A sad tale ..Centre closed

Hiya,
On a recent trip to Lakes Entrance with the family, we took the kids to Bairnsdale to see a movie, and after go bowling at the local centre. When I found out that it had closed, my kids and in particular myself were rather sad!! (This is probably old news for most)
I was looking forward to bowling in a centre outside the my usual area (Dand,Fran,Cran)... I guess I was really looking forward to bowling in a more "country" or "regional" centre if you like, it really is sad, whilst I do not know and understand the poulation/demographics of Bairnsdale, it really left me flat.
I can't imagine that there wouldn't be enough interest in bowling... Makes me wonder in general of the average centre throughout Aus... How are they fairing against other recreational/sports out there.
Is this a norm??? Will a lot of centres (local/regional) be following suit. Is there the same level of interest from people who remember the 80's as a boom period (I didn't begin bowling until 2000).. Or is bowling becoming a dinosaur throughout regional vic/aus..
This really makes me sad, as I think about bowling in 20 yrs time.. Already within the period that I have been bowling I have witnessed a considerable drop off from league bowlers, I want my kids to bowl in junior and adult leagues (if they are interested) in the future... But is there a future??? [/B]Or is bowling headed for cosmic bowling, or will bowling be seen as a novely activity???
From a confused and sad humble bowler. I would love any thoughts on this.
LOTP :confused:

Bairnsdale might be closed but Sale is in the process of relocating i believe so there will still be a centre down there eventually.

Bairnsdale closed due to the premises owners getting a better offer for the space. Bairnsdale (township and small surrounds) population is 11,000.
The whole centre moved to Horsham.
Only a handful of bowlers then moved onto Sale (60kms) away. {give or take a few kms}
Sale on the other hand closed (March this year) and we awaiting the new centre to open. {holding my breath now}
So some of us bowl at Morwell (120kms from Bairnsdale).
But the price of petrol down here $1.65 lt is bloody hard to justify.

while I do not approve of rumours .......

word is that the first site for the new bowl was rejected by the council.

as to date we have not been informed of what is happening from the old owners through to the rumour of others starting a new bowl.

we hope to enlighten the masses after the VCTBA AGM next weekend.

What would the VCTBA know about what the intention of the old owners or new owners opening a bowl?

Liz

Never said the VCTBA knowing anything - but I am sure that the peope you know speak to other people that talk more people.

As for the old owners - Ross has said that its at least 18mths if not longer before they even get to have a new bowl started if at all!

But hey it doesnt really matter - new bowl or not, we will have lost a lot of bowlers for good down our way, since Sale closed in March.

Yep, that's about what is known........

In all seriousness, there was a problem with the sale of the old bowl, which in turn means that it is now not feasable to open a new centre.

Sad state of affairs, as the sport has suffered the loss of more bowlers.

Liz

First Bainsdale then Sale whos next Warrigul or Morwell

You would think the TBA would be trying to do something about it

If the local residents would support these centres, they wouldn't be forced to close, unlike some city bowls where the property value outstrips the value of the business.

From what I have seen over the years, it's a 2 way street.

Yes some of the bowlers walk away too quickly if things aren't to their liking. On the other hand, the proprietors need to give something back for the loyalty of the rest.

This is a general comment. I am not singling out Sale by any means.

Liz

First Bainsdale then Sale whos next Warrigul or Morwell

You would think the TBA would be trying to do something about it

In both these instances, nobody could have done anything. It is just unfortunate that the 2 bowls were in the same area.

Besides, I think that TBA need to focus on their own state of affairs.

Liz

But Not All Centres will close,only the unviable ones

What we have to remembers is that these are businesses,they are not there simply for our benefit,they are there to make money for there owners/shareholders so while they are viable they stay open

Its a very simplistic way of looking at it but in this day and age its all about the dollars

But Not All Centres will close,only the unviable ones

What we have to remembers is that these are businesses,they are not there simply for our benefit,they are there to make money for there owners/shareholders so while they are viable they stay open

Its a very simplistic way of looking at it but in this day and age its all about the dollars

MY point exactly.

These 2 Centres didn't close due to financial constraints
My understanding (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Bainsdale closed because the council wanted the land for a shopping centre??

Sale closed due to Public complains about late night noise???

(Actually I originally was told they want to develop the land where the Sale centre was but Liz,s earlier post indicates different)

It's funny how people hear different stories.

Bairnsdale now has a Clark Rubber store in there and not sure if anybody has moved into the rest of the building. I know that we looked at that section for a business but the facilities were pretty ordinary.

From our research down at Bairnsdale, there would have been 2 problems with relocating the bowl.
1 No site big enough in a suitable area - who wants to be tucked away in whoop whoop
2 The council - they seem to have some funny ideas

As for Sale, the land that the bowl was located on was zoned Residential - hence it had to abide by those laws. It was an issue but nothing major.

The site was to be sold to a developer. From what I believe the sale fell through at the last minute. Hence no $$ to relocate, no money coming in from the site.......

Liz

Back
Top Bottom