arm swing

D

Damage_Inc

I don’t swing or bring my arm right back behind me,
I never really have, but when I try to have a big swing for more power I lose control and bowl even worse.

Is it really necessary to swing back really far?
I would like to change my bowling style, but at the moment I feel ok doing what I'm doing, I just don’t swing my arm back all the way.

I'm also trying to correct the position of my feet.
I really only bowl 1-2 times a week...

Anyone got any tips?

One of the first things I was taught about the armswing was that it is meant to be a natural motion. If your arm won't reach that far on its own accord, that's how it's meant to be. Reason is that you should be able to replicate the delivery each time you step up onto the approach.

As for your feet, your toes should be pointing towards your target line so that you have as straight a delivery as possible. Walking towards your target during the delivery also helps to maintain consistency.

bottom line: all motion should feel natural - if it doesn't, then something could be wrong. As always, talk to a coach that knows your game inside out to work out the best plan of action for you.

The high backswing to somewhere above shoulder height or to swing back really far is the preferred option of the power players. This is a "pullback" swing and requires lots of practice each week. It is not easy to execute, it is fraught with danger and it is also not necessarily right for you. If you feel OK doing what you are doing but dont like your swing, then leave your swing where it finishes on the backswing but change the position from where you start your down swing at the extended pushaway position, to a point at shoulder height and at a comfortable arms length at the end of step one of four steps. Do not let the back angle tilt beyond five degrees and maintain that posture throughout the approach.The ball should then "station" in line with the forward completed second of four steps, swing back to "station" at your preferred and natural back swing height at the completion of step three of four steps. The slide will easily fall into line and be enhanced if you use the "Ritger" method of tempo stepping. Be sure to maintain an "Allegro Cadence" (116 beats per minute) on the first three of the four steps of the tempo stepping. This may at first feel "different" but it will not be long before you get swinging. If you are successful at "feeling" this new swing/step timing you will also see and feel some more of your natural power come into play with the added bonus of greater accuracy and more pins.

Lastly,as for feet correction!!! Please explain.

okie dokie :)

With the correction of the feet..
some people tell me that where your feet point,your ball will go.
In my case,that really doesn't happen.. :(

Man I need lessons..
I am happy at the moment though,I have a little average of 131 :)
My ball isn't even a year old yet,and I only use it about once a week...
so hopefully I can improve over time and get a 150 average... :)

Cheers and thanks :)

Sam

Man I need lessons..
Sam
Re: Arm swing.
You say, ‘some people tell me that where your feet point, your ball will go’. This is totally correct in the two instances only that come readily to mind. Firstly, the “ball of your foot” will always go in the direction to which your foot is pointing. Secondly, a perfectly executed “drop punt” of the football, at goal, by the great John Coleman (No.10 of the Bombers in years gone by) a most extraordinarily talented, gifted and exciting player whose kicking foot always pointed in the direction he wanted the ball to travel on its way through the big sticks. Other than that, you may be mindful of three Australian World Champions who do not give a ‘tinkers’ where their feet point, before, during or after the event. The fabulous trio is Amanda B.from N.S.W. Ann-Maree P.from N.S.W. and the “awesome’ Cara H. from your neck of the woods. Then again, Mr. 900, Glen A. from the U.S.A. was pidgeon-toed and it didn’t bother him one iota. Some discussions with and coaching from that “awesome lefty” Cara H. should more than amply ‘tune-up’ your confidence as her perspicuity and inspirational perspicacity are top class.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Fatblack.

Man I need lessons..
Sam

so do i my average is about 119 and trying to go higher hopefully someday bowl scratch without handicap. at the moment i'm all over the place and i'm getting coached also and getting my very own ball soon. the hardest thing with bowling i really get disrcated like people making some noise on the other lanes and putting people off their game :mad:

so do i my average is about 119 and trying to go higher hopefully someday bowl scratch without handicap. at the moment i'm all over the place and i'm getting coached also and getting my very own ball soon. the hardest thing with bowling i really get disrcated like people making some noise on the other lanes and putting people off their game :mad:

The best thing to do is just think about the frame your in. Similar to practice before league starts.
Do you worry about the others around you in practice? I suspect not, but if you do you need to concentrate on the frame at hand.

I've just started doing this and it's working but I sometime fall into worrying about what others are doing or even watching.

Good luck and high scores!

Sampson1791

Man I need lessons..
Fatblack is right. Triple PBA Tournament of Champions winner Mike Durbin used to have his toe pointing way left of target. He was one of the best strokers ever. Anywhere. His way is biomechanically better than mine by a long shot. I continue to work on it though...

Your ball goes where your swing goes. That's it. Your release and ball/line choice brings it back to where you want it to be.

Cheers,
Jason

As for your feet, your toes should be pointing towards your target line so that you have as straight a delivery as possible. Walking towards your target during the delivery also helps to maintain consistency.
bottom line:
I do not agree. Drifting is a bad habit to get into. If you walk 'at' your target, the angle of your shot is always going to be off, & you're never going shoot consistantly & will never be able to adjust properly.

Back
Top Bottom