New ball time

Hey all, Relatively new to the forum, old hand at bowling, but 2012 getting more involved. Anyways, I'm looking at upgrading to a new ball to update my current 'arsenal'. I'm currently using a Storm 'Reign of fire' which works well, but as I am trying to improve my game and transition to be a better, stronger bowler am looking for something a little stronger. I also have a Storm 'Scout' which i hardlybused and will be replaced and a Storm 'Polar ice' for any spares. I have been looking around and am liking the nexus and storm anarchy.I'm basically after any advice, suggestions anyone can offer. Also, the difference between solid and pearl surfaces.Thanx in advance.

Not George bait Roysa! I will only say this...PBA is being dominated by the Lightning Bolt and Star logo's. Nearly clean swept THe Bowlers Journal Ball of the Year in all categories too ;)

The new Vivid by Storm looks to be as good as if not just in front of the original Virtual Gravity. I have seen a few of them now and they do look great! Keep an opened mind with Roto gear too as it is killing it with the Critical Theory too! Might be well worth a look!

It's probably hard for anyone to suggest a specific ball without having seen you bowl.

Suggest you talk to your ball driller and have a chat.

Two words ...

Seismic.

But seriously Roysa makes a good point there, if you have somebody knowledgable who knows your style i'd be having a chat with them. I was in a similar position i had 2 balls for years and years. A strike ball and spare ball. Had nobody with knowledge local so every 2 years i'd buy a ball i liked the look of.

Now when i get a ball i pick one that fits the job i want it to do, example want a long and strong ball? get a high performance pearl ball. Want a medium oil arcing ball? get a mid range Symmetrical.

Most important of all the ball needs to be laid out to suit your style and its intended purpose. Hence why i suggested knowledgable.

Wow a silly comment turned into a wall of text, sorry :D

Maybe he meant two syllables..!

There is no "best brand" in my opinion. But there are certainly best brands to achieve different reactions. I like all of the brands mentioned so far and have them all in my bags. 900 Global also make excellent gear (they pour Seismic, AMF and Lane#1, fyi). Storm/Roto clear the front best and can be prone to angularity issues, Brunswick, DV8 and Motiv make great heavy rolling kit. The Ebonite brands (Ebonite, Hammer, Columbia300, Track) offer some outstanding balls as well, especially in the mid to upper range. There are no "bad" balls on the market right now. As soon as anyone says to me that one brand or another is crap, I either ask them to prove to me why that is (just for sport if I have the time and inclination) or dismiss their comments as lacking understanding or worse, having an agenda a.k.a. bias.

If you restrict yourself to one brand, you are restricting your arsenal to one's brand's cover stock chemistry. As a customer, brands are tribal marketing, nothing more. Go to a pro shop that doesn't have a preference based on anything other than your game and the best match up for the reaction you're after. If the guy who's drilling has only one brand in his bags, he's pushing that barrow for whatever reason and/or his knowledge is limited.

Cheers,
Jason

Ive used columbia & hammer in the past and now im currently rolling a virtual gravity nano and quite like this ball for what it is,has that distinctive "cracking" noise as it hits the pocket.Its due for a resurface soon which i intend to take to jason when i get a chance but its doing the job at the moment. Im actually looking at a motiv raptor p7 for my next ball as im finding in my research this ball would suit my bowling style & suit the pattern at my local centre.

Back
Top Bottom