The day the game changed for ever

John, you didn't mention the synthetics the 100 metre runners are USING, their is only 1 runner in the last 10-15 years who has held the World Record who hasn't been caught using performance enhansing Drugs and that is the Current Champion, maybe they won't catch him.

willey

Our drugs come from the pro shop. If you ate some 'roids that gave you a reactive ball's boost, your muscles would explode. Reactive resin is our drug of choice for free friction. Self-tipping cores are the drug for a poor release.

I measure a lot of PAP's and I see a dominant trend in the higher average house bowlers. They nearly all track over or at least hard against the thumb and even finger holes. That used to be a straight ball or a hilarious "thud-thud-thud-thud-splat" sounding pathetic roll and (lack of) impact. Today, it's bowler of the year.

Ahem, ill say AGAIN, REQUIRED READING FOR ALL YOUTH BOWLERS, christ almighty!!

Aahhh... I love a sunburnt country! Nothing so dinki-di as the sound of my old man's voice saying those beautiful words! Looking forward to seeing him at Christmas now. Thanks Adrian! :)

This argument predates resin balls by a long way.
There have been several paradigm shifts in bowling over the decades, and each time there were people bemoaning the loss of the 'good old days'. Whether it be the transition from the 'real mans' balls to wimps who added a couple of grip holes, wood to rubber to plastic to urethane, shellac to lacquer to urethane to synthetic. Every single change made careers of those who were suited to the new fangled gear or destroyed those who couldn't adapt.
I am no great fan of the power of modern balls. However, I also believe that the modern trend towards easy conditions is having far greater effect on scores than the equipment. There is no easy or practical solution to that 'problem', unfortunately, and winding the clock back on the balls without removing the ditches will simply polarise the game to the power players. I honestly believe that the single biggest problem the sport faces is the lack of knowledge in the general bowling community that gives rise to the assumption that a 220 average on a house pattern is the same as a 220 average on a PBA shot.
One thing I would like to see - and something I think would be very good for the SPORT - would be a nationwide 'Sport Pattern Week', where ideally ever centre in Australia would lay a sport pattern for one week. Done properly this could spin off to fundraising opportunities for the National or State teams, coaching opportunities, and raise the awareness of how difficult the game is at the top level, and how much difference the oil pattern does make.

We cannot go back. It is as simple as that, and everyone pining for the 'good old days' needs to remember that those 'good old days' were for a lot of even older bowlers those 'easy new conditions'.

I think you're on the right track Rob. But the shift from league cheat shot to tough-as-nails sport pattern is just cruel. i notice that Kegel has released two new patterns, "Bourbon Street" and "Stone Street" in the medium-easy range (about 7 or 8:1, I think) that would make an excellent step-up from the "lotsa-room-right" 11:1 jokes we see about the place. Still easy, but a transition all but those bind by choice could swallow.

But you're right. Without the ditches, the super-balls sure can get super ugly.

Back
Top Bottom