Walter De Veer Dropoff

kahlua_666

I understand that alot of higher average bowlers (160 - 180) are not able to bowl this year but where is the loyalty from the rest of the field. :(
I know that alot of bowlers are not happy about the decesion made (by TBA) to cut the averages but please lets make the tournament as great as it should be.
Anyone who has been involved in De Veer in the past knows only to well what a great tournament it is so why not keep it that way.
I know things will be different this year but we can still have the fun we always do.
We need a voice this year so we can get the tournament back to the way we all would like it to be and with out a voice we will be lost.
I have met so many great friends thru De Veer and we can continue to do so if we all get behind it again this year. :D
It is not always possible for everyone to come out year after year but please encourage friends and new bowlers to roll off and see what a great time we can have.
I have probably said too much but I feel very strongly about the tournament and would hate to lose it now. I am on the bowlers side so lets all see what we can do. :multi:

Cheers
Pam

De Veer Bowler's let's keep the topic hot talk about change's all the way to the National's in Melbourne and then ask for the change's we wont.

Not what was said we wanted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who was asked in the first place ??????????????

Gary.

kahlua_666 said:
....It is not always possible for everyone to come out year after year but please encourage friends and new bowlers to roll off and see what a great time we can have.....

Cheers
Pam

Yep I reckon that is the key Pam.... spread the word to those that don't know about WDV and encourage those that we know have the ability to do it.
I know that last year I had the attitude that "No way am I a good enough bowler for that".....it was only because one of the girls encouraged me to even try out that I did. She was like "come on - I am going to - do it with me". So I did and damned if I didn't top qualify during rolloffs LMAO! :oops:
To then bowl the best that I have ever bowled during the WDV did wonders for my confidence (not to mention the support from not only my own team but other teams as well). The icing on the cake for my entire trip was to also make the All Stars Team.
While it looks like this years WDV won't be quite the same (and I am not sure what will happen) - lets look forward to 2005 and making it a strong competition where every state has the numbers to send away a graded team for the WDV tournament.

Cheers
Sue :)

I'm one of the bowlers that have been cut out of even trying out for the De Veer Tournament this year, but I hope and wish that everyone that does qualify for their respective teams all the best in Melbourne. I'll be making the trip down from the Gold Coast for the Nationals, and I'll be at the bowl every day supporting all of the De Veer teams but especially South Queensland. Not as many numbers for the rolloffs as in previous years but TBA will have to look at a way of increasing the numbers or this great tournament may eventually go the same way as the Dodo.

Daniel "Speedbump" Simpson
SQ and Qld De Veer past team member.

If the downgrading of averages was an experiment, clearly it failed.
Or did it?
After all, they didn't tamper with Rachuig and some States are still struggling to field full squads.
The question is how long will TBA take to react? Something has to be done in time for 2005.
Major changes will have to be implemented in both comps if the numbers are to be improved. There has to be more and better incentive for people to roll-off.
Two of the more practical suggestions have been the dropping of coaches and the guarantee of a minimum number of games for all squad members during the comp.
This forum has over 2000 members, surely we can come up with something?

Walter De Veer

Andrew why would you want to drop off the coaches....What will that achieve.....Nothing in reality.........Maybe the best way is for all bowlers to get more involved with their State Association. Go to the bowlers forums when they are on. WDV nominations were down in Victoria as well and it had nothing to do with averages.....it had to do with the State body not promoting the trials early enough. We had 3 bowlers try out from our centre.And if every centre produced 3-5 bowlers then you would have a great turn up in the trials.
But it gets back to the State associations, working in with all the centre's and finishing off with all previous WDV bowlers to prromote this event every Year.........You know guys it is up to everyone to help promote WDV regardless if your average is too high or not. Lets face it the end result is that you are representing your state and trying your best to win the trophy for your state........thats the ultimate...........So lets stop whinging all the time and actually do something about it....I get sick of hearing everyone sprouting about whats not happening, but lets examine the facts, and they are :evil: :evil: "WHAT ARE U DOING TO PROMOTE WDV IN YOUR STATE" :twisted: :twisted: the most likely answer would be nothing.........because a lot of bowlers don't want to bring new bowlers into the trials because they might actually stop them from making the team again or they really can not be bothered or why should we do the work for the State Association.....Well the state association is there to help run and promote bowling, but like everyone they need help as well sometimes.........so get off your arses and help them, you might find that you actually could be enjoying the experience.........

How can you promote when you when are not aware of change's! Ie: No Info at my local Bowl :!:
As you and i know i am now repeting myself again who was asked about change's and who wanted them :?: ]

Have spoken to Vic,Sth Qld & NT association member's ( some are leader's ) and they say they did not know who asked for change's :!: :!:
CAN SOME-ONE PLEASE TELL US WHO INSTIGATED CHANGE'S :?: :?: :?: :?: TO DE VEER :!:
Which State's it has to be recorded some where :?:
Why :?:
Just intrested.

Gary.............

Walter De Veer

I think you are forgetting that TBA can make changes without having to ask anyone. There were several forums last year with very little response from bowlers. If you don't get info at your centre, maybe you should have a go at your centre management because I have no problems getting info from TBA or State Ass. with regards to any State team trials etc. The only problem I had this year was that the state changed qualifying format and I did not think that the format was a FAIR format and therefore did not bowl. That was my personal choice and I did let the State body know what I thought.To their credit they also got in touch with me and tried to explain why the changes were made. Good on them they did not have to expalin themselves, but they did and it was my choice if I bowled or not. (by the way I still don't agree with the qualifying format)
And Gary with regards to WDV changes which affect you because your average is too high, well in my personal opinion you should be bowling Scratch team events as your average justifies it and leave WDV to the bowlers whose averages are just that.....graded averages......... the last couple of years we have had too many bowlers with averages way over the cut off and they should not be there they should be bowling in the scratch sections not Graded section. Both you and I know that you are capable of bowling high 190 plus average so it would not matter if they left the average cuttoff as previous your average would still be too high.
I will repeat what I have said before what have you done to help promote state team trials.............and if you dont get any info then go out and source it from several different outlets.....namely the web sites and most display e-mail addresses for the committee's who you can get in touch and ask the questions with regards to WDV.

Morwell your views on State Associations are well documented.
What you don't seem to understand is the simple fact that at State level, people are not as willing to serve on committees as they were in the past. There are Juniors, Youth, Rachuig, De Veer and the State Champs all of which have their own Committees in some States. I don't know how Victoria works but I do have a reasonable idea about Queensland.
It is all very well bashing the State bodies but unless you have any reasonable theories as to how we can get more volunteers to serve on Committees please be more constructive.
Sure we would all like to see more promotion of De Veer and your suggestion that bowlers become more involved with their State bodies is a good one.
I don't for one minute think it will happen though.
I've watched the attendance levels over the last 10 - 15 years drop off dramatically at the Qld AGMs. We used to fill Committee positions easily - for whatever reason it doesn't happen any more. Promotion can't happen without people to drive it and right now we don't have those people.

The orginal De Verr was never graded :!:
See History of DeVerr on T.B.A web site...............

Gary

ps i wish i could alway's bowl above 190 :roll:

To Morwell
i think my highest ave ever was 185 :?:
Then my bowling balls are 6 to 8 year's old :!:
Like me going down hill :lol: :lol: :lol: ave around 178 today :cry:

Gary..............

Re: Walter De Veer

Morwell Tenpins said:
I think you are forgetting that TBA can make changes without having to ask anyone.

Fact : TBA announced the changes stating that they had asked the De Veer bowlers over the previous 2 years what they wanted.

Fact : Most De Veer bowlers dispute this comment.

Fact : TBA did not ask the State bodies for their input.

Had they done so maybe we wouldn't be discussing this now.

Walter De Veer

Andrew, yes I hear what you are saying. But we are not the only sport that has trouble getting nominations for committees. Lets face it all our committe's are volunteers and it does not matter what they do,somebody will have a go at them....seems to be the Australian way. But lets look at our top bowlers in each state, how many are actually involved with State committee's.......not many I venture to guess........why........mainly because they are too busy bowling in all the tournaments etc that are available to them.So that would leave a big gap with regards to experience on the various state boards.Like most businesse's you need experience personal on board to make that particular business a success........well the same must be said for the various associations we need experience personal to drive these associations so that they become successful. Most junior committee's have Moms or Das on the board because their children are involved so they get involved.Thtas great they they have volunteered to help out, but we still need experience personal to drive them.
In the past several state over the years have had a good driver to help promote and push their state, but once they have retired or handed over the reins to someone else that driving force has become very tame.
I know victoria in its hey day had a great driver in Pat Brook and she would do so much for everyone and everybody and got the results. Sadly we don't have too many like her any more.......................

Walter De Veer

gary, maybe you need to update your equipment. But I have seen you bowl for quite a number of years and you are much better then your current 178 ave.
Come up to Morwell and I will get up to the 190 mark.......

Re: Walter De Veer

Fact : TBA announced the changes stating that they had asked the De Veer bowlers over the previous 2 years what they wanted.

Fact : Most De Veer bowlers dispute this comment.

Fact : TBA did not ask the State bodies for their input.

Had they done so maybe we wouldn't be discussing this now.

I know of several WDV bowlers who have given TBA their input at the National the last couple of years. Also I think that by dropping the averages it would be hoped that the higher averages who miss out on WDV would try for Rachuiq.
And that seems to not be happening as they are not keen to take on the big boys.

Morwell you are right on the money when you say the top bowlers do not get involved enough at State level. I would also like to see more of our top bowlers involved in accredited coaching. It costs a great deal of money to become a level 2 and maintain coaching accreditation, maybe if TBA could come up with a rewards package waiving coaching costs for some of our HP bowlers who have represented at National level it might attract more of them to the coaching ranks.
My previous comment regarding the dropping of coaches does not apply to Walter De Veer, however the official party line that level 2 coaches are required for all State teams is surely outdated.
I really do not believe that when a 200+ HP bowler is considering going into a Rachuig roll-off he or she thinks Gee this will be great, all that coaching will really help my game.
And make no mistake some of our HP bowlers are using coaching as an excuse for not nominating. They may not admit it in public but in private it is a different story.

Walter De Veer

Yes there needs to be some consideration regarding our HP bowlers espcially since they have the experience with overseas competition. However not all bowlers make good coaches, as not all good coaches are good bowlers. I think TBA step into the HP has been a good move and I would like to see a lot more involvement from State level with regards to our coaches. Years ago it was suggested that each state try and have at least 1 level II coach in every bowling centre, who would then become involved with level I and other would be coaches. However that really has not happened, and most likely because we don't have a driver to push this move. As you are well aware most centre managers don't show much time for coaching programs and some do. But again the associations need to help implement coaching programs along with the State Coaching Managers. Yet again we have the problem that everyone is a volunteer, except in Qld. Which is good for Qld when you have paid coaches and administrators, but the other states don't have that luxury.

So how do we change for the better...............................

De Veer

Does anyone know if there is going to be an OPEN FORUM at the National Championships in Melbourne regarding the Future of the Walter De Veer tournament. I believe this was going to happen because of all the problems with the changes.

I hope this is the case so we can get everything out in the open as to what the bowlers want. We need to make this happen so I am prepared to follow it up and see what we can do.

Pam :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:

Yes Kahlua there will be a forum at the Nationals. This was confirmed this weekend at the National AGM.
TBA are asking for input so book your ticket. :lol:

Good news with regards to forum, NOW maybe the bowlers will actually get off their back sides and attend and have their say. But be constructive otherwise no one is going to get anywhere fast...........

Back
Top Bottom