Building an Arsenel

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
Building an Arsenal

Ok I'm just starting to bowl tournaments again and trying to make sure I have the right equipment for most conditions.
I was wondering what people think you need ive seen people say they have 6 balls in their kit.
Obivously you need a hard ball for Spares ( I have a polished Red Pearl hammer i use for Cross lane Spares) so thats covered
So then at the moment I have a Cuda C which is my main ball probably doesnt hook as much as i want so in the heavy oil i have to play a very direct shot standing on 15 shooting 10.
Then i have a Polished Black Ninja which even though its old comes into its own on medium - dry lanes and short oil doesnt do it on the heavy oil like it used to.
Ive just added and about to have drilled a Big time sanded which i plan to be my main ball as well as a Nirtro 2 I picked up cheap.
My perfered area to bowl is ten board and slightly outside standing on 20 however i realise that with most people bowling there i need to start using inside and deep inside lines and have been getting used to it in practise.
Any suggestions as to what kind of balls I will need to add would be great
Cheers
Cam

Gday,

I acutally have some concern for quite alot of bowlers that are looking for an aresenal these days.

Obviously, there should always be a spare ball, a heavy oil ball and a lighter lane ball, however unless the aresenal is built with no overlap whatsoever, the bowler may become confused into which ball to use when...

Based on your information in other posts, you are just comming back into bowling, so perhaps working on sparing and release/timing would benefit you more than buying 6 balls. Perhaps a coach might be money better spent.

the Big Time is a fairly versatile ball for anything heavy. the Nitro (as long as its the new one) will suit for medium; and the ninja and the cuda/c should suit you well for the drier conditions. Spare ball for spares, sounds like a solid 'aresenal' to me.

In time you can replace the older gear with some more modern stuff. Immediate things that come to mind to replace the lighter gear are storm hotrods, visionary gargoyles, or ebonite 'time' series.

Good Luck

tonx said:
Gday,
I acutally have some concern for quite alot of bowlers that are looking for an aresenal these days.
Obviously, there should always be a spare ball, a heavy oil ball and a lighter lane ball, however unless the aresenal is built with no overlap whatsoever, the bowler may become confused into which ball to use when...
Based on your information in other posts, you are just comming back into bowling, so perhaps working on sparing and release/timing would benefit you more than buying 6 balls. Perhaps a coach might be money better spent.
the Big Time is a fairly versatile ball for anything heavy. the Nitro (as long as its the new one) will suit for medium; and the ninja and the cuda/c should suit you well for the drier conditions. Spare ball for spares, sounds like a solid 'aresenal' to me.
In time you can replace the older gear with some more modern stuff. Immediate things that come to mind to replace the lighter gear are storm hotrods, visionary gargoyles, or ebonite 'time' series.
Good Luck

thanks mate

you made some really good points.

money spent on a coach - Check and hes helping heaps as far as timing, my release is suprisingly pretty solid.

the house im bowling at is pretty dry and the cuda is working a treat there but i want to bowl tournaments and thats where i hope the Big Time will kick in.

Its just all starting to click, two weeks ago i was wondering what the #### i was doing back bowling and was struggling to average 160.

Yet this week ive shot 213, 221, 235 last sunday
245 monday
229 and 204 friday night in league
234, 231, 231 today in practise as well as at least a dozen games around the 175- 195 mark.

Scary thought is thats all with the Cuda C the Big Time doesnt even get drilled till tommorow.

Good to hear that you are getting back into the rythm of bowling, with some nice scores being posted recently.

The only problem that I see with the Big Time, (and it isnt even a huge problem at that) is that it is an asymmetric ball. What these balls are designed to do is 'spin' towards a location on the ball called a mass bias. This will look like a very different ball reaction down the lane to what you are used to, and may take some time to consistently get the ball to roll how you want it.

If I was to suggest another ball for 'tournament conditions' it would have to be the Frankie May. This is not only my opinion, but also many other bowlers views as well.

The reason that I would suggest this ball (apart from the fact that I love mine) is that it has a symmetric core in it, therefore having a more predictable 'roll' to it than asymmetric balls have (generally speaking)

I would buff the Big Time to 1000grit polished, (drill it pin above and perhaps 4-4 1/2 by 4 to give you a clean roll on the lanes, with the layout being versatile for most bowlers) and have a Frankie stacked lev (3 3/8ths by 3 /38ths) sanded to 800 for heavier oil patterns. The cuda for dry....

There are many other options from other ball companies out there for an 'arsenal' however im not aware of many companies that make agressive symetrical high performance bowling balls anymore.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom