Breathing

Mankind_280

I've converted #stormnation
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on my game quite a lot this year in regards to consistancy and about a week ago I had a thought

I don't have a consistent breathing pattern

So I pose a question to everyone, what is your shot routine when it comes to breathing.

Do you breathing in before you release or breathe out. Are you even conscious of your breathe?

I'd love an answer from Belmo since his in the country but please everyone help me with this mind bending issue

Regards
James

Hi James

To be honest I don't think about breathing too much normally. If I'm on a string I will stop and think about it more but not anything specific around breathing.

I am sure however that when I start my approach my mouth is closed.

USBC coaching recommends trying diaphragmatic breathing. Diaphragmatic breathing helps you stay physically relaxed and helps the mind focus.

Before your shot take a deep breath in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Some people prefer to do this before stepping on the approach while others do this as they're getting into the stance position. Breathing during your shot is really a subconscious action considering other elements of your game that requires more of your attention .

Most of the time I line up, get ready, breathe in then out as I release. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

And if you do a Maria Shrapova, your bowling ball will get put where the sun dont shine.
G'day Aussie, I am sure that you will have many supporters for telling.... "where the sun don't shine story".... to the winner of the recently shown inaugural and revitalised WPBA tournament. I do think, a discernable grunt during ball release may lead to, in due course, something that may become an undesirable trait.
Congratulations to the WPBA for an extremely well presented,colourful exciting commentary and insights.
I just cannot wait for more of this exciting WPBA bowling.
Fatblack.

Yes, breathing is a good thing to do...

Seriously though, Dean Hinitz's book is great.

Keeping the concept simple: The late great Bill Taylor spoke at length about the power of a deep breath or two before a big shot. It releases the tightness around your torso induced by adrenaline in a pressure situation. Then remind yourself that "it's just a game of bowling, you goose..!" And you'll be fine. :)

Apart from that, don't think about breathing too much. There's enough to do on the approach.

Cheers,
Jason

I've only been bowling for two years but in the few big games I've had where I've managed to string a 4+ bagger together, I generally take one big deep breath before I collect my ball, while drying my hand at the ball return, and then another deep breath after stepping up to my mark on the approach......seems to work pretty well at calming the nerves......although unfortunately it didn't help heading into the 10th frame on a 7 bagger for my all time highest score, nerves still got the best of me and I shanked the strike shot :(

Still managed a 230 though so was happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom