, but just wanted to assure you that ‘the TBA Media Dept’ is doing its utmost to capitalize on Jason’s spectacular win last weekend.

The fact is, however, we are talking about a ‘Dept’ that consists of one person who has many responsibilities with the sport, most of which are fulfilled on an honorary basis. I am retained by TBA on a very limited, part-time basis only and yet devote an inordinate percentage of my waking hours promoting and marketing bowling in Australia and overseas.

I joined totalbowlling many years ago but sometimes it’s days or weeks between visits or comments .. I logged in today to gauge the reaction to what I believe is great news that Robbie and his team have secured the 2013 Adult Nationals in Townsville and strayed into this thread which includes some absolutely brilliant fresh thinking and suggestions on how to promote our sport.

When I realised the topic had moved into other areas, I had to respond although it’s almost 10pm in Auckland and the final day/second round of the CTBF Masters begins in less than 12 hours.

The bottom line is this … it’s impossible for the sport to be successfully promoted in Australia by one person, and indeed a part-time resource at that. This is blatantly obvious, and the sensible recommendations I see here reflect my heartfelt conviction that a coordinated approach by a team that extends throughout the country is what is needed….

Dougy’s recommendation that “every bowling center should have at least one media person that can take care of things like thisis the ideal, and as this may take some time to achieve, I urge everyone to follow Jim’s advice ‘to put their shoulders to the wheel’ in their local regions.

Finally, I sincerely believe a coordinated approach has the most chance of success, and I will endeavour to develop a framework that TBA can implement nationally. The old saying that there’s strength in numbers surely applies, and I truly believe coordination is also vital.

Cheers,

lc (Elsie)

Lynne, you were the ATBCs best asset. I am disappointed that you don't have all the assistance / support / staff etc, that could lift bowlong to quite high levels. You are certainly capable of it.

Jim

Lynne,
Thank you for your responses, both here and to email.
I look forward to assisting you in some small way to promote Tenpin Bowling and urge everyone interested in the Sport to seek every opportunity to promote Bowling.

I wonder if TBA emailed every member and asked for their help in a "people power" type campaign, where everyone phoned/emailed their local media TV/Radio Stations requesting more tenpin bowling sport reports, mentioning Jasons and the current Commonwealth Team's achievements to highlight the lack of reporting on the sport ?

Ok, thank you for to our political leaders for going out to Rooty Hill this week. It's is now lunch time of day one and the AMF Bowling sign has been in the back ground of a lot of the interviews. Front and center.

Even the reporters have mentioned that a person dressed as a bowling pin has been walking around. You can't pay for that kind of coverage.

Ok, thank you for to our political leaders for going out to Rooty Hill this week. It's is now lunch time of day one and the AMF Bowling sign has been in the back ground of a lot of the interviews. Front and center.

Even the reporters have mentioned that a person dressed as a bowling pin has been walking around. You can't pay for that kind of coverage.

Rooty Hill RSL Opportunity
Seeing the Prime Minister is generating all this publicity for our ex-Nationals venue, how about seeing if she can be got to bowl a few frames with the 'westies' she's out to impress with her 'I'm one of you ' campaign.
Definately plenty of publicity. I'm not going to commit myself if it's good publicity, or bad publicity. ( If there is such a thing !!)

After all, Kevvie has had a lot of media coverage lately, lawn bowling !!!​

Back
Top Bottom