Finger inserts or no finger inserts???

dacrim

I have recently got a new ball and was advised not to put finger inserts in as it voids the warenty, which is fair enough. My problem is that I have always had inserts in my last two balls and after bowling with my new ball for about two weeks the ball still just dosent feel right, hense im thinking of getting inserts put in.

I would like to know what others opinions are on inserts are whether you prefer bowling with or with out inserts. Have you gone from a ball with inserts to a ball without inserts and how long did it take for it to feel comfortable ect.

Inserts do NOT void the warranty, unless the problem is caused by having inserts in the ball. Generally this will mean cracking around the fingers, caused by either a bridge that is too narrow (less than 1/4 inch) or by the driller not bevelling the finger holes before putting in the inserts. Sharp edges are weak points, apart from the fact that they chew pins to bits, so all holes (including those for finger inserts and thumb slugs) should be bevelled enough to round them off.
Most common problem is the bridge cracking through from one hole to the other. With inserts, it won't affect the ball or the feel, so who cares? If it happens and it worries you, fill the crack with Araldite.

If it doesn't feel right without inserts, put inserts in. Or get the finger holes ovalled out, and stick some soft tape in the front of the holes. Often it is the shape of the inserts that you get used to - oval fingers in round holes are never going to feel right.

Cheers, Robbie

i went back to no inserts recently using insert tape where it was needed, ive gotten used to the stiff edge the ball gives you, now i quite like it because it sits right up against the joint. Its also good for when your fingers swell up, just pull a little bit of tape out and you are right to go.

I would reccomend it for anyone that is having problems with inbetween lifter sizes :)

I played fingertip without inserts for many years. Only a few years back i got inserts put in after getting arthritis in my bowling hand. After i got arthritis in my thumb which made it about twice the size across, i got a slug and i have never regretted getting them.

I only wish i had got inserts sooner. I helped so much with getting lift on the ball and increasing my control and hook. I would recommend them if you want to improve your game.

I only hope the slug can be removed intact. In my poly-urethane ball the plug from when i changed to fingertip had cracked and chipped. Am hoping the slug can come out without a new one because its so hard getting it correct with my silly enlarged thumb.

Hey MinusZero
It is unlikely that the slug can be removed intact, but a moulding can be taken from the slug before it is drilled out. Then a new slug can be made off the mould and inserted in the repaired ball.

From then on, every thumb hole will feel the same.

Patrick Birtig at Moorabbin has the right equipment to do this and I guess there are others in each state who can make similar moulds.

Hope this helps.

Sumo

I have had the same driller do three inserts for me, he is also my bowling team mate so he knows my game better than anyone.

I just hope he kept the measurements handy for my last ball i had drilled about 3 months ago.

Finger Inserts Or No Finger Inserts?

DACRIM - Robbie summed it up perfectly: Inserts do NOT void the warranty, unless the problem is caused by having inserts in the ball.

If you haven't already done so, take your new ball & have a pair of inserts installed. If you want a good quality pair of inserts I would recommend a pair of Turbo Quads. They are called Quads because they are a 4 in 1 insert (Perfect Oval, Perfect Oval Mesh, Power Oval & Round Mesh). The Quads range in size from 19/32 to 29/32. Each size in between 19/32 & 29/32 vary by 1/64 of an inch so I doubt you will have any problems getting a comfortable fit.

Turbo also has a thumb product called the Switch Grip. The Switch Grip is an interchangeable thumb slug. If your thumb is constantly changing size the Switch grip could be an asset to you. You no longer have to mess around with tape or enlarge your thumb hole whilst you are in the middle of a tournament. Simply twist out the slug and twist in a smaller or larger slug.

Visit www.turbogrips.com for more information.

Brando
www.turbogrips.com

www.brandosproshop.com
[email protected]
0411 659 225

Back
Top Bottom