how far in is best?

• Thread starter The Space Cowboy
  • Start date
T

The Space Cowboy

I've been bowling for approximately 10 years and have always bowled straight, with moderate success. However I'm looking to try to learn to hook bowl which would more than likely mean a new ball (that will go down well with the missus as I have just had one for christmas!!!). But I have heard that some hook bowlers use a conventional finger grip and others use a "fingertip grip", whereby the fingers are inserted into the holes to only the first knuckle. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these grips in relation to hook bowling and which grip would be best for someone learning to hook bowl?

The Space Cowboy ](*,)

If you're just starting to learn how to bowl hook you should probably just start with a conventional grip. When you feel comfortable bowling hook then you can change to a fingertip grip, which will allow you to get more revs on the ball.

wouldnt it be better to start with finger tip so you dont get hooked on using conventional and have to in efect learn to bowl it twice? i know im learning finger tip when i start in a week or two.

C O'Shea

If you want to hook the ball you need to do two things first ,1 find a coach that will teach the Skills Drills,these should have some form of certificate,2 get yourself a second hand ball of reasonable condition, preferably urethane or reactive urethane and get it drilled fingertip.There's no need spending up big on a new ball until you start to average over 190,why because until you hit 190 you are missing a lot of spares so the money saved on buying new equipment would be better spent on coaching and practice.
To answer your question on the difference between conventional and fingertip is the extra time the fingers stay in to exert lift on the ball,it may seem minute but thats all it takes.
Now most people won't know this but the first person to bowl 900 for three games ( 300-300-300 ) Glen Allison only bowled with a conventional drilled ball and it was plastic.
willey

I always believed the first 900 was bowled by Jeremy Sonnenfeld. This is backed up by this news release http://www.bowlingindex.com/News/900.htm
Glen Allison did bowl one before hand but it was not recognised because the lane conditions were not in compliance with ABC rules at the time. This can be found here... http://www.bowling-biz.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=50
So I guess there is some bowling history for you all.
As for Space Cowboy, Willey is on the right track. Learn the basics and then advance your bowling equipment, you'll be a better bowler for it.

Later Da Cowman!

The da-cowman is right technically speaking, but the lane conditions Glenn Allison bowled on would certainly pass today.Still a lot of people in America have been trying to reverse that decision not to award the 900.
Even the May edition of Bowlers Journal ( the Bible ) has a story on high three game series,by the editor, with a picture of Glenn Allison with the title Mr 900.
willey

Just to add to my last post he was still the first to bowl 900 whether it was ratified or not.
The point I was making was he only used a conventional grip and did it with a plastic ball.
willey.

The Space Cowboy said:
I've been bowling for approximately 10 years and have always bowled straight, with moderate success. However I'm looking to try to learn to hook bowl which would more than likely mean a new ball (that will go down well with the missus as I have just had one for christmas!!!). But I have heard that some hook bowlers use a conventional finger grip and others use a "fingertip grip", whereby the fingers are inserted into the holes to only the first knuckle. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these grips in relation to hook bowling and which grip would be best for someone learning to hook bowl?
The Space Cowboy ](*,)

I started bowling quite young and never had any coaching, even now i havent and have only picked up tips along the way.

i only bowled straight for about a year before learning hook with the conventional grip. After probably another year, a year of experience with hooking the ball, although very little, i changed to fingertip and havent looked back.

In my opinion fingertip will give more consistant hook on the ball and a more accurate delivery... and then higher scoring

The one regret I have in years of bowling is that I did not start out with fingertip. Everyone told me go conventional to start with, work your average up to a certain figure and then go fingertip.
I've never yet heard anyone justify the wisdom of those words.
It takes only a few games to get used to it, it's really not that difficult.

Space Cowboy,
It is common to hear that "fingertip" is harder to learn than "conventional", and that the natural progression is to learn to bowl conventional first, then progress...
The fact is, as a coach, it is just as easy learning to bowl fingertip correctly from the beginning as it is conventional. Going fingertip early is probably more beneficicial to someone who is dedicated to learning to bowl, as it eliminates the need to change, and drop in average, once they develop.
A few points for consideration -
* This is a personal choice you need to make. You have to want to go hook and fingertip, and be willing to dedicate the time to learn. It will take time.
* You need to work with a coach who knows what they are doing. Work through the specific drills.
* Forget the new ball for now, get a reasonable second hand ball so it can be drilled fingertip. Sometimes it may take a few goes to get the drilling right for you.
* If you are serious about progressing with your bowling, I would recommend fingertip as it has a much higher potential. If you choose fingertip, learn to hook and fingertip at the same time - it won't be that hard.

Good luck,
Mike Griffith.

Back
Top Bottom