2009 QLD JUNIOR SHIELD TMENT ROCKY

HI first i have heard about Toowoomba not sending a team would like to know who made this decision.
Garden City Lanes juniors make the decisions on what our Juniors do.
Cindy Donnelly Garden City Lanes
Toowoomba.

Thanks for that Sean can you pm me with a contact number for your Dad.
I don't think much of people making decisions on what we bowl or don't bowl without being asked.
Cindyd.

Cindy, Sunset Toowoomba juniors made a decision on which tournament to attend in January. Given that Garden City is a separate organisation from Sunset I really can't see how anyone can be "making decisions on what we bowl without being asked"

That aside this whole topic is getting rather boring. Rightly or wrongly and for whatever reason the people at Caboolture have decided to organise a shield style tournament in January and that isn't going to change. I'm not here to debate the pro's & con's of either event but one thing the Caboolture people have offered is choice.

(I do understand, from what I have read, that competing in the Caboolture event has been by invitation and some may not have the choice but the decision on who to invite can only be answered by the people at Caboolture)

The option to choose which event (Rocky or Caboolture) to compete in may be the difference between some athletes participating or not. It must be remembered that these two tournament are being held just after Christmas and just before school resumes. An expensive and financially draining time for any family. As a parent of a President's Shield and a QJS bowler I know only too well the costs associated with tournament bowling and travel. If the Caboolture tournament does nothing else than open up an opportunity for a bowler, who could not afford the expense of travelling to Rockhampton, to participate in the sport then that is surley a good thing. We must always be actively encouraging young people to participate in our sport. For this reason I personally hope both competitions are successful. Only time will tell.

At the end of the day everyone has the ability to choose or "refuse" (as some have said) to participate in either event. There is always the option to seek out teams who may need bowlers that are participating in either Rocky or Caboolture.

In any case I wish all bowlers the very best no matter where they are competing.

Cindy, Sunset Toowoomba juniors made a decision on which tournament to attend in January. Given that Garden City is a separate organisation from Sunset I really can't see how anyone can be "making decisions on what we bowl without being asked"
That aside this whole topic is getting rather boring. Rightly or wrongly and for whatever reason the people at Caboolture have decided to organise a shield style tournament in January and that isn't going to change. I'm not here to debate the pro's & con's of either event but one thing the Caboolture people have offered is choice.
(I do understand, from what I have read, that competing in the Caboolture event has been by invitation and some may not have the choice but the decision on who to invite can only be answered by the people at Caboolture)
The option to choose which event (Rocky or Caboolture) to compete in may be the difference between some athletes participating or not. It must be remembered that these two tournament are being held just after Christmas and just before school resumes. An expensive and financially draining time for any family. As a parent of a President's Shield and a QJS bowler I know only too well the costs associated with tournament bowling and travel. If the Caboolture tournament does nothing else than open up an opportunity for a bowler, who could not afford the expense of travelling to Rockhampton, to participate in the sport then that is surley a good thing. We must always be actively encouraging young people to participate in our sport. For this reason I personally hope both competitions are successful. Only time will tell.
At the end of the day everyone has the ability to choose or "refuse" (as some have said) to participate in either event. There is always the option to seek out teams who may need bowlers that are participating in either Rocky or Caboolture.
In any case I wish all bowlers the very best no matter where they are competing.

Im sorry but looking at the bigger pic here. Anyone that thinks this is for the better of the sport really need to take a better look at themselfs. As anyone ever though that since this is going ahead that rocky could fall in a heap and not even run anymore and if that happens there is centres that cant get in to this cablouture tourment so all it as done is hurt our juniors becos we didnt get a invite. Yeah thats great for the sport!

Oh ps. not everyone as a choice to bowl in the caboolture - Aspley event.

I think the rumour is a bit premature.

Irrespective of the motives of running a tounament the weekend before, the bottom line is that it will impact on the number of teams turning up the the Rocky event.

What the final impact is is still unknown. I am aware that there is currently alot of discussion around this and what format it will be. I suspect that their is still going to be a tournament in Rockhampton on that weekend, but perhaps the format may be different then previous years.

Rather then spread further rumour, just please hold that thought and wait and see what unfolds in the next few days....

As someone who bowled in the first ever Junior Shield, it would be really sad day if this ever disappeared from the schedule. I know there is always alot of politics in any sport (and tenpin is not exempt from it!) but with participation in these events reducing over the years, it amazes me that there is a need to schedule these 2 events so close together...surely someone need to "get up on the balcony" and put the sport ahead of politics or self interest...

Thanks
Nathan

From a sponsors point of view QubicaAMF will be there again as joint sponspors at Rocky, the McKenna's run a great event, the reason we sponsor this event is between the 2 parties, we put the junior/youth bowlers first, and these guys & girls are the future of this great sport.

Not only that, where else can you spend a weekend and learn so much from George Frilingos & myself. We take time out from our busy schedules to spend the weekend at the Rocky Tournament.

George grew up through this tournament, and we both love coming and spending the weekend up there with the kids. I ask all Queensland bowlers to support this event, and our loyal bowling centre customers to support this event too by putting a team together and support this great event that will be in it's 21st year, not many tournament last this long, so the McKenna's must be doing something right.

The 2009 event will be the start of the next generation in the Rocky tournament with their Brand New AMF SPL synthetic lanes, it will be just worth the trip to bowl on these great lanes, these are the same lanes that they used in the QubicaAMF World Cup in Russia and in Mexico this year.

I hope you support the people that support you by showing your loyalty and bowling the Rocky event, hope to see you there in January.

Well i have nothing against rocky i had fun doing it for the 3 years i did it but i have one last point that i have been thinking about.....why put this caboolture thing the week before rocky? like i know its in the holidays but who knows if it was put there for a reason, but you could stick it in the june/july holidays cause barely any event is on that time of year and it wouldnt clash with anything. Thats my question and that is all i have on this matter. I understand why people are debating this as I can see where they are coming from.

Sean.

p.s HAVE FUN IN ROCKY!!!! Rocky is some of the best fun i have ever had.

i herd rocky finished last thursday... hey sean u bowl better wen your thumb comes out earler

I think the rumour is a bit premature.
Irrespective of the motives of running a tounament the weekend before, the bottom line is that it will impact on the number of teams turning up the the Rocky event.
What the final impact is is still unknown. I am aware that there is currently alot of discussion around this and what format it will be. I suspect that their is still going to be a tournament in Rockhampton on that weekend, but perhaps the format may be different then previous years.
Rather then spread further rumour, just please hold that thought and wait and see what unfolds in the next few days....
As someone who bowled in the first ever Junior Shield, it would be really sad day if this ever disappeared from the schedule. I know there is always alot of politics in any sport (and tenpin is not exempt from it!) but with participation in these events reducing over the years, it amazes me that there is a need to schedule these 2 events so close together...surely someone need to "get up on the balcony" and put the sport ahead of politics or self interest...
Thanks
Nathan
well said Nathan
Ive been to rocky twice as a bowler in 1994 and last year as a coach and had a blast both times.

It will be really sad if juniors in years to come dont get the chance to experience the QLD Jnr shield.

I might get in trouble for saying this but i think a few people went up there last year for the first time with some unrealistic expectations and as a result the came back a little disapointed. I believe this is why another event has been invented.

I went to Rocky 4 times as a bowler many years ago and even thought the lanes were very difficult it was the only tournament other then nationals that you could bowl against bowlers from all over Qld. This tournament has a tradition that shouldntbe ruined if someone wants to hold a similar tournament then find another time of year that wont harm what has been a gret tournament for many years

i have herd rocky has finished last thursday and rocky are sending a junior team to the comp down here

Hi All
Just to put some stories to rest. The Queensland Junior Shield Tournament (Rockhampton) WILL be held in Rockhampton on 16-17-18 January 2009 and it will have a new format which will be released next week.This comes about because of the support that has been received from Sponsors, Centres, Teams and Bowlers who which to see this tournament continue. Thus it will continue under a new format and with cash prizes as well.
Additionally a NEW Tournament for Youth and Adult Bowlers will be announced also next week and this will also be played on the same dates 16-17 18 January 2009. Cash Prizemoney will also be up for grabs in this NEW Tournament.
So watch this space for the details that will be released on the revamp of the Junior Shield and details on the NEW Tournament for Youth and Adults.
And all of this Bowling will be on the NEW Qubica AMF SPL Synthetic Lanes in Rocky - a challenge for all bowlers early in 2009.
If you would like detailed information sent to you as soon as the details are realeased send an email to [email protected]

Thank you John McKenna.

The Caboolture/Aspley event has obviously been deliberately scheduled to disrupt and conflict with the Northern event.

Having 2 events this close is not in the interest of any Junior or Youth bowler, and to deliberately schedule against a successful 20 year old tournament with existing sponship is an absolute disgrace.

If Caboolture and Aspley are determined to proceed with this event and they are genuinely concerned that there are not enough Junior/Youth events on the calendar they should consider re-scheduling their dates.

Its not too late to do this and would show willingness on their part to prevent further bad feeling amongst the bowling community.

I WILL ONLY POST ONCE ON THIS TOPIC, CABOOLTURE BOWL WAS APPROACHED BY A GROUP OF CONCERNED MANAGERS AND COACHES REGARDING THE QLD JUNIOR SHIELD TOURNAMENT AFTER THIS YEARS EVENT. I FIRST WANT IT TO BE KNOWN THAT THERE IS NO ILL FEELING BETWEEN THE MCKENNA FAMILY AND MYSELF, SOME OF THE CONCERNS WERE THE WELL KNOWN CONDITIONS AT ROCKY THAT CAN BE EXPLAINED AS TUFF AND TESTING OR IN OTHER PEOPLES OPINION IT IS INJUIRES JUST WAITING TO HAPPEN, NOT ONLY DO THE KIDS GET NO PRACTICE AFTER A BREAK FOR THE OILING MACHINE TO MAKE ONE OF ITS DEMO RUNS DOWN THE LANES, BUT MOST OF THE TEAMS THAT HAVE SUPPORTED THIS EVENT MAINLY OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS HAVE BEEN BRISBANE AREA TEAMS WHO MOST OF THEM HAVE A HEAVIER OIL PATTERN AND THAT IS WHAT MOST OF THE JUNIORS/YOUTH EQUIPMENT IS SET UP FOR, WATCHING THE KIDS ENJOY THEIR TRIP TO ROCKY EVERY YEAR IN THE POOL AFTER BOWLING AND NOT AT THE CENTRE IS NOT WHAT IT IS ABOUT. THE TRAVELING COSTS FROM THE ORIGINAL 8 CENTRES INVITED TO THE NEW EVENT WILL BE A SAVING OF OVER $30,000.00 WHICH CAN BE USED TO PROMOTE JUNIOR/YOUTH BOWLING WITH IN THEIR CENTRES. THE S.E QLD SHIELD EVENTS WILL BE BOWLED IN 2 CENTRES NOW, WITH THE JUNIORS AT ASPLEY AND THE YOUTH AT CABOOLTURE WITH A COMBINED ALL STAR, M & C TOURNY AND PRESENTATION AT ASPLEY SUNDAY AFTERNOON, THE CHANGE TO 2 CENTRES WAS TO ACCOMODATE EXTRA JUNIOR TEAMS FROM ROCKY AND BUNDY/MARYBOROUGH. THIS WAS NOT DESIGNED TO END THE ROCKY TOURNY, MAY BE THERE SHOULD BE MORE ATTENTION GIVEN TO THE FACT THAT ONLY A FEW CENTRES OUT OF BRISBANE BOTHER TO ENTER NOW, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO KINGAROY, GLADSTONE, HERVEY BAY, MACKAY, TOWNSVILLE, MT ISA, CAIRNS AND THE LIST CAN GO ON, THEY ALL USED TO ATTEND????????. MAY BE THE ROCKY EVENT WAS LUCKY TO RECEIVE THIS MUCH SUPPORT FROM THE BRISBANE AREA TEAMS FOR SO LONG AND NOT ATTRACT CRITISISM FOR LOOKING AFTER THEIR OWN JUNIOR/YOUTH BOWLERS IN OUR OWN AREA, FINANCIALY, THE ENJOYMENT OF BOWLING AND NOT BEING TORCHED IN ONE OF THE LOWEST SCORING CENTRE IN QLD. ENJOYMENT OF TENPIN BOWLING IS TO BOWL YOUR AVERAGE AND HAVE FUN.
YOURS IN BOWLING,
BRIAN BATES.

Sorry, I have tried very hard not to reply to much of what has been posted but I just cannot let the last comments from Brian go un-answered. Just for the record, as everyone knows this is/was a scratch tournament. So therefore higher ended junior bowlers generally bowl in this comp. Kingaroy don't have the juniors and Rocky have drafted from their centre in the past. Gladstone and Mackay are in the same boat. I would guess Hervey Bay are the same cos they did not even host the Wide Bay Circuit this year. Perhaps like so many they are looking more at social bowling. So that has dealt with 4 centres. As for Townsville, Mt. Isa and Cairns I have no idea, I know at least one team got flooded in/out being "that time of year" sorry our road system was/is not as good as our south brothers, and that put them off.

We here in Rocky only have one major junior/youth tournament a year being the shield all other events we have to travel to State, Nationals, Wide bay circuit, Cabooture event a few weeks ago, to name just a few so Brain is very easy to band figures about, but how much do you think is costs our juniors and adults come to that to support other centres events? And not only us but I know Bundy/Maryborough/Gladstone Bowlers support other events. Being "country bumpkins" comes at a huge cost to us in all sporting events. Sorry again we just don't have the population let alone centres our city brothers have. And taking the high ground is oh! so very easy when you have everything on your doorstep.
Comments about our lane conditionals could be well founded (but I have bowled on worse) but as you now know the McKenna family placed a huge investment into the centre and I am sure John Mc was very proud to announce that the Junior Shield would be the first event to bowl on the new lanes. But as they say the show must go on, so some event will be bowled on our new lanes.
It may not be "fun" for the adults to watch the kids un-wind in the pool after a days bowling but sure as hell from the posts the kids enjoyed their time here in Rocky. The playing field was the same for everyone if it was bias then Rocky would win every year which they have not......What happened to "it's the taking part and enjoying yourself, rather than just the win that matters?"

If this was truly not designed to "hurt Rocky" then why was it scheduled one week before the shield I am afraid this "little black duck" does not believe you. You could have just as easily held the same event in June but then the pressure would have been on from those kids who just want to have fun. Your event has now removed their options cos I would not be traveling if I did not have to. Politics have played there hand in this one and no matter how you "window dress" this that's the bottom line.

So that's my two bobs worth. From a mother that will remain broke as long as her sons passion for bowling continues.

Take care out there Lynn

ROCKY V/S CABOOLTURE
this thing has become a battle field to harsh for the internet to handle and sure that if computers had ears they would be deff from people yelling at it.
for the past few years numbers of teams have slowing dropped out of rocky...
bit sad too say Sunshine Coast hasn't been mentioned...
but i know that the northen towns such as Cairns Mackay stopped in the rochkampton competition because of nationals being moved to easter instead of june/july... they found this time too short for their expensises.

ROCKY-
One of my favourite tournaments i've bowled it 8 times since the year 2000 when i was 8 years old and have made so many life time friends from this event.
To me being the youngest in my team for most of my rocky experiences was about bowling my best may it be 140 or 240 and then goin back to resort for pizza/ sizzler and a BBQ on the last day, swimming and bunking with friends in a cabin (always got that dam fold out couch but) and coming home with a voice a mother loved (no voice).
the worse thing for me was the 6 and a half hr drive in the middle of summmer with retched heat waves (or because or having to travel with older brothers and a sister punching slapping and yelling... turned me off the travel)
all i know is that every year it was an experience of my life i wont forget

CABOOLTURE
This is the event i will hopefully be attending in january next year. if i find a team (wink, wink). but morally because its the closet centre to me apart from my own. and even if its at Aspley that still closer.
i didn't know it was dedicated to Mrs Weir until now and think it is absoulutly great she supported both me and my sister and we love her for that. even if i do give a fair bit of cheek.
this tournatment may not be as good as rocky but who knows until it goes ahead even if most peolpe think its at the wrong time of year, but francley.... winter seriously personally i'd rather be curled up in front of heater in hypernation for 3 months then bowl.
in my eyes i believe that this tournament is going to be pretty similar to Ken Mills Kup who im sure most people know about and not anywhere near hard as the president's sheild against all states

so guys please stop breathing down each others necks.
what ever happens im sure juniors will still enjoy to bowl in these kinds of competitions i know i will i just so long as you keep them intrested in the sprort which starts at your own centre thats where i lost it cause there isn't much junior bowling at my centre unless your 8 and they start too loose intrest much after that.

cheers
Larissa Brosnan

Back
Top Bottom