Ball position at beginning of approach

Crawf

Doin' the Mess Around!
Recently someone suggested that when lining up, i should hold the weight of the ball entirely in the left hand (being a right hander), as this keeps the right arm relaxed throughout the swing. Obviously that makes sense. However i find that to do this effectively, the ball rests in my left hand at about the middle of my body, as opposed to at the right side of the body.

The problem is now when i begin my approach, i'm pushing the ball out from the middle of my body to the right, whereas before i could push straight out into the swing. Am i correct in thinking that despite pushing the ball out to the right, gravity will still take it straight down and into a nice swing arc, providing my body is aligned the same everytime? I don't really want to change my swing, only to be doing something that is not technically correct. Any help would much appreciated!

Bowling, fun isn't it. Where there is a general rule with technique there is always someone that can break it with sucess.

The only suggestion that I can offer is if in fact you are used to holding the ball on the right hand side of the body, continue this, and just move your supporting hand to under the ball a little more, therefore taking all the pressure off the right hand, but still keeping it in line with the natural swing of gravity that you are used to.

This also adds a few more revs, as the wrist is being supported at the push away therefore storing its energy until the 'flat spot'

This all being dependant on how high the ball is being held on the approach, where you want to place the ball (down and in, or across the lanes)

Hope this helps in some way.

I hold mine more to the right when starting, but everyone is different and different things work for different people

i hope this helps

the old saying to is style if you avg 235 why change because it looks different. but if you are avg 100 then some pro coaching would come in hand.

Do what feels best. I hold the ball more towards the middle of my body then I probably should, to top it off i probably hold more of the weight in my right hand... But most of the (MOST) it works well for me.
Do what feels best and what works. At least try holding it more in your left hand. Remember that you have to repear something 10,000 (TEN THOUSAND) times before it becomes stored in your muscles memory. 10 tries in a practice game one day won't hurt.

Later Da Cowman!

Back
Top Bottom