ball drilling

Assimilator

i'm getting a scout reactive this week

i've been trying to spin/hook my first and current plastic ball and because it was drilled for straigh bowling i've had to have my thumb out of the ball in order to spin/hook it

my average seems to have gone from around 130's as a straight bowler to around 140's 150's spin/hook style with my plastic ball

to explain it better i guess you could say i'm cupping the ball with my thum out

If i get my new scout reactive ball drilled finger tip how will the transistion feel having my thumb back in the ball ? and can i still leave my thumb out if it still feels more comftable to do so?

G'Day,

The transition is going to feel a bit odd at first. You probably won't get as many revs with your thumb back in, although some folks (like me) get more revs with the thumb in than out.

You could still bowl with the thumb out if you wanted to, but I wouldn't recommend it, as a fingertip grip is very hard to use thumbless. Belmo for example utilises a conventional grip on his fingers and no thumb and seems to be holding up pretty well. That said I'm not a big fan of thumbless bowling. you can rev it more with the thumb in if you have good flexibility, you really want to and know what you're doing.

What I would recommend to you is to learn to release your thumb cleanly. The basic trick to this is to gently point your thumbnail toward the back of the thumbhole as you release, rather than trying to "pull" your thumb out of the hole, which forces you to bend the knuckle more and lock up in the hole.

Feel free to ask more if this doesn't make sense at first.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Don't say "spin" - use the term hook. Spin is for cricket balls. :)

well I got the ball tonight and as expected I had problems with my thumb back in the ball I just could not get it to rotate the way i wanted it to
i'll need to show someone what i'm trying to acheive.
Once i got the hang of the ball and thoes evil ed flemming lanes I hit 5 strikes with my thumb out at least I know I can bowl finger tip with thumb out as i have just been using my finger tips with my plastic ball anyway.

The reactive made a huge difference to the way i'm hooking it hitting the pins harder.

I'll go back tomorrow and see if i can get a lane put of pratice so i can try and get it to turn with my thumb in

Back
Top Bottom