14lb vs 15lb

shuey_83

Quick question. What are the differents between a 14lb ball and a 15lb ball (besides the weight)? I found that since i been using a 14lb ball (same ball same layout as 15lb'r) my average has gone up 10-15pins and im feeling a lot more comfortable bowling with it, my ball speed a few kays faster and a lot more revs are on the ball.
Also are the diffrences between both balls hitting the pocket???

you answered your own question there shuey.... ball sped, revs and comfort.

bowl with the weight you can handle, dont let anyone talk you out of what is comfortable. You can always change later.

I was going to say " girls balls" but then I thought - don't say that, ppl will say you're a stirrer - on top of that, it's probably unfair, I think Cara used 16 lb?

G'Day,

I should probably leave this until after tonight as I will trying a 15lb ball. I normally use 14lb.

Me personally, I think there is a difference with the new core shapes and ball surface, even beyond just comfort. The weight is very much a part of the ball reaction and RG differential.

From memory the lighter the ball the greater the RG differential with 14 and 15lb balls. So one would need more speed and revs for example depending your delivery to keep a 15lb ball on the lane if they were a cranker.

I am sure some of the accredited ball drillers will be able to shed some light on the topic just in case my facts are backwards on that point.

An interesting thing I heard on one of the PBA shows during the week, Norm Duke still throws 16lb. I am sure if he was anything more than a stroker it would not be possible with the new ball designs of today. The speed required to clear the front of the lane would be huge.

An interesting thing I heard on one of the PBA shows during the week, Norm Duke throws 16lb. I am sure if he was anything more than a stroker it would not be possible with the new ball designs of today. The speed reguired to clear the front of the lane would be huge.

Core dynamics can change with the change in weights. Best idea is to check the companies website as they should always list the different RG and Diff values for the cores from 10-16lb.

Cow

Hi Shayne,

Ok, Friday night I bowled 4 games with the new 15lb ball ( normally I bowl 14lb as mentioned previously) and today another five mixed through my nine game block.

I found the ball speed was not a problem. Everything is the same up to the point of delivery. I simply don’t come through the ball as well with the 15lb. It will obviously take time to gain the strength required. But for now my release and strength is better suited to the 14lb.

I would also like to say a special thanks to Adam Goldberg, in the last block he made the very honest comment and it really confirm what I was already thinking. The 15lb ball just looks totally wrong in my hand at the point of release. I also did not have as good a knee bend or arm extension on follow through.

Adam, thanks for confirming what I could feel. First coaching I have received in 25years, so I am more than happy to listen.

John, I'm NOT having a go at you here - really I'm not. I just genuinely find this 'ball weight' thing very hard to understand. I'm not built like Mr. Australia or anything like that, but truly, a 16lb ball to me feels like a feather. The only time I'm aware of it's weight is when picking it up from the ball return, when it's on the opposite side to me. I did try a 14lb ball many years ago, in the days prior to the magic reworking of the laws of physics so that something lighter can hit an object harder than something heavier. (It was an "Earl Anthony" black rubber ball.)
I'm near enough the same age as your dad. I said in another post that I'm finding it difficult to bowl a number of games lately - leagues - 3 or 4 games Ok - Tounnaments - 8, 10, etc difficult, BUT it's not the ball, it's general, e.g. I've got a very large area of lawn to mow and that's more tiring than it used to be.
With good rhythm, for a stroker, - can't speak for crankers, it certainly looks more physically demanding, I really cannot see why any very average male would, or should, have any trouble with a 16lb ball.
Is there anyone out there who feels similar about ball weight??

Hi Jim,

Don’t be silly I am certainly not offended at all. I found that it was not so much the weight, more that I was not use to it. Swapping from 14lb to 15lb to be more difficult from a timing point of view than I expected, which in the end threw off the final release point. It will take a little longer to move up in weight and a bit more practice with the 15lb to get it right.

It does feel strange to me bowling 14lb balls, when I was 12years old I threw 16lb everybody did back in the 70’s. Go figure at 45 I am really struggling.

Holding onto the ball is the easy bit. Staying behind it was where I struggled.

Back
Top Bottom