Ball Upgrade

A

Ashes

I'm looking around for a new ball. One that gets about 15 boards turn at about 20km. I was lookin at like a Storm Super Power. Any other suggestions?

Forget Storm, the new wave of Columbia 300 balls have hit the shores, the latest line of the Reaction series.

I have just drilled up a Rip (pearlised green), an Arc (dull black) and the brand new flagship the Rev (swirl blue red purple).

All I can say is that these balls are awesome. I drilled my Rip approx 4 x 2 but pushed the thumb out away from the CG. Gives this ball great length but with a controllable backend that sets up straight away.

The Arc is a huge hooking oil monster. If people thought that the previous Roll was a good oily lane ball. Then the Arc kills it. I have had to hit it with 3 layers of TEC shine and still have to throw it at warp speed on our triple oil pattern at Maitland (40ft buff to 44). Drilling approx 2 1/2 x 1 3/4 again pushing the thumb away from the CG to give a bit more side wt. It also retains a little thumb wt.

But I think the ball that you are after is a Rev. It has great backend reaction and a consistant high revving roll that sets and flips the same each time. This one I drilled approx 3 3/8 x 2 3/4. I have basically drilled this one to be my first choice ball out of the bags. I can get a similar ball reaction with this one whether I flatten it out or load it up and it doesnt overeact at all.

I also drilled up a Sports ball. This has some huge backend reaction. I drilled it approx 5 x 3 3/4 to give it length with med hook. This thing just wants to hook.

If you are after some technical info for yourself or your ball driller check out Columbias website at Columbia 300 .

I will be bowling this weekend at Blacktown in the youth sprint.

Michael Little

Hmmm, well, Michael, Thanks for the tips. I currently own a Power Surge which is also Columbia300 made as you probably know so i wouldn't mind staying with the same make. For what you said about the Rev...its sounds like what i'm lookin for. So i'll also look into that too!

Ashes - unless you throw the ball like Michael, the balls/drill patterns may well not work for you. Ball reaction depends on a lot of factors; rev rate, axis tilt, axis rotation, speed, oil pattern, where you prefer to play the lanes, etc. You can hook a white dot 15 boards in Townsville most days, on a flood the latest oil monster might not wrinkle.
Your best bet is to watch bowlers with a similar shot to you and see what equipment they throw, and how it reacts.

Hi Rob,

I spose I should have mentioned matching a ball with bowling style. But just like the Rockstar before, this Rev is or looks to be one of those balls that can be used on anything from med to oil and can be set up in any way and will keep giving the same consistant reaction regardless of drill pattern. Amanda has one drilled up too and the ball has the same characteristics for her even though she obviously throws a different shot. This is definitely one of those all purpose balls that come along only once in a while of which there arent too many going around.

Back
Top Bottom