Are bowlers too serious!

John_Velo

Hi All,

In the past few weeks I have read a number of articles about how we don’t like the conditions now and it was harder then. I guess we have all heard the story a number of times. From THS to PMS in response. We have all also dumped on the poor organisers of the Australia Cup good or bad it was what it was. That is what a forum is all about, voicing your opinion, having it heard and listening to the response good or bad. Strengthening the community that you are involved in, so to speak.

At the end of the day we all love the sport in a different way, our own special way if you like.

Myself, I like the serious side and the light side. I am as nervous as all hell the night before league, the thought of bowling against the best locals, many of which my dad bowled against still makes me nervous, many of the young guns weren’t even born when I stopped bowling back in 1986. Whilst I take it serious maybe too serious at times, I still have a sense of humour about the sport. I enjoy a laugh, at myself mainly but I enjoy being around people and watching the way they react with others. Bowling is great as it a sport that all ages can enjoy.

So the question I pose is this;

What have you seen or heard on the lanes that has made you giggle?

Something responsive and quick witted. Something that does not put any one down, but makes you think or laugh. Let me give you a few examples:

1: Anne-Maria Putney on the weekend at the Australia Cup threw a shot, as the ball crossed over to Brooklyn she quickly changed stance as if she were a lefty. Me, I saw the funny side and it put a smile on my dial.

2: Same tournament, Jason Doust. I think it was about game three he stepped back off the lanes to say hello. My obvious question was how are you finding the conditions today. Jason gave a quick smile and respond like this,

“once I get to the end of the approach there they are every time, just after the black line!”

Quick as you like we both had a chuckle as the answer was correct.

What have you heard?

What is your funny tale?

Ok I am a goose,

The question asked of Jason from my first post was:

2: Same tournament, Jason Doust. I think it was about game three he stepped back off the lanes to say hello. My obvious question was how are you finding the "lanes" today. Jason gave a quick smile and respond like this,

“once I get to the end of the approach there they are every time, just after the black line!”

Now that will teach me for trying to keep all my posts to under ten minutes thought and deliver.

When I played Jason on the weekend he failed to hit the 1-3 pocket for his first 4 shots however started with 4 strikes in a row. Needless to say I was impressed with his ability to spray the ball everywhere and strike against me.....

I then said prior to his fifth shot "Where is this one going"?

Jason "I dont know"

I said "I know you don't know, clearly your last few shots have demonstrated that"

A little funny now but I was pi$$ed at the time....

I always enjoy peoples body english, it's amazing how some people react after they've thrown their shot.
My old head tech bowled a brooklyn shot for the win against me one league night, turned around & started hammering a MASSIVE solo on an air guitar, i found that hillarious. Sorta rubbed off on me in a profound sort of way. :D

Hi George,

It looks like all us righties like to steel a few shots off your side.

All you lefties did it tough of the weekend with the amount of stollen strikes.

Steve Lovell posted how he shot a Brooklyn strike against dad back in the 70's, dad complained to which point Lovey was prompt to ask dad to stay off his foot.

Most will not find that funny, but dad bowled right handed with a left handed approach.

Not so long ago I was bowling in a masters event.

Second game, bowled first shot with shoe cover on. We all know what happens. Picked myself up, spared the remaining 10 pins :) and walked back off the approach.

Guy I was bowling against just said to me "Have you finished f-king about now?"

Leaving your shoe covers on makes you a very 'casual observer' doesn't it...

I always wonder how people actually make it all the way to the foul line with their shoe covers on, i mean getting up on the approach ive seen hundreds of times but surely when you line up you look at your shoes??

One of my favourites when asked (pre synthetic days) "What are the lanes like", I would say, "About 60 feet long & made of wood".....it got various "smartarse" answers.....but ask a stupid question.....etc

Funniest thing in recent times was at the Emerson final...a bloke from my team that does not know any different proceeded to make Warren Stewart (whom he was bowling against) and his team continually shake their heads.....with one pocket shot for the game and a score of 278, all we could do was laugh;)

Rob

A few years back,I was bowling with Mark Malloy at Moorabbin, both of us hitting a number of strikes in a row, when one of our team members asked for assistance in lining up on the lane."Where do you think I should bowl?" she asked.

Mark's immediate response was "Mentone"

I was in Emerson in 2006 up against Werribee and I had an 8 bagger to start with and Porto said to me if you don't go all the way I'm gonna kick you where the sun don't shine. I lined up for the 9th and pulled the ball clean across my body and then left both the 9th and 10th open. After the 10th I walked back where Porto preceded to do what he said at the 9th and we all had a good laugh about it.

Lyndon

Life is a meaning to exist
Existence without meaning has no life.

I remember bowling a tournament in Perth at Fairlanes where I couldn't miss. I turned around to a guy in the crowd who was in a wheelchair and asked him to have my next shot for me. This guy laughed his head off. One of many funny moments on the lanes.
Cheers Lovey

The best moment for me was about 15 years ago when a local bowler from Mt Gravatt, Mark Troughton entered in a tournament at the centre and along side Mark was Tony McFarlane. Tony at the time competed in quite a few tournys here and there and Mark not so much at all. After the first game of 287 from Mark then quickly followed by a 249, Tony then proceeded to tell Mark to take his gear and #$%* off.

Funniest moment for me on the lanes to date!

Grant

As with just about anything I post this one goes back a few years to when Tournaments actually had huge spectator galleries watching.

A baby in the crowd started crying as Ron Spiterie was about to bowl.

As cool and 'dry', as he always was, Ron turned to the infant's mother and said "lady tell the kid not to cry, I always bowl this bad."

I remember bowling a tournament in Perth at Fairlanes where I couldn't miss. I turned around to a guy in the crowd who was in a wheelchair and asked him to have my next shot for me. This guy laughed his head off. One of many funny moments on the lanes.
Cheers Lovey

Steve

You forgot the other descripitve words you used !!!!

Lovey, remember the time at the Canberra Cup at the old Olympic Bowl in Civic when Bruce Peel flicked a towel at you and gave you a 20 minute nosebleed in the middle of matchplay. We all laughed about it then, still do now LOL. Although at the time I thought you were going to snot him.

Lovey, remember the time at the Canberra Cup at the old Olympic Bowl in Civic when Bruce Peel flicked a towel at you and gave you a 20 minute nosebleed in the middle of matchplay. We all laughed about it then, still do now LOL. Although at the time I thought you were going to snot him.

BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I bowl with my preacher on Sunday night league, and one night we were having quite a string of bad luck, great looking balls just bad pin action. I can't remember the exact words he used, but the gist of it was, that the good Lord had given us our fair share of blessings, and it was time to share them with the other team now. Every time I think of it I gotta lough.

Back
Top Bottom