2004 Victorian Presidents Shield Roll-offs

for all those that think there should be no change to last year

go hold the trials at illawarra strikezone

and all the practises

does any one know if the entry forms for president shield are on here yet?

if there is plz reply asap

alicia

This is getting insane guys...
One weekend is going to save the likes of alicia and her family stacks of cash.....figure it, a 6 hour drive....twice (up and back), accomodation for one weekend, food drink etc. Times that by two if the trials were over two weekends, 3 if you go back to the format used 2 years ago....from this point of view i understand completely the vtba's intentions. And as for cutting after 8 games, i GUESS it's not that bad an idea, i mean, if the guys are only getting 25 bowlers or so, its probably better to cut sooner rather than later and get down to the business end of the trials. Still, its rather unorthadox, but hey, if all runs terribly, which im sure it wont, im sure the comitee will learn from their mistakes next year!
Maybe we have too many worry warts? I know i panicked at first, but im coming around, and its not likely to change so just get used to the fact.....like was said, come prepared and all will be fine..... :)

honestly how can they say its to compensate for country bowlers! it compensates for geelong bowlers. I have no problem with it being helf there its the fact that its so many games over one weekend and it seems they are using the excuse of its for country bowlers. im from morwell and i have to travel 3 hours to get there.

Its good to see some changes but this one there was no need. no-one complained before hand. just my thoughts anyway. sorry if anyone disagrees.

Debra

Craig,

im with you buddy... think about it people, this as a STATE TEAM... the format is not suggesting junior bowlers maintain a 200+ average over so many games, but maintain a quality average... i promote this change, and give the board members of the VTBA a pat on the back.( i dont do that often)

Further More:
- No one can have a lucky weekend over so many games.
- Parents are going to save a shit load of time and money.
- And YES, if you want to keep things as they were last year, have the trials at STRIKE ZONE.

The only negative i see about the trials is that STRIKE ZONE lanes are synthetic, trials need to be moved to a house with similar conditions. ummmmm...MENTONE!

so no negatives LINDZ

all positives

glad someone agrees, thought i was going insane for a week or two

how can holding the trials in Geelong compensate for country bowlers?
every bowler has to travel we all know that. but arent the trials about finding the best team, not about trying to make everybody happy (which this format certainly isnt)
why not have one trial at shep, one in geelong and one in the city somewhere.
fair enough to have the trials all at forest hill this year but why not revert back to the way the trials were held in 2001 where the centers chosen were melton, morwell and mooroolbark.

the other matter of bowling 14 games in one day is one of concern
how can having 14 games in a day simulate a day in presidents shield where they bowl 6 games a day

keeping the trials similar to conditions at shield will provide the best team to take away.
why not have 12 games qualifying one weekend where each bowler bowls 6 games a day in 4-5 person teams
cut to the top 16 for the next trial and proceed with matchplay for one weekend with 10 games with 5 each day in 5 person teams
then coming back and completing the matchplay on another saturday or sunday bowling the remaining 5 matches in 5 man teams.

imagine if the weather was similar to that of the 46 degree day we had in melbourne this year and the juniors were expected to bowl 14 games. i think this might trouble people more than if the bowlers were only expected to bowl 6 games

the negatives far outweigh the positives with the format of these trials and too many bowlers are disagreeing with them, something must be done.

I am dissapointed that country bowlers seem to be copping the flak for the changes. Can't see how holding trials over one wekend 'compensates for country bowlers'. Yeh, sure you are saving one trip for the trials, but what about the six or so weekends that you travel after you make the team? That's when the costs mount up.

If the format changes so be it, but don't lay the excuse for the change on country bowlers.

Here's a thought! While were at it, let's make the Rachuig trials one wekend. Cut to top 8 (if you get that many, i suppose) after 8 games. Should be able to hit your straps by then, right? Then head to head over four rounds, 28 + 8 = 36 games. 18 games each day, should be no sweat for the adults!

Any comments?

i with you Craig, i'd be up for the challenge, something abit different is always good.

you think your roll offs style is different this year?
you should check out sa's in forum.

hey arvey, i have bowled a 60 game marathon in mildura on my own.

whats your next suggestion, under water, hands tied behind ya back etc etc

stop being a sook and bowl

I agree with what Chucky says

Hey Chandler how much did i travel when i made shield those 3 years??

Oh Well

Bring on S.A Cup and Rachiug

Deano

2004 Vic President Shield Trails

Hi all

I have finally read all of the post about the changes to the format for 2004 President Shield trials.

I would like to thank everybody for their comment's (good & bad). As a VTBA commitee member I can assure you all that we do listen & try to respond to the bowlers of Victoria. Last year I fielded a lot of compliants from a number of parents about the dates of the trials. They were concerned that having the trials in January had disadvantaged many kids who had very heavy school schedules the year before & had needed a break. By having the trails in January it did not give them enough time to get back into practice after the Xmas break. I understand that this is a choice of the bowler and/or parent & other bowlers and/or parents don't make that choice. However, it did make sense to me & other commitee members to move the trails back so that they were held after leagues came back.

This then created another problem in trying to find 2 or 3 weekends free for the trails within a 4 - 6 weeks period. Look at the calendar with Adult, Youth & Junior torunaments almost every weekend there wasn't much choice but to go to one weekend. I understand that we could have asked bowlers to make a choice but in this day & age a number of the top junior bowlers are choosing to bowl torunaments for money instead of President Shield (unfortunately they have followed the Adult example - look at how many of the top bowlers give Rachuig a miss). We don't want to see that happen to President Shield.

As for the country bowlers being blamed for the change this is rubbish. Yes, part of the reason was to reduce the cost to the country bowlers & I make no apology for that. Bowling is an amateur sport with a professional price tag & a number of junior bowlers don't try out for President Shield because of the price tag. While we can't do anything about the $1,200 cost of representing Victoria (cept fund raising) we can try a reduce the cost of the trails.

As for the number of games & how 12 & 13 years olds are going to cope. How any 12 & 13 years old are real good enough to make the state team. I know that some are & I am not trying to upset anybody but most 12 & 13 year olds should be looking at the trails as experience for the coming years & they have the East Coast Junior Handicap team to also gain experience.

I believe that changes were warranted as yes Victoria won last year in Victoria but how about our preformances of the last few years interstate. If we have got the format wrong then we will review it for next year.

Lastly, the VTBA will be holding an open forum in the first half of 2004 (date to be advised) & Junior bowling will be a major topic so I encourage all people to attended, especially the people who have bagged us so badly.

If anybody would like to discuss this or any other matter with me in person please ring Ed Fleming Lanes on 97260333 or my mobile (0414) 292315 or email me at [email protected].

Hi Simon,

Firstly, happy new year to you, Sharon and the kids.

Thanks for your explanation on why and how the changes to Presidents Shield happened. I do think though that if this explanation or one from another member of the committee may have saved some rash words from some parties.

I'm sure that the kids will handle the new format ok and like you said, if the Vic team is or is not successful the committee will know whether they made the wrong or right decision, untill then all will have to wait and see.

As with any change to any thing there is and always will be those for and those against that's why we live in a democracy where things are allowed to change and people are allowed to say what they please.

Anyway enough ramblings for now.

Rob

PS. I think the kids should be more worried about Chucky's lane conditions than the format. LOLOL

i'll will be in perth that weekend for super 6, so if ya gonna abuse me, yell loud

or catch me @ country cup the week after

or make an appointment, i'm a busy man these days

for those that have never been to geelong before, it is one of the most updated houses in australia, its spacious (28 lanes), clean and a very comfortable place to hold larger events

good luck to all the juniors, it may be tough, but its all character building

all i can say is you will be bowling on a 3:1 ratio pattern, so if your coming down expecting to shoot mass scores on a block, or anything that resembles it, think again!!! :?

in regards to simon speaking out, congratulations to simon, we all sit and whinge about decisions that are made (not that i did on this one), and its good to see the board or its representatives come out and voice their point of view in regards to how and why they did what they did :D

and beware of lanes 11&12 in 2003 there were 4 x 300 games and 2 x 800/3 series bowled there, the carry can be tough on lane 12 :wink:

Back
Top Bottom