Whats the go with the solid 10 pins???

M

Mantis

Hi folks
Been having a ball with my Violet Gargoyle. More strikes than I thought I could possibly get. The thing is, last night I hit the pocket time after time and was thinking as the ball got close to the pins "this is gonna splatter em".
Nadda, solid 10 pin most of the time or solid 6, 10 two or three times. What the??????
I reckon the bowling gods were looking down and seeing that I left my plastic spare ball at home thought, "oh look, lets stick some 10 pins and see if he can hit em with the gargoyle heheheh".
Seriously, what gives? What am I doing wrong?
Mantis

Hi Mantis,

My missus also uses the violet gargoyle and leaves quite a few 10 pins also. I think it is because it may just hook a bit too much in through the headpin even though it is in the pocket. I always tell her to move 3 boards left and still aim for the same arrow and see how it goes, but I'm sure one of the high avg bowlers that frequent this site may have a better explanation and ways to combat this.....I'm sure she would like to know also.

When I start leaving a lot of ten pins it's usually because the ball is coming in a little too far behind the head pin. This drives the three pin straight back which either just gets enough six pin to knock it across in front of the ten pin or it misses the six pin all together leaving 6-10.
If this is the case then try moving back a couple of inches on the approach or change the angle completely by moving your feet 5 boards and your target 3 boards if you target near the arrows or 4 boards if you target the dots.

Graeme

These sound more like weak 10's or soft 10's. Especially 6-10 leaves off the "pocket". You are definitely light in the pocket and "blowing" the 5 pin to leave those.

Granat is on the money with the pin fall pattern. Watch the 6 pin. Does it drop into the gutter? This is a weak or soft 10 pin. If it flies around the neck of the 10 pin, THAT'S a solid 10 pin. Either way, the ball deflected off the head pin because it didn't catch enough of it. The round pin deflects the round ball in the same sort of way as snooker balls bounce off each other. When the ball deflects, the 10 pin usually stands. Sorry, that's life. 10 pins are however an excellent chance to practice a good long follow through!:) If you keep working on that follow through, you may even leave less 10 pins!

Cheers and good luck,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom