What Ball Do I Need ?

Loose Cannon

Bowlers always have time to spare.
Hey Everyone,

balls.jpg

Have returned to bowling recently after a long layoff and have been bowling with my old brunswick rhino & columbia u dot urethane balls for the time being mainly just to get my form and rythym back( see pic).Man these things could hook in their day but they have little or no grip on the lanes now, ah well its getting my groove back anyway.;)

I'd like to get a reactive ball very soon as i'm a stroker, and have a budget of around $200 to play with. Is choosing the right ball just a preference like some people like cruisers over patrols or holdens over fords or are there particular brands of balls that just stand out from the rest.

I'd probably keep the columbia u dot in my bag as i find its been a good ball to spare with.

Appreciate feedback & thoughts

Personal preference all the way. If you like Columbia then look at the new Columbia balls.

Each brand has good and not so good things about it.

will most likely cost you more than $200 but if you can stretch the budget then you cant go past a Storm Virtual Gravity...truly a great ball. I had a Columbia U Dot and really liked it as well. The Virtual is another one of those balls that you will really like...give it a couple of weeks to track up a bit and you will love it. Works well whether polished or sanded.

Cheers
Paul T

Hey Everyone,

balls.jpg

Have returned to bowling recently after a long layoff and have been bowling with my old brunswick rhino & columbia u dot urethane balls for the time being mainly just to get my form and rythym back( see pic).Man these things could hook in their day but they have little or no grip on the lanes now, ah well its getting my groove back anyway.;)

I'd like to get a reactive ball very soon as i'm a stroker, and have a budget of around $200 to play with. Is choosing the right ball just a preference like some people like cruisers over patrols or holdens over fords or are there particular brands of balls that just stand out from the rest.

I'd probably keep the columbia u dot in my bag as i find its been a good ball to spare with.

Appreciate feedback & thoughts
Hey again:) The bowling ball market is a very huge market especially back in the states therefore all manufacturers generally are on par with each other. Infact some of the ball manufacturers come out of the same factory therefore needless to say are sharing the same latest technological advances in cores, coverstocks & mere ball design.

I would agree with Casual Observer and say at the end of the day it really boils down to personal preference but I would add that if you like balls that small nice enough to eat then Storm is the only way to go & if thats the path ur going down then as skippy said the Virtual Gravity is a monster!

If I was a stroker and wanted a reaction that was seen 'back in the day', i would get entry level performance ball.

Something like;
Storm: Tropical Heat range
Rotogrip: Riot
Brunswick: Slingshot
Columbia: Freeze or Scout
Ebonite: Tornado

Depends what your rev rate is like, but as most people are saying, the Virtual Gravity is VERY versitle, and most bowlers can adapt to the way they move. :)

Little bit out there and a little bit of a drive, but i think you should drive down to Canberra to say Jason Doust at Bowlers Edge, I made the trip back in Late 09 down to see Mr Doust(all the way from Brisbane) and it was well worth everysingle cent, Recommend Jason to anyone. Plus its always better if the driller can see how you bowl, ball speed, tilt etc etc so they can pick the right ball for you and drill it the right way.

G'Day All,

Only being back in bowling myself a short while, I would recommend getting someone to watch how you bowl then buy a ball. Use it for a month, make sure it's right and works as expected and expand from there. Also making sure your style does not change.

I made the mistake of trying to do it all myself with a belief of the type of bowler I was. Turns out I am between a stroker and tweener.

Since then I have bought and drilled another four balls with another waiting to be drilled now that I have a clearer picture of what I need and like. My drilling pattern is totally different to the first ball drilled when I came back 7 months ago.

I have a few balls I no longer use as they are wrong for me, one that works great for me a spare ball and another that I am about to drill.

Could have saved a lot of money by getting someone like Jason to watch the way I bowled and getting it right first time.

why not buy a couple of second hand balls to experiment with before u buy a new one. Theres a second hand forum on this site

Little bit out there and a little bit of a drive, but i think you should drive down to Canberra to say Jason Doust at Bowlers Edge, I made the trip back in Late 09 down to see Mr Doust(all the way from Brisbane) and it was well worth everysingle cent, Recommend Jason to anyone. Plus its always better if the driller can see how you bowl, ball speed, tilt etc etc so they can pick the right ball for you and drill it the right way.

Well i took the 2 hr drive to see jason today at bowlers edge and got my ball of choice drilled, now the proud owner of a Storm virtual gravity nano. After reviewing my bowling style, working out my PAP, span,drilling, witty banter ,2 hrs just flew by.It was well worth the drive as Jason is just a font of bowling knowledge which i only scratched the surface with. Definately will be doing business again with him down the track.
nano.jpg

Well i took the 2 hr drive to see jason today at bowlers edge and got my ball of choice drilled, now the proud owner of a Storm virtual gravity nano. After reviewing my bowling style, working out my PAP, span,drilling, witty banter ,2 hrs just flew by.It was well worth the drive as Jason is just a font of bowling knowledge which i only scratched the surface with. Definately will be doing business again with him down the track.

That's awesome news man=]

Glad your happy with the outcome

Hi Luke,

I can't tell you how much time and money you have saved yourelf by getting it done right first time and using the years of knowledge Jason has built up.

As teenager bowling with Jason in Juniors, he use to make me laugh because of his wit and wanting to know more. Now he does and is sharing it around, big bonus.

Now your addiction will start. What ball are you going to buy next pay day?

Hi Luke,

I can't tell you how much time and money you have saved yourelf by getting it done right first time and using the years of knowledge Jason has built up.

As teenager bowling with Jason in Juniors, he use to make me laugh because of his wit and wanting to know more. Now he does and is sharing it around, big bonus.

Now your addiction will start. What ball are you going to buy next pay day?

Don't know yet John, with so many different makes of brands flooding the market my decision is as clear as mud at this stage :)

Back
Top Bottom