TBAQ and Organisation

I guess it's time for my 5 cts. First of all, a massive THANK YOU to Gina for all the time and effort she's been putting into the youth roll-offs/team! If there's anything that can still be done to help please let me know.
I (planning a trip oversees and not wanting it to clash) started calling TBAQ about the roll-offs around April. It was then a discussion point for the next meeting. That meeting didn't produce any answers and the roll-offs were likely be discussed in the following meeting. The only information I could get by the end of May (when I had to finalise my travel) was that the dates will be set for sometime "later in the year".
How TBAQ works (and TBA for that matter) is a mystery to me. To most bowlers, parents & other 'regular folks' I should think. I have often thought that more transparency would be beneficial. The answers I got to some of my questions in the past, even though corrct and seemingly answering my questions, did not carry any invitation to ask any further questions.
Would it be a good idea for the official bodies of our sport to publish a "this is how we do things and this is how you can get involved" manual? And then, kindly on Totalbowling - the information sent to centres doesn't seem to reach many of us.
As for the QTBA website, I might be terribly blond but I find it very difficult to find any concrete practical information there. As for the AGM, I can't say the rules are an invitation for participation. It states: "1.4. At any Annual General Meeting of this Association, any person being a TBA member in good standing may be permitted, with the approval of the Chairman, to attend such Meeting as an observer and such person shall not be permitted to speak at such Meeting without the permission of the Chairman and such person shall not be permitted to move, second or vote on any motion put before such Meeting."
If I was to make the effort, and I would, (5 hour drive etc.) it will be based on wanting to be involved and make a contribution, not on being kindly allowed to observe.
A by the way question: why do parents have to be TBA members in order to be able to be involved, contribute or even attend a meeting?
As for the youth sub-committee: if I read the by-laws correctly, the sub-committee would/should have been nominated and elected in the March AGM. I'm wondering why I wasn't reffered to the committee when I made my inquiries in April-May.

Thank you for your interest.
If you are genuinely serious about wanting to help the Sport you might wish to consider investing $11 in a membership.

Fair enough, even though there isn't necessarily a direct relation between the investment and helping the sport. When I donate to a charity I always check how my donation is being spent; you'd be surprised... 70% going to overhead isn't a rarity. But, back to the questions at hand, thanks to relating to my by the way question but could you kindly relate to the rest of what I wrote? I am genuinely serious and would really appriciate your reaction.

OK I'll try.
The office is aware of your queries regarding the dates of the roll-off.

If they had received the information you would have been told there and then. However part of the problem was from the National body not handing down the date of the competition proper until very late in the piece.

I understand TBAQ and TBA being a mystery to you.
TBAQ doesn't actually have any people members. (The members of TBAQ are the Queensland Associations.)
Information is sent out to those Associations who in turn pass it on to their members.

TBA deals mainly with the State offices or else uses its own website to impart information.

Regarding the TBAQ State AGM yes you do have to be a member to gain admittance even as an observer. Having said that though, you have made an assumption that you may not be able to speak because you are an observer.
That was quite wrong because the Chairman who is the President is generous in the extreme regarding allowing people to speak.
So you see its not the rules, its how they're policed.

Plus these days, following the meeting proper, there is an open forum where any member regardless of status can introduce any business he or she wishes.

Your last questions are easy.
Parents have to become members if they wish to do anything other than lend a hand. If they want to join a Committee or attend meetings of Committees they should take out membership. There are certain responsibilities that Committee members and even helpers have to undertake and if they are not members they dont have to abide by any official rules.

Regarding the SQ Youth Committee, had we received any nominations at the March meeting it would have been easy for us to conduct an election, however 1 person is not enough to form even a small committee which wouldn't have had a quorum anyway.

Why not give serious consideration to joining your local Association?
Membership of your local Association will give you all this information and more.
You don't have to be a bowler, there are thousands of Members of all Sports who dont actually participate in live competition, especially in the Junior and Youth ranks. It would be hard to even operate without these non playing members many of whom join initially to help progress a family member and end up staying on because they so enjoy the involvement.

Back
Top Bottom