Bowling in Australia vs. United States

K

kakcpa

Hello there.
As you might know, I'm located in the United States. I'm 40 years old, and have been bowling since the age of 3. I'm a huge fan of bowling (check out my website at www.mrbowling300.com) and as a bowler myself, I averaged 225 last year. I have never had the opportunity to travel to Australia, but I have known many that have. I'm just curious as to how the state of bowling is in Austalia vs. United States. Let's compare a few of the issues.
For example, the largest thing going on in the States is that Bowling is a declining sport. There are less league bowlers. In 1975, there were 4,500,000 members of the American Bowling Congress. This past year, I believe there were only 1,500,000. That's a significant drop in league members. As real estate property values have increased, Centers are closing all over. Where I live, from 1976 to 2006, I can name about 35 bowling lanes that have closed. I live in the greater Detroit, Michigan USA area. It's also become a very costly sport to play.
Youth leagues are dwindling as well. This might be because of the internet, cable tv, more variety of things to do. When I was a teenager, you would pick any day of the week to bowl in a kids league. Today, they pretty much are only on Sat. Lately, though it's making a comeback. The Michigan High School Assn has recognized bowling as a Varsity sport, getting the same recognition as Basketball, Baseball or Football. That is getting more and more kids interested.
I'm also curious as to if they allow smoking in the Australian bowling centers? Currently, here, smoking is allowed, but as a non-smoker, it's very irritating. Two states have outlawed it in all public buildings, California, and I think New Jersey, so any bowling centers there, would have a complete ban on smoking.
Today, the cost of 1 game of bowling is $3.00, which about $4 in Australian funds. A few months ago, I bought an Ebonite One for $230, which is $306 in Australian funds. In my bowling league, I pay $22/wk, which is about $29 Aust. Now about $7.50 goes for the cost of bowling, and the remainder goes into the prize fund. How do these amounts compare?
Do you get ESPN in Australia? If not, is there PBA bowling shown there? Has anybody seen a documentary about the decline of bowling and the PBA called "A Leauge of Ordinary Gentlemen"? http://www.bowlingmovie.com/ is their website. This discusses why bowling has been on the decline. Very interesting movie about this issues, and how life on the PBA tour is. Bowling on TV used to be huge in America. The professional bowlers tour show would come on at 3:30pm on Sat. afternoons from Jan thru April. But as cable tv came into play, and instead of only 7 channels, there were 70, it became less interesting. Finally, the network that showed it ABC dropped the show in 1997 after a 36 year run. There was much more money to be made showing college basketball.
Bowling has definately changed.
Thanks for your input,
Keith

I dont know any bowling centres that allow smoking in Australia, it is pretty much smoke free . It is about $5.00 a game here for league rates and even more expensive for social bowlers.Cheers Ralph.

kakcpa said:
Today, the cost of 1 game of bowling is $3.00, which about $4 in Australian funds. A few months ago, I bought an Ebonite One for $230, which is $306 in Australian funds. In my bowling league, I pay $22/wk, which is about $29 Aust. Now about $7.50 goes for the cost of bowling, and the remainder goes into the prize fund. How do these amounts compare?
At my local centre games are $5.50 for registered members and start at $11.00 if you're not. The league I'm in costs $7.00 per game. An Ebonite One is still near enough the same as the price you paid, however I believe the AUD$ has decreased slightly in value against the USD$ so that probably plays a part in this equation.

Keith, you might find this article interesting. It was taken from the official website of the United States Bowling Congress and paints a very different picture of bowling in the U.S to what you have observed....

Survey says bowling is hot

By Mark Miller
USBC Communications
6/6/2006

More people went bowling in 2005 than at any time in at least 22 years, according to the newest National Sporting Goods Association Sports Participation study.

The study, which charts people age 7 and older participating more than once in the calendar year, said bowling had 45.4 million bowlers last year. That's up 3.5 percent from the 43.8 million in 2004 and up 15.2 percent from the 39.4 million in 2003. It also beat bowling's previous survey high of 44.8 million in 1997.

"Bowling is hot," said Larry Weindruch, NSGA's director of communications.

Bowling ranked No. 5 of the 41 sports studied, the same place it was rated in 2004 and 2003 after moving up from sixth. Exercise walking was first at 86 million followed by swimming (58.1) exercising with equipment (54.2) and camping (46). Exercise walking has held the No. 1 spot each year since 1990. NSGA has conducted the study annually since 1984.

"USBC is thrilled with the most recent announcement about bowling's growth over the past year," said USBC Chief Executive Officer Roger Dalkin. "However, the industry should not breathe a sigh of relief that we have turned any corner - we should work even more cooperatively in this coming year to assure a continuation of this trend. Multiple participation is only one of the steps in developing bowlers for life."

Boston.....I think you will find that the figures in the article you posted are figures from the amount of people that went bowling (maybe only once for the entire year) where as Keith's figures are based on MEMBERS of the ABC.

In NSW smoking will be prohibited in all inclosed public venues as of 2007 as far as im aware.

Where I bowl in North Queensland at Kirwan bowling for practice costs $2.00 and the leauge which I bowl in costs $14.00 and takes place on a Monday night. Although bowling does seem to be decreasing a little in North Queensland. I dont know how many leauges do this but my Monday night leauge pays out roughly $300 for a year long season. Although now it has gone down to 6 month seasons.

At most AMF centres in this area, practice will cost you $16 for 4 games. Individual game rates are higher, and as a social bowler.. well you wouldn't bother (here lies our problem!). I guess it's just a coincidence that my non bowling friends say "how can you afford that?", I can't remember the last time I went bowling with non bowling friends actually, they just won't because it is too expensive.

My Monday night league for 4 games costs $30, I am not sure how that is distributed, and in the other league I pay staff rates, so I couldn't tell you what it costs normally.

If you want to compare equipment prices, have a look around this site under Classifieds, there are nearly always new ball prices in there from proshops around the country.

I wouldn't say bowling is "healthy" here, but I believe a lot can be done to turn the industry around. It's far from dead and buried, it just needs some new ideas and approaches, rather than using the old ideas and getting stuck in "group think".

Boston,
The USBC always has a way of putting spin on things. In order for this sport to survive, it needs league participation. The bowling proprietors make their money off of league bowlers. The industry has faced a problem with the number of league bowlers decreasing. The USBC communication has to do more with counting the numbers of who went bowling at least once in a year. 15 years ago, my league (which had the top bowlers in the area) which I bowled in had 40 teams, occupying an entire 40 lane center. Last year, that same league had only 14 teams...why? The answer is simply of the older bowlers are not being replaced by the younger bowlers as time goes on, this is evidenced by youth league participation. 25 years ago a youth bowler could bowl in a youth league on any day of the week, plus Sat. The weekday leagues would have 16-20 teams each day of the week, and with Sat. those same numbers would bowl in two shifts, there were maybe 60 total teams + on Sat. These days, the youth leagues are only available on Sat mornings, because they cannot fill up the spots during the week. There's simply not the interest there used to be. I think those two facts are a trend that the rest of the US is experiencing in the industry, thus causing catastropic results to bowling proprietors bottom lines in their business.

boston_represent said:
Keith, you might find this article interesting. It was taken from the official website of the United States Bowling Congress and paints a very different picture of bowling in the U.S to what you have observed....

Survey says bowling is hot

By Mark Miller
USBC Communications
6/6/2006

More people went bowling in 2005 than at any time in at least 22 years, according to the newest National Sporting Goods Association Sports Participation study.

The study, which charts people age 7 and older participating more than once in the calendar year, said bowling had 45.4 million bowlers last year. That's up 3.5 percent from the 43.8 million in 2004 and up 15.2 percent from the 39.4 million in 2003. It also beat bowling's previous survey high of 44.8 million in 1997.

"Bowling is hot," said Larry Weindruch, NSGA's director of communications.

Bowling ranked No. 5 of the 41 sports studied, the same place it was rated in 2004 and 2003 after moving up from sixth. Exercise walking was first at 86 million followed by swimming (58.1) exercising with equipment (54.2) and camping (46). Exercise walking has held the No. 1 spot each year since 1990. NSGA has conducted the study annually since 1984.

"USBC is thrilled with the most recent announcement about bowling's growth over the past year," said USBC Chief Executive Officer Roger Dalkin. "However, the industry should not breathe a sigh of relief that we have turned any corner - we should work even more cooperatively in this coming year to assure a continuation of this trend. Multiple participation is only one of the steps in developing bowlers for life."

kakcpa,

I was just wondering if you knew what the hourly rate of pay for technicians, lane men and counter staff might be over there?

Rob

boston_represent said:
If walking and camping are sports, I'm taking up watching hookey on TV. Give me a break, what a crap survey!!!:usa

Feral

Back
Top Bottom