2009 QLD JUNIOR SHIELD TMENT ROCKY

wow dominic. i wish all the centres were as good as gladstone... too bad u cant win a tourni when your the one that lays the pattern. and to say a kegel on the old lanes would be better than the same machine on new lanes just shows u dont know what your talking about either :)

wow this thread has become quiet all of a sudden
i wonder why
maybe someone got absolutely destroyed LOL

They may have a new oiling machine but they will need new lanes and pins for it to improve down there. It is great to hear that there will be new lanes put down in Rocky. Might see a few really high scores next year.

So hey guys what's the story? Caboolture is running a "Junior shield type Tournament" 2nd weekend in January. What I would like to know is what have Rocky Junior Bowlers done to South Queensland bowling fraternity to deserve this snub! The way I see it is they have traveled to State, Nationals and supported the Junior Wide Bay Circuit and anything else down south that they can afford to go to yet they are not good enough to be invited to bowl at Caboolture. It is obvious that this was intended to clash with Rocky Shield, so why did someone not have the balls to just say it, and then have the courtesy to invite Rocky Junior Bowlers to the "new event". Let alone all the other bowlers who are north of Brisbane!

Just a tad poor I think

I think its just a event for local juniors in the brisbane areas. I dont think anyone as got invites out of brisbane and its the week before isnt it?

Yes I think so, however many teams who came to Rocky shield came from Brisbane area and of course without those teams it is going to make it a bit hard to run the Rocky event. I believe (I could be wrong) that this event is being staged to hinder the Rocky shield event. Juniors will not be able to afford both. And this will have been well considered.

So back to my point, there are many bowlers outside Brissy that love to bowl in this type of event so I think it would have been much fairer to invite everyone. Kids don't care who likes who etc., etc., all they want to do is bowl, and our kids just hang for the day they will make our shield team!

If Brissy make it impossible for us to run the shield (which may or may not have been the plan) then invite everyone who has bowled in the Rocky shield including Bundy Maryborough the list goes on....

There is life outside Brisbane and a few good bowlers to!!!!

not sure if im gettin my events in any kind of order but is it possible that:

last year was a poor turnout, yes? less than that of the past couple fo years. most bowlers dont like bowling there because of the "strange" conditions. not saying bad, just strange, as in not often seen etc. generally, junior bowlers just like to score. if they arent scoring well then they wud prefer to bowl somewhere where they do. so maybe caboolture was put on as an alternative to the ones who 1. dont want to travel (i personally hate travelling) and 2. just would like to shoot good scores

however, is it possible that the caboolture thing was organised purely for the above reasons? or since now rocky has announced the installation of the new lanes, maybe most bowlers will still make the effort to get to rocky.

for me, rocky is further than caboolture but if i had a choice of the two i would go to rocky, purely because of the history of the tournament. its in its 21st year i believe, and its always had a permanent spot on the calendar, for as long as ive been in the game that is.

so maybe since rocky is set to improve, the numbers wont dwindle as im sure most juniors are somewhat curious of how the new lanes will play in comparison etc.
although dont be surprised if most bowlers still pack their "rockhampton ball" :p

I have to say that i am rather annoyed at the fact there are now two of these types of tournaments on at the same time. next year will be my last year of juniors and my fifth year of bowling the Junior sheild tournament in Rockhampton which personally i feel is a great challenge.

being from toowoomba, each year the team hops on the bus at 6am in the morning on the day before and travels for 8 hours sometimes longer (depending on traffic) and this travelling is what brings our team closer together.

every year the staff at Rockhampton produce a great tournament which is one of the best experiences i have ever had in bowling right up there with bowling for SQ in sheild this year.

i dont believe high scoring should be a reason to bowl in a tournament. shouldnt it be about a challenge?

unfortunately the toowoomba team will be only participating in the caboolture tournament next year as we could only afford to bowl one. because of this i have refused to bowl in the toowoomba team as i believe it is an injustice to Rockhampton and all the work they have done.

i hope the Rocky get the support they deserve from bowlers i wish i could be there but good luck to you in your 21st year.:)

I have bowled Rockhampton for a few years now along with my brother, however this tournament in January is dedicated to Mrs Nell Weir and the work that she has done to build the Junior tournaments throughout not only Brisbane but also the state and the tireless work that she puts in to make these tournaments a success.

That being said though, Mr McKenna has done a fantastic job with the juniors has been running a successful Junior tournament for many years now, with the addition of youth just previously. The question should be raised with the Caboolture Tournament Committee as to why the tournament was put on at the same time as Rockhampton, knowing how many teams and how much support this tournament usually attracts.

No disrespect is meant to anyone in this, both tournaments I'm sure will be well run and are thanking and recognizing two thoroughly deserving people.

I believe Caboolture is scheduled for 9 - 11 Jan.
The National Youth Challenge is scheduled for 10 - 15 Jan.
Rocky is scheduled for 15 16 17 & 18 Jan

You guys are going to need very fast cars.

Back
Top Bottom