Scoring Systems

I'm wondering how many scoring system are around

Most Leagues Ive bowled in use a 90% of 200 or similar

I recently learned that some of the Junior Leagues use a regressive system

There is also a progressive system and a Peterson System (or variations of)

How many more are around??

And how do they work

Scratch Singles league at Campbelltown uses Peterson Points. From memory, you get 1 peterson point, for every 50 pins you knock over....

I bowl ina hcp league that just dropped the hcp % from 80% of 200, to 80% of 200

We have a league at Taree which uses Peterson points, but we have made it interesting by using 100% handicap.

This is a most pertinent question at this time. TBA rules suggest: "RULE 333 HANDICAP - (Unless covered by a Leagues own Rules)
The handicap allowance shall be 80 percent and shall be figured on the difference between each individuals
average and 200 scratch."

This might have been fine when AMF Black Angles were released but not now with the burgeoning scores. On the basis of this suggestion, a bowler with a 160 average receives 32 handicap, average + handicap = 192. If a bowler in the league has, say a 225 average the first bowler gives the second 33 pins start before they walk on the lanes.

By comparison, USBC league rules state: "Handicaps
Handicapping is a means of placing bowlers and teams with varying degree of skill on as equitable a basis as possible for their competition against each other. USBC recommends that higher handicap percentages such as 100% be used for more equalized matches. The scratch base that handicap is figured from should be greater than the highest team or individual entering average. For example, if the highest entering individual average is 218, handicap should be 100% of 220.
Another option is to provide a negative handicap for all bowlers with an average above the base figure. For example, 100% handicap of 200, average is 220 bowler receives -20 handicap."

A far more realistic approach.

Unfortunately here in Newcastle, there really aren't any decent scratch leagues to play in, so I bowl a handicap doubles, where we use 80% of 440 team total to a maximum handicap of 75 per team. There is a scratch singles as a side comp to the league which is just straight points win/loss.

And regarding a negative handicap for league, no bloody way would I subject myself to that lol.

Have always wondered why handicap percentages are below 100%.

Why should the better more skilled bowlers get a head start?

Rob

In some cases maybe.

I know lots of people who have improved through practice and I've got no doubt they have earnt the results they have achieved.

Still can not fathom how someone of better skill & more ability may have earned a head start on someone of lesser ability & skill.

Rob

It gives bowlers of less experience and/or skill an incentive to want to try and improve.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but an incentive all the same.

Still can not fathom how someone of better skill & more ability may have earned a head start on someone of lesser ability & skill.

Rob

A higher average bowler will not have a head start against a lower average bowler, no matter what the handicap % is.

If you ave 170, using 80% of 200 for hcp, then you'll have a hcp of around 24 pins. If I average 195, using the same hcp %, i'll have a hcp of 4 pins. How am I getting a head start? I'm still giving you 20 pins before we even bowl a ball...

A higher average bowler will not have a head start against a lower average bowler, no matter what the handicap % is.

If you ave 170, using 80% of 200 for hcp, then you'll have a hcp of around 24 pins. If I average 195, using the same hcp %, i'll have a hcp of 4 pins. How am I getting a head start? I'm still giving you 20 pins before we even bowl a ball...

Based on your assumption above I bowl my 170 ave + 24 hdp =194, you bowl your average 195 + 4 hdp = 199 which means you win thus having the head start. With any system below 100% the lower average bowler must bowl over their average to beat the higher average bowler bowling average.

Handicap is meant to equalize a bowlers chance of winning not disadvantage them from the start.

Rob

From the start they arent being disadvantaged Rob, they have a 20 pin start. There is the 'equaliser'. Its up to them to hold onto the lead and up to the better bowler to not open a frame to fend them off.

At the end of the day the leagues i have bowled in end up having the better performing teams over a season finish at the top, im not sure the system is broken.

BAZ said----"The scratch base that handicap is figured from should be greater than the highest team or individual entering average. For example, if the highest entering individual average is 218, handicap should be 100% of 220.
Another option is to provide a negative handicap for all bowlers with an average above the base figure. For example, 100% handicap of 200, average is 220 bowler receives -20 handicap "

That says it all.
Jim.

I am looking at it from a slightly different perspective I suppose.

All sports that use a handicap sytem that I can think of, if you play to that handicap against an opponent that plays to theirs you come a draw. With all the bowling handicaps besides 100% it is not equal.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Rob

It's not so much the percentage, although 90% to 100% is where it needs to be. It's the base that is important, for example, as cited above:
"Based on your assumption above I bowl my 170 ave + 24 hdp =194, you bowl your average 195 + 4 hdp = 199" If another bowler in the league has an average of 225, even the 195 average bowler give them a 26 pin head start before they walk on the lanes. The base needs to be higher than the highest average in the league.

Back
Top Bottom