Ball maintenance/10 pin

S

soapy

Hi, my first post, I'm a relatively new bowler who moved up to a reactive ball with tips for the first time a couple of weeks ago with good results, but I'm completely naive with regards ball maintenance, how and how often should I polish etc my ball. And secondly, I was very reliable picking up the 10 pin with my old ball, but my new ball is too aggressive to get it reliably and I can't bowl properly with my old ball anymore 'cause of the grip. Can I get a ball drilled with the same layout as my new ball, that will go straight or turn minimally.

With regards to the sparing, you should be able to do what they call "plug" your old finger holes and redrill it to match your new ball. It could take a couple of days for them to do it and redrill the ball so do it after your league night. Costs vary from centre to centre, but normally will be much cheaper than buying a new ball.

Someone else might be able to help with regards to the ball surfaces.

welcome soapy, graham is right with the your old ball. it sounds like you need a plastic ball for your spares. most bowlers who bowl abit will have a hard case ball for their spares. the benefit is that they are not as aggressive ie they go straighter. if your old ball is something like this then get your pro shop to match your new ball and just let them know that you want it for a spare ball so they dont try and put weights on it.

as for cleaning, regular cleaning is a good idea. this will help to prolong the life of your ball. i use hot soapy water, alchol rub or even better is if you can get a proper cleaner from one of the ball makers. i try to do mine every couple of weeks but it depends on how many games you are bowling. if you wanted to do it after each time you bowled then that would be ok but i would suggest do it after 10-20 games.

Soapy, if the ball is shiny, than the best way to polish it is to find a centre with a Luster King ball polisher, or something similar, the amount you polish determines the skid of the ball. If the ball is dull in it's original condition, than probably some scotchbrite pads, will keep the dull surface and clean at the same time.
As for a spare ball something plastic will do, if your old ball is the same weight as your new ball than it will do, just get it fitted the same. With todays oil patterns on the lanes, it is advisable to throw a straight ball, at every spare, to counter act the un-even oil patterns accross the lanes.
willey.

Back
Top Bottom