Whats different???

dazgore

:?: Hi all, Just a few questions / queries. :?:

I have been out of bowling for 10 years, and are currently in the process of getting my ball over from NZ.
My queries are....

:p Will my old ball still do the trick?
:shock: has lane oil conditions, pin actions, etc... changed in the last 10 years to the extent that the older style balls just dont get the pin carry?
:lol: Will the older style balls still net you are good score - after all a pocket shot, is still a pocket shot, is it not?

I dont remember what sort of ball it was. It was dullish, composite, black coloured. I bowled a 190 average with it.

I am not looking at forking out any money at this stage, and will see what happens, but do the subtle changes in ball composition etc really make much difference?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl

Darryl,

Wow, are you ever in for a shock... :D

The biggest change in the last 10 years is the introduction of a new type of ball surface called reactive resin. It has a much higher friction in contact with dry lane, but skids on oil. Centres now generally put down much more oil than 10 years ago as a result. Also, since the new balls hook much more, it is easier to oil a lane for easy scores, so many centres do this too.

Your old ball will probably make a good spare ball these days, although if you throw a powerful shot you might be ok is some Brisbane centres. Yes, a pocket ball is stil a pocket ball, but with the extra oil carry will often be poor with older equipment.

Where in Brisbane are you located? Your best bet is to talk to a good ball driller and coach. If we know where you are, we can recommend someone.

Welcome back, and good luck.

Hi Robbie,

Thanks for replying.

i am in Brisbane City, would be bowling at Kedron...

From what i can remember about the lanes in NZ they were really oily, after 3 or 4 games, you could noticebly see a dry track from where the balls had been bowled.
So far at Kedron i struggle to see any oil. I remember having to wipe my ball after each shot, as there was a huge amount of oil.

My fingers are crossed that my ball will still be ok, as i haven't the money to spend at the moment :-({|=

Darryl

Hi All,

Well my ball arrived today, picked it up, and surprisingly, with the tape in the thumb hole removed, it still fitted my hand perfectly.
Bowled 3 games at Kedron, and the hook was minimal to say the least (bout 9 - 12 boards), but bowled a 163 average, which i am happy with. Still got great carry.
It is a Ebonite Firebolt 16Lbs.

daz

Daz

Welcome to Brisbane! Good to see you in the sport again, I suggest that in 3 weeks time you come up to Caboolture (about 30mins drive from Kedron) and on a Wednesday night around 8pm and have a look. You'll not only see some of Queensland and Australia's best there but you'll get an idea on how equipment can make a huge difference to your game in todays environment.

My name is George, you won't miss me :D

Thanks George,

Have watched your infamous 12th shot, 7 - 9 split, i recall... for your 298. :lol:

Its been 10 years since i bowled last, and remember getting a lot more hook, but this is a good ball to change to for a inside line, when needed.
I am hopeing to get back into bowling big time, I have joined the Phantom league at Kedron, as i am a chef and work all over the place, Shift workers league is good for me.

Hopefully funds allowing, i can pick up one of these new fangled reactive resin balls (not track, as i have heard they are crap... :p , just joking), and see what i can come up with.

I would love to pop up the road and see you guys bowl, was thinking of coming and seeing the sports series.

Daz

Back
Top Bottom