Finger Grips

I'm wondering what other bowlers thoughts are on using finger grips,Thumb slugs etc

The reason I ask is I just recently stepped up to a reactive ball and when I had it drill I was told if I hadn't used finger grips before I didn't need them??

They seem to be used a lot.

Any thoughts???

I was told if I hadn't used finger grips before I didn't need them??

Could this be taken as.....
"Since you havent used grips before and are not used to the feel of them, you can try Fingertip without them as you dont need to have them for Finger Tip Drillings"

Could this be taken as.....
"Since you havent used grips before and are not used to the feel of them, you can try Fingertip without them as you dont need to have them for Finger Tip Drillings"

Yeah I think thats what he meant
I guess the question I'm asking is Do I need them
Ive been bowling fingertip for a few years new without them should I be using them what advantage are they??

Hi Nev

In my opinion, its comes down to the individual..... I know bowlers who wont use grips as they prefer the feel of the actual hole and others who prefer the feel of grips.

I suppose an advantage of using grips would be the ease of changing the grip size....I was told once that grips assisted with lift, but people like Scoops throw that theory out of the water :p

Im unsure of any drilling advantages of using grips....Maybe Tonx can advise on that?

Drilling advantages?

It's possible to take out more fingerweight by using grips? This in turn would mean a longer pin to cg distance wouldn't be needed to keep the ball legal for pin above drillings. Apart from that, any driller worth his weight in salt should be able to drill both styles with no problems.

The difference is the grip offers a completely different feel. Thats about it really.

For whatever reason, over the past 6months have had problems with swelling fingertips, and there is several different ways to offer an expandable finger-grip (aka vacu-gripping) hence I have gone back to using grips. Drilling Vacu-style grips takes a bit of practise (especially without the grip caps), so please ask the driller if he has done them before if you are wanting to try them.

I would probably suggest trying grips on a second hand ball, or an older ball if you have never, just to see how it goes.

All the best mate...

ditched inserts and went back to the ball. Drilled the finger holes slightly larger to compensate for any swelling, use a couple pieces of grip tape to take up any slack when needed :)

As tony said, its simply a preference thing, they can help replicate feel between balls and can give you a soft surface to grip with. Personally i just got sick of being stuck between sizes (ie one too big, one too small) and having to replace them every 3-4 months or so when they wore flat. I dont know where i would be without grip tape :)

A note on fingertip without using grips:

For the short time that I tried this, I found I could definately feel when I lifted the ball properly, compared to using finger grips. It helped me get my release consistent, but in the end, I got fed up with it because i felt i was getting TOO much lift, & over hooking.

A note on fingertip without using grips:

For the short time that I tried this, I found I could definately feel when I lifted the ball properly, compared to using finger grips. It helped me get my release consistent, but in the end, I got fed up with it because i felt i was getting TOO much lift, & over hooking.
That's an interesting point. Some grips have a lip on the edge, which makes the grip hold your finger longer. This gives the illusion of more lift, when usually you're just burning your skin.

You don't "need" grips, but may find you like using them. Try them in an old ball and decide after a good couple of sessions. I recommend Vise Grips. They're not too soft, last longer and the oval shape has a great contour.

I use grips to allow me to use a bunch of reverse pitch in the fingers to get less lift and loft, as today's gear demands a quieter hand at the release. I actually prefer holes, but have got better results with grips. As for flat grips, that's how I like 'em best! Takes about three weeks to squash a pair good! ;)

I have noticed that some grips are softer than others. I chase around for the slightly harder ones but then again I am a 'once a week bowler' but while bowling fingertip I prefer the consistency of having a thumb slug rather than the varied texture inside the ball for thumb to grip on

Back
Top Bottom