top 10 tasmanians ever

M

mattri

just to get an idea, i have been bowling for 12 years i just would like to get an idea of peoples thoughts on who the top 10 tasmanian bowlers to have ever bowled are.

i have a few names that come to mind.
Ashley Riley for 1 has been by far the most consistant bowler since i can remember. Others that also have stood out would have to be Matt Burtt, Tony Gounta or who ever you spell it, Vince (cant think of his last name but he managed moonah) Ted Tiluki has been around for ever and still managers to throw a 200 averge. Just a few names

Any other thoughts would be great

Matt Riley

forgot one name there, cricky has been around for ages too, one of the states best and consistant bowlers

Sorry GAZ
icon_mad.gif

Hi Matt,

Nice to see that you did remember me - EVENTUALLY !!!!

Just to help you out with the spelling - that would be Tony Guinta, Geoff Vince & Ted Tylutki.

I started bowling about 30 years ago and here are just a few more names that should be considered :-

Danny Corbett - captained the Tasmanian team that won Rachuig in 1985.

Rodney Ratcliffe - was also in the winning Rachuig team and bowled the 2nd 300 in Rachuig.

Alan Coleman - another member of the 1985 Rachuig side and also won the Australian Masters.

Alex Pesti - the grandfather of Tasmanian bowling who was years ahead of his time.

There are probably a few others but when you get to be my age, the brain cells don't work quite as well as they should.

icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hi Cricky,
Are you sure it was 1981, how about 1985 in Woodville, SA.
I remember it because it was the first time i had been to the Nationals and luckily enough for me i witnessed Tassies first Rachuig win.
See you soon young fella!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

You are quite right Brett - 1985 was the year.

As I said, the brain cells are not what they used to be - but at least I had the right decade.

one of the greatest to have ever come through tasmania was Joel Wilson, just a crying shame that he decided to quit because of all the crap that carried on while he bowled, others were andrew tylutki, todd russell,aaron davis, andrew phillips(he has really become a scary bowler now days)matt riley you are one of the greatest to have come through here as well with hayden george and garry crick as well
well thats enough from me
jayson griggs

Jayson,

You forgot one of the best bowlers in Australia, who is from Tasmania and that is Ash Rialy who is better than anyone you have mentioned in your post.

P.S no offence to those who Jayson mentioned

ill apologise for leaving out ash i thought that i had already mentioned him, sorry about that
jaysong

Hmmm......just wondering.....How could I be included in this, when I've only been on the scene for 2 minutes????...Scary yes, as I don't know what gonna happen.......but sorta embarressing if ya ask me!

In my list I would have to include, in no particular order of preference:

Alex Pesti (as Cricky said, way before his time)
Garry Crick (Seems like he's been around for 70-80 years!!)
Ash Riley (one of the most consistant ever)
Alan Coleman (former Aust Masters champ, runner up the following year)
Tony Guinta (let his ball do the talking)
Pam Pope (silver medal at the World Games must count)
Ruth Guerster (was Tasmanian for a while, so that counts)
Paul Luko (more talent than I have ever seen)

i dont know mant TASSIE's
but BRETT RILEY is my pick
with those 100 revs and that shot WOW

he is my pick HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hi Belmo,
How is your world today.
100 revs does not even come close.

But seriously, well done on the weekend, paticularly in matchplay.

See you in Sydney at Youth in a few weeks.
Will be over with Beck, Sara and Trent (who does have a few more revs than me)

Be good.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Matt. Saw you're post about peoples thoughts on who have been the top 10 Tasmanian bowlers and thought I'd give my views.
My top 2 would be Joel Wilson, and Ash Riley. I remember when there was a time when tournaments were so regular down here, and it always seemed as though Joel and Ash were always slugging it out against each other for 1st and 2nd. They would definately be my choice for the top 2 bowlers from this state, but easily the best 2 tournament bowlers at that time aswell. Matt, you've also more than earned your place amongst the best in Tassie. Andrew Tylutki was another, he was scary. Another big one for me as I was growing up was Steve Unsworth, he always seemed to do pretty well. On terms of acheivement I would also nominate Paul Luckock, Hayden George, oh yeah... Mark Foster, even he was bowling when I was a junior and I believe he was in the best Tasmanian Junior state side in my opinion. I think they won that year and it consisted of, Joel Wilson, Andrew Tylutki, Todd Russel, Mark Foster, and I think those 2 Robinson boys who used to bowl from up north, I forget their 1st names but that team kicked ass. And I here Mark is still doing pretty good, well done on your back to back 289's, that's what I was told. Also one more has to be mentioned. Biggest Old school bowler of them all, but was a complete robot at hitting his mark and that was Norm Green. Norm's the reason why my 792 is the SECOND highest series in moonah. His record as stood for ages and I think it's like 801, or 802. Anyway, that's my say. Think I included every one I thought should be mentioned.
Trent Griggs, Hobart.

Hi Y'all
Griggsie and Androo have come up with some good names there.
Alex Peshti was a great champion of the early days of the sport and am just old enough to remember him bowling at Moonah in the late 70's or early 80's.
Geoff Vince: Manager of Moonah Bowl from the early 80's to 1991. Played in the most Rachuig's for Tasmania and also held the Australian record for most Rachuig's.
Alan Coleman: Enough said, this guy's intensity on the lanes was awesome and a truly great player over many years. Held the highest game record at Moonah from 1967-1988 with his 299 effort in 1967. An Australian Masters winner amongst other things.
Danny Corbett: This guy could play. Retired several years ago but was a very big name in the South in the '70's and 80's.
Rod Radcliffe: Originally from Queensland but has been based in the Deep South for many years. Bowled Tasmania's first 300-game at Rachuig '86 and was part of that winning team in Canberra in the same year.
Was the only Tasmanian bowler to make the TV-Shows in the 1986 and 1988 Hobart Cup's which were shown on the old Tas-Tv back then. Made a comeback this year and bowled with me on Thursday night's and is back amongst the pace.
Norm Green: This guy was a magician with the bowling ball. - Regularly averaged over the card in league and tournaments in tough conditions.
Bowled Rachuig a number of times and won a number of tournaments. Holds the Moonah Bowl 3-game Series record of 801 (Shot with a HOUSEBALL) the second highest sanctioned Series ever shot in Tasmania.
One year averaged over 220 in the Melbourne Cup for a couple of days with a houseball.
Illness ended Norm's career two years ago - what a waste.
Paul Lucock: The most gifted bowler I've ever seen. Could do anything with a bowling ball and has shot 4- perfect games.
Odds on to win any tournament if in the right frame of mind.
Like most Southern Bowlers lack of a decent tournament programme has seen the interest wane.
Others to be looked at:
Hank Jansen (A dangerous player in the 70's and 80's always dangerous in tourney's)
Garry Crick (Record speaks for itself)
Tony Giunta (The Quiet Achiever)
Joel Wilson (Would have been great had he kept playing)
Peter Gourlay (A great player in his day)
Bob Boyles (A good player in the 70's)
Ted Tylutki (A solid contributor for a long time)
And of course there's your walk-up starts in Ashley Riley and Matthew Riley who's records speak for themselves.

Well firstly guys can none of you agree on the most memorable Rachuig ever and that was1985 ADELAIDE WHEN U LOT WON

One name that has never been mentioned would have to be Simon Gourlay was a very good player another one lost once leaving the junior ranks.

Also new how to party hard.

From what I have heard from current Sandgroper and ex Tasmanian Daryl Gould, Alan Coleman was one of your best if not the best.

Rodney Radcliffe was Tassies leading Rachuig bowler for years

Hopefully one day Western Australia will accomplish the one thing you have and that is the elusive Walter Rachuig Trophy

GIDDY UP!!!

PS. I heard the names Aaron Davis and Jason Commane, wow blast from the past are either of them still bowling??

Your certainly correct there Scoops our finest hour was the 1985 Rachuig win, Adelaide was it, oh ok.
Rod Radcliffe still bowls at Moonah had retired for almost 10-years and came back to bowling this year - he says the present state of Moonah makes him want to retire again.
Simon Gourlay - now theres a bloke I've sunk some piss with over the years
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
- he gave it away for many years and came back mid-'96 but gave it away about two years later, was a member of the infamous X-Files team in Sponsors League at Moonah Bowl which had many of the "oldies" in a big hissy-fit and eventually the team was virtually kicked out, I dunno...having too much fun at bowling...what's the world coming too
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously tho, he's a champion bloke.
Aaron Davis hardly bowls at all nor does Jason Commane these days, last seen bowling Centre League on Thursday nights at Moonah a couple of years ago.
Hope that answer a few questions for you.

~~~~~~~~~~Oh Were From Tigerland~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, missed one of our regular youth/junior travellers off the list.

Kassey Fechner.

Sorry again Kace, my shout tomorrow night.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Sheesh, you're lucky you got here before me Brett! I can't believe you forgot me! :p Haha.

I will keep you to that promise too, don't worry!!
icon_wink.gif

ok just so people know, and as far as i am aware simon goulay hasnt given up bowling again he isnt bowling because he snapped the achillie's tendon in his leg and is still recovering from that.we dont know yet if he is to return, lets hope that he is

Hi Matt, (southern tiger)

Just wanted to update you on a few things in your posts.

I realise that you have not been in touch with Tasmanian bowling on a state or national level for a while so you would not be aware of some results.

802 is not the second highest sanctioned series in Tasmania.
Ashley Riley has bowled 3 x 800's with a high of 837.
Matt Riley has bowled 2 x 800's with a high of 832.

Although as you said there is not as many tournaments in the state as thier used to be, however our participation in mainland events is the highest it has ever been.

Ashley and Matt compete in nearly all major tournaments and Hayden George, Mark Foster, Scott Summers and Steve Smith have competed in various events this year.

At the youth / junior level, Rebecca Salter, Trent Pearce, Tim Bessell, Sara Hyland, Jackie Crick, Emma Tubb and Amy Huxley have all travelled this year.

We also had more bowlers in National training squads this year than any previous year.
2 adult squad members and 3 youth squad members.

So as you can see Tassie bowling is quite active and going in the right direction for the future.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

My first Rachuig was in Tassie..the dawn of 1970,s..so the place holds a special something for me..when the Coachman style suit was big deal..ask Eric Miles..then in 85, when they won..i was in the QLD side that played them in the last game..everyone wanted them to win..except VIC..who were up their clacker.
Never seen such a bunch off nervous energy as that game..i kept telling Rod Ratcliffe to relax,and as is the case always ,we were throwing the ball down,not straining ,and getting strikes from everywhere..and Tassie were sticking pins left right and centre,and heart failures in between..luckily their lead was enough..we were too busy slagging VIC. two lanes away.
John Sullivan and i were having 2 minute slanging conversations on the approach each time our turn came up.Then had a beer or ten later.
Geoff Vince had played a bizullion times for Tassie..except this one..no justice.
Ive always looked at Tassie as a team state,and if i had to look over the past,the David Boone of bowling,is Ashley Riley.
The joe cool a la Joe Velo was Alex in the 70,s.You needed a clutch strike..he was THE man.
Alan Coleman ,i always thought was Ken Birds(QLD) brother,but tougher,and fiercer.The more the pressure and the noise,the more he could rise to the occassion.I saw him win the Masters,i could see it in his eyes,as the stages progressed.
Danny , Cricky ,and Geoff Vince were the team men...always the backbone of Tassie.
Great team spirit,lots of passion.A win against them...not guaranteed ever.
Rod Ratcliffe was the enigma,we were almost neighbours in QLD,practised togather and golfing partner..we swore alot.a ready made FUBAR..and he could roll..hot and cold..when he was hot he was as hot as anyone..thats what gives him special notice.
Well Ruth may query her Tassie heritage,but Pam Pope epitimises female tassie success.
The Dale Gray of Tassie.10-12lb ball,usually the ugliest colour,plink ,plonk ,plank...strike.Next victim please.Cant say a word..won so many things.
Only time will tell when Ash gets a successor...but the mantle is his.

Back
Top Bottom