Senior World Cup?? Would it be possible.

twenban

With the growing number of Senior bowlers how could we go about getting a
Senior World Cup started. The sport is missing out on a very big demographic
with not having a Senior section with an ageing population with disposable income. The benefits to the sport with be substantial both financial and publicity wise.
The US and Europe have Senior tours plus the Asian zone have their championships. Who would one need to talk to??

Terry,
I had a conversation about 2 years ago with a personal friend who works for a leading international Ball company about trying to get this off the ground. At that stage, they showed luke warm interest. This was mainly due to the fact that while seniors are strong in place like Oz and the USA, many of the asian countries except Japan do not have the interest.
This theory was backed up by looking at the amount of major asian countries missing from Asian seniors champs and bowlers numbers at seniors divisons of the ABF events.

It was also suggested if it was to get off the ground the first two years would need to be hosted in Japan and Korea to at least try and get it off the ground.

If your interested in trying to kick it off again PM me and I will give you my contact.

Hi Grant,
I haven't forgotten this just been busy moving and finding employment on the Gold Coast. The other day I was on the WTBA web site checking out some patterns and noticed a contact so I emailed off for the hell of it, I have never been none to be very process orientated and below is the reply I received which is very promising.

I will bring this up with the TBA, hopefully Cara, and see what can be done this September to start a World Senior. I really feel that this will make a few people in their 40's stay in the game abd bring back some that have already stopped. I see it as a great boost to the game.

"There was some discussion of this subject within the last thirty days; a group wants to start the world senior championships, possibly held in Las Vegas this year. At this point it cannot be labelled an official WTBA championships, as those are limited to what is specified in our statutes. However, I agree that there is an opportunity for an official senior championship, or perhaps even a senior tour. I also have received an inquiry about that possibility from a European senior event. Our statutes can only be changed by the WTBA Congress. The next Congress is in September of this year in Hong Kong. Might I suggest you discuss this with the Australian Tenpin federation? If they agree they can propose legislation. At this moment we have several significant projects that are priority items, most significantly the World Bowling Tour. It's very important that we develop fully the WBT (2011 is the first year). It may be another year before we could spend significant resources on the seniors concept, but legislation must be in place first.
Kevin Dornberger"

Back
Top Bottom