ACT & Southern NSW Presidents Shield Roll-Offs

Brett Hall said:
KriDdLe said:
If you had 5 other members of your team saying they want someone else to be captain and vice captain wouldnt you feel oblidged to give up your position?

Cows a great bowler the world of bowling knows that! he doesnt have to be pointed as captain to show that! His been there once give someone else a go.

YES, if I had 5 team mates telling me that they didn't think I had what it takes to lead them, I WOULD STEP DOWN.

What does being appointed Captain have to do with showing how good someone is, it's got nothing to do with how good a bowler you are, it's about how good a Captain you are, whether you are good at leading a team, encouraging & motivating them. The question here isn't how good is Cow as a bowler, it's whether he is best equipped to lead the team? Or alternatively, are the two guys that were picked best equipped to lead the team?
Guys, guys, just give them a break for once. If Ian and Michael have been appointed as Captain and Vice Captain, then so be it. This is turning into politics, even favouratism. Cow might be an AWESOME bowler, and also a good captain, but if these two have been chosen then that's that. People aren't ALWAYS going to get there way. Cow has ALREADY been captain. He did a damn good job of it. But things change sometimes, like Cow not getting the captaincy role, or the vice captaincy role. Ian and Michael may be just as good as Cow at these jobs. I say give them a go. Things in life are not always going to go your way. I'm sorry to say that to all those bowlers in self-denial, thinking that EVERYTHING they want to happen will happen. That's life, and you just have to live with it. I think that Ian and Michael could do a great job leading ACT/Southern. I totally disagree with the way that some bowlers (i won't name them) treated the committee this year. How is it fair that the committee should feel like criminals. They have a lot of hard decisions to make. The don't get thanked very much for what they do. They put in the effort, and get abused. Answer this. How is that fair? Besides, Stephen made the team. That's what counts. So did Macca. So i don;t know why people are going on about Captaincy and Vice Captaincy. It's not like they missed out on the team. Anyone is happy if they make the team. You shouldn't expect to be captain or vice captain.

Suggestion For 2006 Roll Offs

Just "food for thought". Would it not be possible to select your Coaches and/or Managers for the teams prior to the roll offs?

Advantages of this would be that the Coaches have the chance to watch all bowlers during roll offs and assess each bowlers ability and chance of advancement/improvement (remembering that you have between 6-7 months from the roll offs to the actual Nationals).

Also if the format continues as first five past the post then select two - I firmly believe that the coach should have an input on the selection of the next two players taking into considering the abovementioned.

Regards Sue
Change Isn't Necessarily Bad - Its Just Doing This Differently

Firstly, congrats to everyone who made the team for next year, and hopefully i will be there competing against you next year....

As for all the stuff that's been said on here...
Personally, i think having 6th and 7th positions selected is a great idea. Although it will always cause conflict when people think the committee is being biased, it allows for injury or illness that can affect a persons bowling. When selecting the final two members of a team, the committee should be taking into consideration a persons capability. From Lysa's experience, the committee would have a pretty good idea of what she is capable of. After all, even with an injury, she still qualified 8th.
When people start talking about injuries in shield and pulling out of the team, that's a completely different matter. Bowling for Vic this year, we had Alicia pull out in the middle of a game during shield, but not one of us was thinking 'if only our reserve was here'. We dealt with it, and everything was fine. An injury can happen to anybody at anytime. Yet injury or no injury, if a person is good enough to be in a team, they should be there.

For the captains- good luck to them. Although a lot of people may disagree with the decision, i would hope to see the captains receiving full support from their team members. But, i'm sure with the people that are in the team, that will happen regardless.

Keep up the good bowling,
Jess

Re: Suggestion For 2006 Roll Offs

suecassell said:
Just "food for thought". Would it not be possible to select your Coaches and/or Managers for the teams prior to the roll offs?

Advantages of this would be that the Coaches have the chance to watch all bowlers during roll offs and assess each bowlers ability and chance of advancement/improvement (remembering that you have between 6-7 months from the roll offs to the actual Nationals).

Also if the format continues as first five past the post then select two - I firmly believe that the coach should have an input on the selection of the next two players taking into considering the abovementioned.

Regards Sue

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Re: Suggestion For 2006 Roll Offs

suecassell said:

Regards Sue

that the smartest thing ive heard in this topic so far

Regards Sue

Amen to that

Rowdy said:
For the captains- good luck to them. Although a lot of people may disagree with the decision, i would hope to see the captains receiving full support from their team members. But, i'm sure with the people that are in the team, that will happen regardless.
I TOTALLY agree with this. :p

I would like to congrat. all who made the team & add my thoughts to the discussion. We brought in the 5 past the post - 2 selected rule this year but we ended up with the top 7 anyway. Our coach was elected in August at the AGM & he was at roll-offs to watch the bowling. We have a selection committee made up of our coach + the person in charge of NSW country juniors (who is also a level 2) and one of our managers - no parents are allowed on this committee & these people are VERY qualified to choose the best bowlers for the team. This year this worked well for us and apparently the first 7 bowlers were the best anyway so there was no argument. (hope it always works as well). As for the captain issue??? Aren't we all there to bowl??? Cow has been both Captain & Vice Captain & maybe it is time to let someone else test their leadership skills?? I'm sure he'll still be up there in all stars & that is what he'll be aiming for.
It is good to let the newcomers have a go - it is supposed to be a team effort -so pull together to support EVERYONE on the team & all will be good!!

Back
Top Bottom