My Fairy Tale Broke

Pugzly

Once upon a time, there was a story that Tenpin Bowlers could roll the perfect game, a 300. We tried and we tried and we tried some more. Some were successful, but most of us weren’t.
Nowadays we see 300’s rolled with monotonous regularity. “That 13 year old blind kid on 3 just rolled a 300”. Sheesh… what am I doing wrong?
When I started bowling, (40 years ago), you could win a car for rolling a 300. Then you could win $5000 for doing the same. Now you get $500 if you are the FIRST to roll a 300 in a tournament! What am I getting at your asking??
On Tuesday night at a local Brisbane bowling centre I finally did what I’ve been trying to do for 40 years. At the age of 58, I finally got my first 300 game!
There was nobody behind the lanes wishing me luck, there was no buzz about “hey he’s got 9 up… izze gunnu choke?” . There was absolutely nothing. I got congratulated by about 6 people out of the entire league after doing my best. But… I had the big announcement over the sound system…. What?.... oh, we don’t do that any more! Well at least I get a plaque….what… $30 for the first one…. Jeezus, why did I bother.
Come on people, the sport is flagging. We are trying to increase participation. Why would anybody want to keep going on and striving to get that perfect game. Some form of recognition is needed in anything we do. Why not bowling? I know this sounds like sour grapes, and I suppose to some extent it is, but, what about the new guy or gal on the next lanes. They bust their arse to get a 200 or 250 for what?. The only recognition they get is what they can afford to buy for themselves.
They just watched, or maybe they didn’t watch that told timer just chuck a 300, they look around and say, I thought that was the best that could be done! Where is the fuss? “Wanna go to the pub for some real action?” I couldn’t believe that a bowling centre no longer recognizes a 300 game with an announcement. It’s like running a race, crossing the line and finding everyone’s gone home!
If nothing else, at least I have my 300 game finally and when I get my $30 plaque I will probably sleep with it under my pillow for a while.
By the way, I rolled my first 300 game the day after the Queensland State Training Squad weekend. Should tell you something about the coaches they use. Thank you to Gail Torrens, Vaughan White, Andy Grandison, Grant Otago, Ian Schuler and last but not the least National Coach Chris Batson. May you all live forever.
Pugzly

Back
Top Bottom