Taping the thumb

M

MarkV

I have recently seen a couple of bowlers who tape their thumbs. Whats the scoop on this caper?

most peopel usually tape their thumbs up before bowling as a safety precaution so they don't trash their thumbs. cause if they have problems with tearing their thumbs open they tape ti so that the tape is the first thing to go then the skin if it gets that bad.

Yeah i have had the painful experience a couple of times...it isnt fun. It took me 2 months to heal up the one under my thumb that i opened up in March. It still isnt perfect but it is much better. So yeah....if you can avoid opening up ur thumb...do it because it is a real bad problem if you allow it to split open like i had happen.

THUMB TAPE

taping the thumb is widespread in asia, there is a big market for tape products over there - its an extension of using skin patch

if your thumb pitch/span/release etc is basically correct you don't need to use protection tape during normal amounts of bowling as your thumb should not get damaged

if you suffer from thumb problems get your piches/span checked along with your ball release action

Myself, Cara, Maxine Nable, Brandon Qual and countless others use a HI-LATEX tape from China. About 80% of all decent bowlers in Asia swear by it also.

It serves 2 purposes: 1) Ensure that the feel in the thumb hole is exactley the same and is not effected by dirt, sweat, moisture, perpsperation etc. ensuring almost total consistancy.

2) It allows the bowler to exit the ball very quickly which means the ability to drill thumb holes tighter which means a more relaxed swing and free-er motion.

The tape costs about $25 or so for a roll and is available at Brandos pro shop and a few other places around the country. There is a few ways of putting it on depending on personal preferences, most people putting a 1/2inch strip on the top of the thumb from the nail to the base of the thumb (this is the part of the thumb that rubs against the ball on release).

I swear by it and probably would struggle to bowl with out it. It is a special sort of tape though, make sure you get the right one! Similar ones from chemists just dont cut it.

Yeah thanks for that George you and Brando were the ones I was referring to. I will have to get up there and see him.

i've got two questions?

how the heck do you tape it on properly, and is it suppose to go around the knuckle (that's waht my coach did at the junior nationals restricted cup at bankstown 2001, plus that blew my 70 pin lead not a happy chappy)

From the few people i know who do it, they tape the inside of the thumb. On the top, across the knuckle.

I personally tape it like this.....

Look at your thumb palm down. I put a longer strip from the inside of thumb (between the index finger and thumb) around the my thumb to the other side. This covers both sides to my thumb and leaves the bottom of the thumb untouched (thumb print still visable). I then a put a small strip from my nail to the bottom knuckle on my thumb to cover the back. Some people just put a strip on the back from the nail to the knuckle, its up to you.

If you put it on incorreclty you can drop every ball you try to release! Trust me on that one

Do you find it maintains a constant feel out of the ball george? how about grip, any advantage over the urethane or acrylic surface of a slug?

Levithian

Its as about consistant as it gets. I use only TURBO 2-n-1 grips and slugs. The slugs are urethane and I prefer them like glass inside (smooth). I have a pretty snug fit, the tape allows me to exit the ball very quickly.

G

I used to tape my thumb as well but I have changed my hand position so there is no need for the tape. When I did used tape I applied the tape to cover the left side of the thumb across to the top and it goes long until the 2nd knuckle (end of the 2nd bone joint). I used to get the blister around the 1st knuckle on the left. Taping it also helps by removing the need to keep thinking about if you're going to get a blister or not when you bowl many games.

The only hassle with tape is that it takes time to apply it on while others might already be practicing !!

Vi

GeorgeF said:
Levithian

Its as about consistant as it gets. I use only TURBO 2-n-1 grips and slugs. The slugs are urethane and I prefer them like glass inside (smooth). I have a pretty snug fit, the tape allows me to exit the ball very quickly.

G

Yeah same here, ive played around with other tape sort of solutions (black stuff, white stuff, velcro, clear, cork) and the only thing i have found that gave me some decent grip was the white textured stuff. I like my thumb as tight as possible too, but ive had a few problems with it hanging up on release. Might grab some and give it a try once i get my gear redrilled.