simple but annoying problem

C

Craiggles

I wonder if you guys could perhaps give me some advice on something that is really a fundmental thing but something I cannot fix. Being a right-hander, you're supposed to bowl off your left foot, but I always end up bowling off the right foot. I've tried to change this for the better, but nothing seems to work. Starting with the other foot seems to get me nowhere. There's nothing wrong with the scores I get off my right foot, but I'd like to change this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
icon_biggrin.gif

Take a step back from where you start on the lane and add a step so instead of 4 steps try 5. All it takes is a bit of practice and once you get used to it you will be able to do it without realizing it. Your game may slide a bti until you get used to it but thats they only thing I can suggest.

The most common approach is a four step approach.... which for a right hander to achieve, they would have to start on their right foot??? Correct me if I am wrong!!
icon_confused.gif

I don't see the problem here. If you want a 5 step approach, start with your left foot a bit further back on the approach like Tam suggested.

Both approaches are often used and I don't understand the problem!!!

Straight as twisties....

I do the same thing as you, yet I don't call it a problem, I bowl right handed and finish on my right foot as well.

I do the because of a handicap (disability) I got when I was very young, I too when I first started bowling tried to alter the way my feet when, but I in the ennd gave up on working on my feet and started working on the things I could fix such as timing etc.

Anyone who knows me and has watched me bowl knows that my balance isnt perfect, but I make up in flaws with my will power and determination, I was considering giving up bowling at the end of last year if I didnt achieve the one goal I REALLY WANTED, that was to be in the Central New South Wales Presidents Sheild Team.

I made the state team (CNSW) this year, in a very tight situation because true ability and grit got me over the line (lets not mention the 6-7-10 spare) and I say to you dont look as it as a problem, if you score well sliding on your right foot, then dont stop. You can also get very good at bowling on the 'wrong foot'

Dont give up, dont fight it, just go with it, and bowl as well you can!

Goodluck!!!

hey, ever heard of the One Step drill? well do that for a while every time you train, and force your left leg to come out instead of the right. Also, I had a problem with my arm swing being too stiff, so i forced the ball down the lane. Solution, stand in front of a mirror and practice. The motion gets stuck in your head and it just becomes a natural motion (when i get it to work) Thats the easiest way to change it. Also it doesnt matter how many steps you do, 2, 3, 4, or 5 steps, you can still put your left leg out. I suppose you know the reason for having the opposite leg out? well, its so your arm doesnt hit your leg on the way through.

I hope this answers your question and you can change to how you want it so cya

The most successful bowler of the late 60's to mmid 70's was Joe Velo from Wollongong who like you bowled off the "wrong" foot.

He was the first player to bowl a 300 outside the USA at Corrimal in (I think 1962) and represented Australia in the world Cup, he won many, many tournaments and was an extremely accurate player and very tough.

Another "wrong" foot player was Lou Campi, a native of Chicago, who in the 1950's won something like 14 straight TV matches on "Championship Bowling". You will also find his name in the American Bowling Congress Hall of Fame.

My point?

If it works, dont change it, and if It doesnt work, it can.

Back
Top Bottom