Are we above the olympics?

AdrianS

This is the future!!!
Just thinking, with all the scandals, politics, IOC members familys getting things on silver platters and general old fashioned brown nosing that goes on, should bowling LOWER itself to try and get in the olympics? Should the Olympics even exist anymore? Did we need Sydney 2000 (and should we have Melbourne 2006 for that matter) Maybe they have outlived their usefulness, what do you think?

Too serious a subject for this forum,but you're right. Bowling could spend the money it has wasted on this pursuit -since- would you believe 1904,when they failed in their bid to be included in the 3rd. modern Olympics,to far better effect.
Any other use of the money would be better than spending it on trying to join a massive political organisation,which could probably go on funtioning for years after all the sports had dropped out,without even noticing.

i disagree jim.........

can you imagine what the sport of bowling would be right now..........
IF !!!!!

the powers to be at the time ......1904......had of slogged thru the politics, scandals, bribaries and kept at it......for even the following 20 years and where accepted and in the olympics.
our game would be a universal sport bigger and better than it is now and would never, ever be omitted from the olympic games.
archery, shooting, weightlifting, wrestling, equestrian, fencing and some athletic field events........are only ever on the big screen when the olympics are on.......no-one gives a rats arse about them any other time.....
and are only in the olympics right now cos tradition says they should be and no-one has the balls to get rid of them, no matter how boring they really are.
we are very short sighted here......sport has only changed in one form......MONEY........the bigger the money , the bigger sport. time and effort is what is needed here.......sooner or later any one of those or any other olympic sport could fall over......money wise.....and bowling should be there to drop into its place.

Let me make this clear from the outset, that I am usually more reserved in my public comments than I am about to be - and the following is my own personal view and in no way reflects the opinions of the company I represent.

It would appear "Adrian S" [whoever you are] that you may well have your wish!

FYI and the information of others - the Olympic Programme Commission [the body that evaluates the inclusion, or not, of new sport to the Olympic agenda] determined on August 28, 2002 - that bowling does not offer a "higher level of global participation and interest than sports currently on the [Olympic medal] Programme".

Can your own doubtless infinite intellect analyse what this means?

Perhaps those at other companies would rather see an Olympic Games without bowling as a full medal sport, rather than with? Frankly I doubt it - but then again you would clearly know better than I?

Now, and so as to be close to certain that the final death knell to bowling has [apparently] been levied, allow me to add that bowling's case for inclusion was not made easier by the recent decision of the IOC Executive Board to exclude the [I would have said "our" but I suppose this would not be to your liking] sport from the 2008 Games in Beijing. Although no final decisions will be made until the IOC Session in November this year, what is clear is that we face the sobering fact that bowling is one of 14 sports that has not been recommended for the 2008 Games.

The Olympic quest began 23 years ago when the sport was officially recognised by the IOC. Since then millions upon millions of dollars [Brunswick alone has contributed more than AUS$40 million to the cause], endless hours and enormous pain and effort have been forthcoming [from sponsors and primarily volunteers - and I was proud to be one for many years] to submit the unswerving opinion that bowling truly deserves to be an Olympic sport.

It is certain now, and above all else, we need to do what we can to push home whatever final chance this great sport may have to revitalise our goal. Forget the nonsense I have read and heard for some time about easy scoring [what!!] being a negative impactor, technology being a negative impactor [golf by the way looks good for inclusion and don't tell me this game has not been made easier by technology - good God I can even hit the ball now, and I couldn't 10 years ago] - this is rubbish, and take it from someone that knows what the IOC looks for!

Either get behind this effort - or get the hell out of the way.

Steve Jones

Steve,I'm pleased to see that this item is not too serious a subject for this forum,after all,though I still must say that 3 responses does'nt stack up all that well against 185 for the lightweight "One night at bowling - a Fable."

What I said was not 'tongue in cheek',but I did hope that it might provoke a few responses - it did.

I can understand where you are coming from,and why,but I do disagree. Without discounting the difficulties or the efforts made over many years to do just this,it is my considered view that if Bowling is ever to be included in the Olympics,it has to have the profile first [along with the money - especially the money ] via it's own sponsorship,and not hope to get these things by virtue of it's exposure gained as an Olympic sport.

This,of course,is the same hurdle that has eluded us for the last 30..35 years,ever since money started to become the dominating factor it now is in any sport with any profile at all. It has been for too long by too many,the unrealistic hope that some magic sponsorship will appear to lift the sport into the high exposure,big money league it craves. This is not going to happen. Maybe 30 years ago when there were fewer established opportunites for potential sponsors - just maybe - there may have been some chances for mutual developement and benifit,but not now.

You and I know that exposure,now,needs to be bought - and when you have the exposure you can enhance it with sponsorship.

I am well aware that Brunswick has never 'dragged the chain' in these matters,either in matters of money or the provision of facilities [Atlanta , for instance],but it's not enough. Bowlers need to throw their money at it,and they have never shown the willingness to do that. Maybe leadership and the presentation of a properly planned long term campaign has never been put before them,but it's more likely that they would still prefer to hope for magic,or at least think that 'they'should do something, and 'I'll' just wait for the benifits.

That which you have quoted from the Olympic Programme Commission - that bowling does not offer a "higher level of global participation and interest than sports currently in the [ Olympic medal] Programme",seems to be saying,in fewer words,that which I have just said. Get the profile [Global interest ] and then come and see us again,they seem to be saying.

The Olympic movement IS a large political organisation. That's reality. Political entities work on influence and power,and anyone who wants to play with the big boys in the big end of town needs also to wield some of the same.The IOC quite openly wants to know from an applicant sport "what can you bring with you to the Olympic movement ?" not "what can we do for you ?" We really have to deal with that reality.

I readily admit that personally I do not like the Olympic organisation,and believe that if we had the profile that would have them welcome us,then we would not need them anyhow. That's a purely personal opinion and I don't expect that it would have many adherants,but for those who want to pursue this goal,the first requirement has to be reality - know what you're dealing with and the weapons you need.

I'ts no good just 'believing' that Bowling 'deserves to be an Olympic sport' - I believe that also,but so what? That has absolutely nothing to do with it,or any influence on it,the AUS$40million has proved that surely? And so will the next $40million and the next....... until we are able to present a sport with a high public profile.

When we can expect 185 responses to a subject like this and 3 for 'One night in bowling' then maybe,just maybe ,we're getting serious enough to find a path to the exposure necessary to make entry to the Olympics a pushover.

juniors

I think putting the game of bowling into the Olympics would do heaps for the sport and all the juniors would have something to look forward to. Plus i don't know of any tournment where all the countries have been involved in like the Usa and all the europian countries were in. Being a junior myself i would think, well once i get to the asian games and those types of events, i can say to myself well im not as far as bowling goes in Ausralia.

Any ways soz for spelling and if this sence then, well ow well

Well I'm not as informed as the rest of the respondants to this post but thought I'd whack my 1/2 cent worth in as well.

It's great that there seems to finally be some understanding to what is actually required of a sport to even be considered (i for a long time didn't know). I think that's good - maybe the powers that be can use this information for the good of the sport and develop to the point where we have a hope in hell. We can only hope.

Maybe another aspect that could help is not to have so many different associations throughout the world and centralise governing bodies in our sport. The term too many cooks spoil the broth comes to mind.

I dont know how other countries are placed but if they are anything like Australia with their countless different associations, then it may be seen by the authorities that we are all moving in too many different directions to know what we really want for our sport.

Something to think about - :?: :?:

Ooohh boy have i let the worms out of the can here! I know it's very easy for people like me(and i'm sure i'm not the only one) to take a cynical view of things like this. I mean what the hell do we have to do to get a look in here? There's got to be some underlying reason why we keep getting left out of full participation in the games, geez don't we help the sponsors sell enough burgers and cola or something(there i go again!!). It's not only the olympics where we have gone backwards though,now we find bowling out of the commonwealth games after one shot and there's no bowling in this years world masters games in Melbourne either.(did we try and get a run?) Of course Melbourne 2006 is being tried for,(i guess) any word on how that's going? Just thought of something too, didn't the APBA have to change it's name to the VCBA in the 70's to keep bowling in this country 'amatuer' in the eyes of the FIQ and olympic movement? Wonder where competitive bowling in this country would be now if the APBA had said no to the change? (Geez!!! wonder what wasp nest i can belt with a stick next?)

Jim

Much of what you say in your message is worthy and understandable. I will take odds however that [some of] those that were/are involved directly with bowlings Olympic effort are/were somehow not prepared or able to evaluate what to do. Now I appreciate you didn't say that in so many words Jim - but reading between the lines I suspect there is that thought. Although you have always contributed meaningful [and unambiguous] posts - so perhaps I'm misreading your comments in part.

In the event, please be assured that those that have managed this activity are, by and large [and myself excluded becasue I have been for many years] far wiser than most, and although not infinitely so [or else we clearly would be an accepted medal sport by now] - they have in my view not missed too many chances. There will of course be detractors and opposing views [and mine is but one supportive view of the work FIQ President Jerry Koenig and his people have done over the years] and as the ultimate goal appears unlikely, at least in the near term - I'm sure it will be open season on Koenig and his group [and what a waste of energy that will be - and the "see I told you so" group will have little, if anything, to offer - other than vitriol.].

However Jim - you raise a meaningful point about what ranks as a valauble topic and what is mere window dressing. I guess [as you and I get older and greyer] what to us is important is to others just bumph - and you know, maybe they are right and we are wrong. Perhaps we have taken this whole darned bowling business far too seriously for far too long? I estimate that between us we have some eighty years in this game [more if I think really hard - which hurts when I do it!] - but right or wrong - I wouldn't have missed a minute of it.

Steve Jones

I would just like to add that if other ball ports like basketball, europian handball and even shot put are in the olympics then why arent we. And as if horse riding is a sport(no offence) but prancing around on a horse and dressing it up is not a sport As www.dictinary.com states sport means: a Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. is that or is that bowling and if Table tennis is in the olympics as a sport then y arent we. Even if they put bowling in as a trial then at least that is a start and if all goes well then we should be add.

p.s. sorry if this makes no sence

Stuart and others,it's good to have your interest. I,m lukewarm about the desirability of inclusion in the Olympics --- but I,m an old cynic. Not that I was born one,nor a self made one,experience has made me that way. Still,I'm sure the majority of bowlers would like their sport to have this recognition and of course it would have many advantages,so peoples interest is vital at all levels if it is ever to succeed.

Unfortunately,the world does'nt work on what is fair and reasonable,nor does the IOC [there's that cynic again] - well,at least not much of the time.

The sports mentioned may not appear to have any better claim to Olympic status than Bowling but there are quite a number that have a relationship to events in the ancient Olympics, and others which have the advantage of being an Olympic sport for a long time. e.g Shotput 1906 and Basketball and Handball since 1936.

Though sports are dropped from time to time,in all fairness,it would be difficult to justify saying to some of those sports 'we've accepted you as an Olympic sport for the last 66 or 96 years,but we've just changed our minds - you're out !]

What does puzzle me,and does'nt enhance my faith in the IOC,is some of the more recent inclusions e.g. Badminton in 1992 and Beach Volleyball in 1996. I would love to see the judgement criteria which could admit Beach Volleyball and exclude Bowling.

Up untill,I think it was 1992,at every Olympics there was one or more 'Demonstration Sports'included,which often went on to become a full'Medal Sport', but this was discontinued,as the Olympic movement was finding it more and more difficult to programme in an ever increasing number of sports.

Bowling was a 'Demonstration Sport' in Korea in 1998 and that was probably the time when we came closest to success,and I can readily understand that people felt highly motivated to carry on,and even increase their efforts. [Steve,anyone critisising them for this would obviousely also be just as quick to critisise if they had'nt done it.]

None-the-less,in reality and,and of course,hind sight,it has all been downhill since then.

By the mid 90s,to me it appeared to be a lost cause with the signals I thought I could see coming out of the IOC. I had had some considerable experience at a reasonablely high level with two National and Internatinal Sporting Organisations and my wife had been Australia's representative on another.
With this in mind,in 1996 or 1997,I wrote a letter to the then ATBCs magazine 'Strikeout' [which they chose not to publish] in which I urged that we cease the Olympic pursuit as the signals were clear that we would not succeed at that time and that we should instead get our own house in order along the same lines I have suggested on this forum.

Call it luck,if you like,but maybe you can really see more of the forest from a distance,than you can from it's centre.

Steve,I try not to have hidden meanings in my opinions,and indeed none were intended in my latest gentle contribution. I do think,and I believed I could see that the indications over recent years have grown progressively stronger[from about the early to mid 90s,]that only Bowlings own public acceptance and profile will ever get it into the Olympics and also nullify some of the 'politics'which to an old cynic like me do play their part. I think that now we should accept that message totally , beat a strategic withdrawal , regroup ,reorganise , form some sort of meaningfull amalgamation with both of the Pro Bowling Associations and pursue that goal alone. Don't divide either energy or resources with the pursuit of the Olympic goal,untill we are ready to say 'Look at us now!'

There's nothing the matter with pursuing a goal.There's nothing the matter with failing to reach it. There IS something the matter with not knowing when to stop , or when to change course.

I think that time is upon us.

Then again you could be right , we might take it all too seriously , maybe even ourselves too seriously - but who wants to be a vegitable?

My two cents.
Would it not be a better starting block,to have the game we all enjoy firstly classed as a SPORT.
Now I am probably miss informed but as far as i know the game of tenpin bowling is classed as a recreation,NOTa sport.In this country anyway.
I know we have a national association,but that does not mean we automatically class as a SPORT.

Maybe that should be T.B.A.'s first thought instead of going after the preverbial "Big Fish "that is the Olympic Games.

Till nest time
Tryhard

Back
Top Bottom