2011 Results & Rankings

I thought the inception of the sports series was to expose bowlers to tougher conditions which they wouldn't normally come across bowling in a league. I use the sports series for this purpose and if I manage to get some coin back then I go home happy... If I bowl well and don't cash guess what, I go home happy... The ladies have been getting 8 pins start for as long as I remember and it hasn't affected the way I bowl at all...

Hi Jason

"Expressed mathematically, it was asymptotic to zero"?

By definition, asymptotes never get to zero, y=1/x, that notwithstanding, in essence I agree with your arguments and have had many heated discussions with managers and proprietors about their desire to please the customer by laying down a ditch. However, how do we define an equitable condition? Length and/or width of the pattern, at the Women's Worlds recently they had 47 feet and averaged 250+. Seems like there are too many variables, type of oil, viscosity, volume, length and width of pattern. Lane surface etc. etc. I'm sure you will have a much better answer than I.

Regards

Barry

Barry

Fabulous attitude MickyD. Good for you! I'm pretty much the same for the NSW Series. We don't give the ladies any start and they still come and cash when they bowl well and don't when they don't! But if it's working down there, I'm not interfering. :)

Good Question Baz,

Until everyone throws it the same way from the same side of the lane, true equity is impossible.

But I sincerely believe that the tapered patterns, even the crown oil of old for a house shot is the fairest solution, as it allows a number of styles and angles an opportunity to eek out some pretty good scores. Indeed, on some of the crowned patterns with a good surface under them, the scores would be very high, but there would be more than one way to go about it and different options to move when things break down, making it more fair than the seemingly ubiquitous 10-10 ditch.

Surface is a big factor, 6:1 is bloody tough at Tuggeranong, but probably dead easy at Rooty Hill, despite having the same installation. Tuggeranong's lanes are 11-12 years old, Rooty Hill's are 2 years old. Both houses have the same pathetic 10:1 blocked lane condition though. It doesn't make sense once you step out the front door of AMF head office, but they have a one size fits all approach. If you could lay 7-8:1 at Tuggeranong and 5-6:1 at Rooty Hill, the two houses would play differently, but would probably have a similar respectable level of easiness and would promote better technique, promoting practice games and bring more money in. Not picking on AMF, it's just that they provide a very good example with these centres and the standard dressing policy that I really only know via hear-say, so please correct me if I'm out of line here, AMF!

In the 1980's, we all knew that different houses played better from different spots and that was part and parcel of the game. Today, league bowlers think that everywhere should play the same. If so, then what's the point in going anywhere?

All the ditch does is give the weakest shots the best look they'll ever get, with absolutely no incentive to improve in accuracy, repetition or power, further adding to our sport's difficulty in being taken seriously. The proprietors need to get honest, man up and take some responsibility for their part in why we're in the mess we're in (but that's a whole other thread...)

Cheers,
Jason

Off to brunch with my gorgeous wife now! Have a good weekend folks!

VSS - 4 events, 4 low rev players have saluted.

You're not playing for sheep stations when bowling the VSS events - more to challenge yourself to become a better player. Whether women get the 8 pins or not is irrelevant at the end of day.

You're not playing for sheep stations when bowling the VSS events - more to challenge yourself to become a better player. Whether women get the 8 pins or not is irrelevant at the end of day.
Your right in saying that Craig, in fact i would still be out of pocket if i had won (travel from Adelaide) but its not the point. We are discussing the fairness of a 64 pin advantage to very capable
bowlers. Money has never been an issue.

You're not playing for sheep stations when bowling the VSS events - more to challenge yourself to become a better player.

That comment could be used on both sides of the discussion.

Results and Rankings after Event 5

Congratulations to Chris Castle on winning the event.

With the completion of the 5 single day events we are pleased to announce the ranking winners.

Men's Ranking Winner: Chris Castle
Men's Ranking Runner-Up: Paul Trotter

Ladies Ranking Winner: Rebecca Robinson
Ladies Ranking Runner-Up: Mary Dodds

Both winners will receive FREE ENTRY to the 2011 VSS Final Event as well as a trophy.
Both runner-ups will receive a credit of $90 to be used towards entry in either the 2011 VSS Final Event or the 2012 VSS Event 1.

We have had 105 individual bowlers so far this year (85 Men / 20 Women) with an average tournament entry of 49 bowlers.
I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the 2011 VSS Final Event (December 17/18 at Oz Tenpin Epping). Details will be out shortly for that event.

Attachments

• 2011 Rankings - Event 5.pdf
    148.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2011 VSS - Event 5 Results.pdf
    227.9 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom