Chatting

D

-d-_-b-

Ok i am going to have to word this very carefully as i know this topic is touchy to begin with.

The reason i am writing this is in responce to Milkman closing the intercentre topic afer concern of people "chatting" and his dislike to it.

I am mainly wondering, where is the concern of chatting, and moreso whats the difference between this "chatting" and discussion on a bowling topic?

I haven't been on this board for overly long, however i have noticed a decline in posts over few months i have been participating in it.

I know personally i am erring toward other boards as each time a check this one nothing much is being said. The reason is because if you are purely limited to posting educated opinions on bowling limited matter than if there aren't any tournaments on then there isn't really that much to talk about.

The area where i am concerned is where educated discussion decays into mere chatting?

The post which was closed as a result of repeat chatting offences was focusing recently on a game between two bowlers, i fail to see the discussion about this as different to posting and discussion on THE ODDS by belmo, or posting up the bowling cards in the general forum. Where is the difference, its all bowling related, and all of could equally take part on icq or through email???

I am just confussed as to why such a stance was taken against the intercentre post, and more particularly the exact reasons as to its occurance

Here Here Stu
icon_smile.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_cool.gif

Ok i am going to have to word this very carefully as i know this topic is touchy to begin with.

The reason i am writing this is in responce to Milkman closing the intercentre topic afer concern of people "chatting" and his dislike to it.

I am mainly wondering, where is the concern of chatting, and moreso whats the difference between this "chatting" and discussion on a bowling topic?

I haven't been on this board for overly long, however i have noticed a decline in posts over few months i have been participating in it.

I know personally i am erring toward other boards as each time a check this one nothing much is being said. The reason is because if you are purely limited to posting educated opinions on bowling limited matter than if there aren't any tournaments on then there isn't really that much to talk about.

The area where i am concerned is where educated discussion decays into mere chatting?

The post which was closed as a result of repeat chatting offences was focusing recently on a game between two bowlers, i fail to see the discussion about this as different to posting and discussion on THE ODDS by belmo, or posting up the bowling cards in the general forum. Where is the difference, its all bowling related, and all of could equally take part on icq or through email???

I am just confussed as to why such a stance was taken against the intercentre post, and more particularly the exact reasons as to its occurance

I second this thought. And what if some don't have MSN or ICQ?
And doing it that way, its only limited to the people receiving the email or the messages. This way, everyone that is interested in hearing what is going on within the NSW intercentre community is able to read up on it. I feel that the topic is successful....i mean, 6 pages and something like 10000 views....I'm not saying its not chatting, but at least its meaningful chatter, if we were to chat about what each other did for the rest of teh weekend instead of the bowling, then it would be a fair close! But come on.

And it could of been moved on to the Junior forum, but since that is a national part of the forum, its best left in the state forum and be used to converse about our states efforts in the tournament.

I second this thought. And what if some don't have MSN or ICQ?
And doing it that way, its only limited to the people receiving the email or the messages. This way, everyone that is interested in hearing what is going on within the NSW intercentre community is able to read up on it. I feel that the topic is successful....i mean, 6 pages and something like 10000 views....I'm not saying its not chatting, but at least its meaningful chatter, if we were to chat about what each other did for the rest of teh weekend instead of the bowling, then it would be a fair close! But come on.

And it could of been moved on to the Junior forum, but since that is a national part of the forum, its best left in the state forum and be used to converse about our states efforts in the tournament.

Hey Stu.

Yes l must say Milkman's actions were a bit over the top. As you say what is the difference between "chatting"and discussing a bowling topic. All l did was discuss bowling and made a few challenges which were met. Milkman must have had his reasons but l think it was over the top to close the topic.

l second your opinion Boss.

Take it easy

Hey Stu.

Yes l must say Milkman's actions were a bit over the top. As you say what is the difference between "chatting"and discussing a bowling topic. All l did was discuss bowling and made a few challenges which were met. Milkman must have had his reasons but l think it was over the top to close the topic.

l second your opinion Boss.

Take it easy

May I suggest you take advantage of the chat feature we have on our site for such topics

You are also more than welcome to contact me personally via email if you have any concerns over the closure of the Intercentre topic, I wont be discussing it here

heya all
i agree with both sides
i do think it was unfair that the topis was closed as it was a very popular topic with the intercentre reps to discus what had happened during that round but some of it was chatting and alot was done by myself as u all know alot of people have been making remarks on my chatting in here not only in this forum but the junior one as well.
But Cam it was a bit drastic closing the topic. u could of made a post saying pls keep the chatter to a minimum and we would of cut down on the number of post but closing it?
cum on....
thats my say
catch ya's

Ok... yet again i have to be careful with what i say.

First of all to milkman, my post wasn't specifically directed at the closure of the Intercentre topic... granted my motivation to write the question was as a result of its closure, but that being said my focus was meant to be far broader. ie "chatting" on forum posts and its repurcussions

Secondly, my purpose for posting this topic wasn't to criticise actions taken, or to query steps taken to enforces them. So please don't find the need to justify yourself that wasn't what i was asking for.

Rather i was querying what actually is and isn't classified as "chatting". Previously i posted a topic just trying to find out general information about people on this site, who, even if i was to have the same chatting programs; i wouldn't have the time to converse with sufficiently. Granted that was chatting; I never pursued the matter further. And if you so desire, i am willing to accept your perrogative to close a topic like that

However my concerns lie moreso on what chatting is and where the line is drawn.

Milkman if you would like to explain this to me privately you can email me at [email protected] , however my assumption was always that forum's where a median to provide opinions and discuss them. This probably explains part of my concern of using a "chatting" program, or even trying to deal with issues privately.

However if you're stance on this issue differs, i respect that and look forward to hearing privately from you.

Stuart

Back
Top Bottom