Choosing A Centre? Why did you pick yours?

Toon

OWN IT!
Hey folks,

Been a while since we got one of these going? Having moved around a bit recently I have been through quite a few Centres.

After a talk with a fellow TBer I thought I'd throw it to the public.

I look at different aspects to most league bowlers who love a ditch. I can't stand them.

I am all about a playable pattern that is reasonably consistent, good staff, good atmosphere.

Couldn't care less about high scores, pins that fall over if you whistle at them and big cash leagues.

I know there are certain centres that attract the masses with high scores and prize money leagues, and that's fine.

What drives you to a Centre year after year? Or even, what drives you away from a Centre?

I recently bowled at a Centre with a very bad reputation, but you know what. Sure the lanes were dry as a bone but they was a nice shot there with a urethane.

The staff were fantastic, the approaches were nice, prices were good and there were no issues with ball returns etc like I have seen elsewhere.

All in all I thought it was a decent centre. I know a lot of bowlers would disagree.

Discuss!

I bowl in three different centres every week. One of them, I've been bowling in since I started some 20 years ago. I chose to bowl at a couple of different centres to as it tends to get a bit stale if you bowl multiple leagues in the one centre. Plus, they hall have different surfaces, one of them is still timber. Scoring pace had absolutely zero to do with my decision to bowl in any of these centres. The deciding factor, for me, was the staff at the bowl, and the other league bowlers.

Wow. I can't think of just one..
It all comes down to playability of the lanes for me.
Firstly, the beast (lane machine).. No point spending 100k on the newest, greatest lane machine ever built, If techy has no idea how to maintain it.. Sanction or wick machines, These things are only as good the bloke cleaning it..
Next, backends.. These are more important than the conditioner.. You can lay whatever pattern you like with as much or little conditioner as u like.. If the backends aren't being cleaned properly, it's all a waste..
Thirdly, oil, oil and more oil.. So many types.. Don't be tight, buy the good stuff.. And the right stuff please, don't use wick oil in a sanction machine..
And finally approaches.. Consistent from lane to lane.. I don't mind if they are like ice or mud.. Just so long as different areas of the approach slide differently (poorly maintained synthetics are a huge culprit)

That's just me tho.. Been techy for way too long.. I pride my self on giving my bowlers a consistent session.. I just like the same experience when I bowl

The practice rate for games for my business ( i love to bowl more often than not)

Where my ball driller is located

And the strength of the leagues on offer

Back
Top Bottom