Who'll be the next to step up?

It depends who wants it bad enough. I played the Fall Tour in 1992 and it got that right out of my system. It's a tough life. As Team USA Coach Mike Lastowski once said to me; "It's the only job in the world where you pay a thousand bucks a week to go to work and then if you happen to finish in the top third of your fellow co-workers (who just happen to be the best in the world at their job) you get to make your money back and make nothing. Then if you happen to hit it well and make the top 24, you might make a decent wage. Then if you really excel for the week and make the top 10, you've made some good money, which is unusual enough to be remarked upon by the TV commentators." You have to really want it.

All this while living in another country, not knowing your way around and jet lagged out of your mind for the first two weeks. (If you're like me.) I do not miss bowling on tour. For Australians, the US is not home. You're alone. Most of the US is cold compared to Australia, as our cities are almost all coastal. And unless you live on salty processed crap here, the diet options over there are very poor (eat at Chipotle wherever you can!). At least Jason doesn't have to worry about his thumb getting stuck in the ball because he's swollen up on all the salt! (Happened to me last year in Vegas...)

I tip my hat to Jason for being able to do as remarkably well as he has to date. It's no picnic. To whoever else wants to try it, the PBA is a great adventure, but be prepared to tackle the hardest job of your life.

The PBA is not what it once was, prizefunds are low, expenses are high and your bowling against some of the best bowlers on the planet. It's a very tough gig, a tough way to earn money and finish infront. I suspect we will never see another like Belmo step up and make it on tour. Sure they'll be a few bowlers like myself bowl the US Open or maybe the WSOB but considering the average wage and standard of living here versus living in a suitcase and battling for a dollar, its a no brainer business decision.

If bowling had prizefunds like golf it would be a different story but the harsh reality is that it isnt and things are looking too good in the future either. Bowling is only a profitable hobby for a select few, the rest enjoy the game for what it is, its hard to keep infront. If your a junior and youre reading this, go to uni or get yourself a trade, keep bowling but accept its a fun hobby and thats it.

Michael Tomicek, I've never met you, but don't make my mistakes and make sure you go and do both. Go to uni (or get a trade) and become a great bowler! That way you'll have grown up a bit, learned how to think critically and independently (if you study something that involves critical, independent thought) as well as having the emotional security of knowing you can do something else if you don't wanna chuck the rock for a living.

Having that back up has gotta be good for freeing up one's swing!

In fact, that's my heartfelt advice for all the young, aspiring professional bowlers out there.

Scott Norton is a great role model of the future for the PBA Professional in my opinion. Got his quals, works part time and bowls the rest of the time. He can bankroll himself. Until the US economy recovers (and that's a way off), some supplementary income is required.

Jason's out there doing coaching clinics and the like. (Hopefully that's a winner for him.) I'm sure that income stream is making things a little easier for him mentally when he's playing. Besides, it's smart business to diversify. If Jason were not able to bowl for some reason, he can still coach and make a few bucks while rehabilitating.

Vaughan Comfort.... remember that name people. He will break whatever record Belmo sets as the most PBA tour titles by an aussie. Might just have to think really hard to remember the name and this post as Vaughan only just turned 1 year old in August ;) His dear old dad as his coach...

Back
Top Bottom