Proper approach?

G

Grim

I have done a bit of reading, and received a bit of advice from senior bowlers in my league, as well as a bit of experimentation during practice.... but I can't seem to maintain a consistent approach.

I'm a right handed hook bowler, starting from the back row of dots, outside left foot one board inside middle dot. I have an 8 step approach (lead off with right foot) and I bowl over the second arrow.

My problem isn't just singular either... I occasionally find myself a board or two right when I release, resulting in a high head pin (or if I'm lucky, brooklyn) or a board to the left hitting the 3. When things are really going bad (like they did tonight), I end up a fair distance short of the line, and find myself pushing bowls to the 2 pin and beyond.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? If possible, I would like to shorten my approach, but even with a lot of experimenting during practice, I can't find a rhythm with less steps.

Thanks for any help in advance.

the more variables you have, the harder it is to play this game

master a 4 or 5 step approach, 5 if you have trouble getting the ball and foot moving, its all practise.

nobody stepped up on an approach and nailed it first time

I've tried a 5 step approach, but leading off with my left foot just feels totally unnatural. As for a 4 step approach.... my body just refuses to play along with my mind. In my 8 step approach I have 5 small steps, with the final 3 being fairly even strides taking my to my delivery position. I have tried doing the 3 last strides on their own, but once again, the left food leading feels wrong. I tried reducing it to just one small step at the start, and then 3 (so as not to lead with left) but I just don't feel that I have any sort of comfortable rhythm going when I release at the end of a 4 or 6 step approach.

Leave it alone

If eight steps is it, leave it alone.

8 steps is really two four step approaches. Provided you walk the first four before moving the ball on your 5th step you are fine. You are a 4 step approach bowler.

If you move the ball on your 3rd step you are a 5 step approach bowler.

Find out if the drift happens in the first four steps or the second four steps.

You need a freind to accurately tell you where your left foot is in relation to the boards at exactly the end of the fourth step.(did the drift happen already)

i.e find if the drift is in the first four steps or the last four steps. Find that out and I may be able to help.

GBS :D

Thank you! That is the best advice I have received so far, and over the next few weeks i will have a friend help me with what you suggested. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom