2004 Victorian Presidents Shield Roll-offs

Rowdy

The entries are finally out!
Well everybody, it's come around again and nows the time to get ready for the Victorian Presidents Shield Roll-Offs

Entries were out at Junior Shield last weekend so you should be able to find them at your local bowling alley.

Entries are to be handed in by 14th Feb so hopefully there will be plenty trying out. It will be held at Geelong Bowling Lanes on the 28th and 29th of February.

For more information grab an entry form and check it out

is it possible to get the electronic version downloaded onto the entry forms section of the site?
Sounds like the format is a tad different this year....

I would call qualifying in one centre on one weekend a a lot more than a tad different! ! ! ! ! It will suit some I'm sure. But Fair, well only time will tell.

hmm yeh one weekend is different, very different. It'll be interesting to see what happens considering the amount of games being bowled the first day- that is 13 for the girls and 14 for the boys. It calls for a long day with match play being in 3 man teams.
Makes you wonder why they are changing the format used this year which saw the selection of 2 very good teams. The reason i was given was to compensate for country bowlers, however there are many not happy, including country bowlers, with the change.

I think its a dangerous think to do going to 1 weekend trials. Surely the aim should be to get a side that is capable of holding their form over a period of time as the actual event wont be until some time after the trials.

I havent actually seen the form, but from what im hearing........Crazzzzed mate i agree...
2 years ago i remember bowling 15 games qualifying at mooralbark over the first weekend, 10 games matchplay at morwell over the second weekend, and another 9 games matchplay at melton for the third weekend...*hmmmmmmmmm* its a far cry from one weekend at one centre...

Pressy Shield 2004

Well I only signed up because im bored but may as well join in with this forum since it affects me.... :p

Yeah from what I know the format is trying to be changed, led by Don Honeychurch (well thats what I heard anyway)...but big deal the best bowlers will still be decided, although its kinda lame that it cuts after 8 games since anyone could fluke that.

Also I will speak with Peter Coburn to try and get the entry form chucked on the net for those who wish to download it. Think thats it catch all you juniors down at Geelong if I don't see you at Morwell/Werribee for the youth comps!

Laters
- Brett

a huh a huh.. John Honeychurch is trying to change it. The girls who are coached by him all spoke about this a couple of months back. We all agreed that the format shouldnt be changed. So John spoke to the commitee on behalf of us and was told it would be held over two weekends. Looks like they really kept their word ey. I'll be speaking to John next time i go to coaching and see what is going to happen.
By the way, we thought it shouldnt be over one weekend because this can cause the best bowlers not being selected. If a person were to have a big weekend and make the team, the bowlers who should be there arent. Holding it over two or even three weekends will bring out the best bowlers. I'm still hoping there will be changes made to the entry forms!

I disagree with the format in which they will be conducting the President Shield trials next year.. I have bowled it for the last 3 years and found the way they did, the best way to get the best team...

However, if a person does happen to have a big weekend then they should be in the team...

I wouldnt worry too much Rowdy.. I see NO reason why you can't make the team.. Whatever the condition I know you will be good enough to make it.

But I do see everyone's point, If someone is sick on the weekend, then they may not be able to perform at their best.

Perhaps someone should speak to Jan or Justin from the TBA and find out why they decided to change the format.

thank ya sweetie!

but ey i wasnt saying someone deosnt deserve to be in the team if they bowl big that weekend, but they may not be if it were to be held over more than one weekend- the better bowlers would come through..

i spoke to Jan at Junior Shield and was told the reason for the change was to "compensate for country bowlers"

Compensating for Country bowlers!!??

That in my opinion is not very fair... because I have to travel just as far as everyone else and I live in Melbourne!

It doesnt matter where you have trials.. people will have to travel.

Every year that I bowled President's shield the closest trial to my place was probably Forest Hill which was 1 hour away!

Every year a trial is held in a country centre.
The first year I rolled off it was Mentone, Moorabbin, GEELONG, Boronia.

The second year.. Mooroolbark, MORWELL, MELTON. (all of which were over an hour from my house!)

Third year.. all at Forest Hill because that was where Presidents Shield was being held!

I think someone should put in an official protest because I'm too old to bowl and I'm annoyed.

You're not the only one!
Like i said previously, i'm sure John will be doing something on our behalf because he is definately not impressed. If i hear anything i'll keep you informed

I agree with yous all, but on a side note...
Why the hell are the trials being held so late anyway?
I thought they were trying to get them held EARLIER in the year, if not December this year. Like I know SA has already had their rolloff and decided teams, and we have to wait until last w/end in Feb?!

And if it is changed to over 2 or 3 weekends its going to be even later...not to mention at probably another centre that is like 2 hours drive

P.S. Let me know who will be trialing for the boys team I wanna know some names ill be up against :p

Lates

sa's team has NOT been decided... roll offs arent untill the last weekend in january and early febuary...

Is it any wonder that this is turning into another fiasco people. Who is it that makes these type of changes and why?? Lotus has stated the facts concerning how the country bowlers HAVE been accomodated in the past. I seriously doubt the bowlers wishes for a roll-off which really brings out the best bowlers will be adhered to. I guess whoever is having a good day that day will make the team. Shame though for Victoria. What's the cost?? Hmmmm.

Tassie has had their rolloffs .. I think the format is different for sure but it's not bad! I think their trying to find the fittest bowlers as well as the best . .
Just my 2 cents worth I guess
kara

shield roll offs

well i have to agree with kara that having a number of games in the one day will help find people who are able to bowl a number of games and continue to bowl well through long days because it can be a very long busy day when you go away with all the games and excitement that you have

however if you look at some of the stronger teams you will find they have their trials over a few weekends therefore finding their strongest bowlers who can continue to bowl well over a longer period of time! this is like SA they have a trial at the end of the year and then have a few more days in the new year to select their team!

i believe that having the trials over a number of weekends over a period of time with a number of games in the one day would gain the strongest team!

the way we had the trials was sorta like this but i believe maybe not enough games in the one day. just about anyone can bowl 5 games in one day but if the day was maybe longer you would be able to gain those stronger bowlers who can last that bit longer and continue to bowl those higher games.

as for the reason of changing it for country bowlers i find that hard to believe because i dont really see how we have been disadvantaged over the past few years! i was in the team for three years from 2000 til 2002 and each year about half the team was made up of country bowlers and as carly has said we have had trials in atleast one country center except for this year which woulda been not the smartest idea because you want to find the bowlers who can bowl at the center the tournie is bein held at!

no matter how you make the trials there is going to be someone who doesnt agree with it and wants it changed so maybe they are just trying something different but it would be hard to change it now being so close to the new year already so im guessing not much can be done about it this time around.

it would be good though to see a few opinions of how the trials should be done and maybe they will look at that in the future

Sarah-Jayne

Hi All,

Could someone please tell me how this format compensates the country bowler and why is this stupid city / country rubbish popping it's ugly little head up again?

Rob

Hmph.......
Went in for league last nite....no entry forms, bowl hasnt recieved any...
I agree with rob...Im a country bowler myself...how on earth does the FORMAT of bowl over one weekend benefit the country bowlers?
And how can u select the best side, when ur qualifying is over 8 games....anyone can make a bad start....dangerous is the word!

I have to say something about this. My concern is the amount of games to be bowled over a weekend. I know of 2 bowlers only who will be trying out from geelong. So if we have say 15 girls and 25 boys (which is about what we have had last 4 years) it means that 38 bowlers will have to either have to travel sat morning early very early to get to the bowl at least 1 and 1/2 hrs from melb and more if u are country So we have 8.30 checkin so leave home from melb 6.45 which means up at 6 a.m. at the latest. So you either come up to geelong the previous night or have a early morning a very early morning if you live in morwell or albury or sheppaton. And lets face it they have provided bowlers every year i have been involved.

So let set the stage. You have travelled up to geelong the night before say from midura a 6 hr drive at a guess your prob back at school so cant leave till 4.30 fri arrive at geelong at midnight check into hotel to find bed is uncomftable get no sleep get to bowl at 8. 15 for check in and then spend the next 12 hrs bowling 13 games. You feel like shit go back to the hotel still no sleep and still have to bolw the next day to make the team.

Now i dont know about anybody else but lots of bowlers have been prcaticing for a long time to make pres shield. It is the highlight of most juniors bowling career. 13 games in one day is way to many.
To have to roll offs over one weekend is stupid. I dont knwo if it can be changed but i will be trying. If anybody else feels the same and they have children competing in Pres shield speak up. The physical drain on these kids will be enormous. What if we get 40 degree days. some of these kids are 13 ,14 yrs old.

I dont know whether the committee who decided this have taken all of the circumstances into concideration but it is not to late to change it. If you intend to try out contact the tourney director and express your concern as i will be.

my main concern is injury or risk to the bowlers. they dont even ask the adults to bowl more than 12 games in major events in a day yet they expect 13, 14 and 15 yr olds to bowl more.

I cannot beleive that this is the best way to select Victorias defending presidents shield team. Is convenient the right word, get it all out of the way in one weekend. If this is the case i find that very sad but there must be some reason. For the sake of the kids bowling i hope common sence prevails and this can be sorted out.

Phillip Allen

I apologise if this post has upset anybody but i have the safety of the junioir bowlers of victoria at heart. We have to treat them like athletes for them to perform at there best. This current roll off is not the way to do that

Back
Top Bottom