Schweppes Bunbury City open Results

Stax

Firstly, let me congratulate Woollie (Jeff) Stevens for putting on a great Schweppes Bunbury City Open. Well done to Woollie and his team who worked tirelessly all weekend, and of course, leading up to the event.

Now onto the tournament.
12 Games qualifying, cut to the top 16.
After the 12 games of qualifying the cut was set at 177 under. This may sound like a low cut, however let me say that the conditions at Bunbury are tough. Plenty of oil, fairly long and just tough. Makes sparing was most important.
Well the Ice-man Steve Hart finished on +179. A very fine effort. 2nd was myself on an unbelievable +80. At the end of the day I thought I must have had the wrong score sheet. Brett Belstead and Russ Mortimer were the only other bowlers over the card.

On to match play, and it was catch Harty if you can. Nobody could. Well done to Steve Hart on a well deserved win. To Russ Mortimer on a very fine second and Mike Muir for this third place.
As for high games, there was not that many. Only 3 Games over 260.
Tournament High Game. 279 ME, (Had to get that in)
Qualifying High Block 498 ME (Had to get that in too)
Tony Brough and John Morss were the other games, both 266.
Others in the Cut in order of final standings,
4th to 16th Alan West, Brett Belstead, Luiz Pareira, Tom Kury, Tony Brough, John Morss, Stax Stevens, Steve Wimbridge, Vince Pearson, Steve Johnstone, Stuart Shirra, Steve Hone and Kim Elliott.
To the rest of the field I hope you all come back next year.
I'll be back.

Stax

Edit..
Just got the offical score sheet,
It was Vince Pearson who bowled the other 260+ with a 264.

1. Steve Hart.....................5634..............205
2. Russ Mortimer...............5587..............203
3. Mike Muir.......................5578..............203
4. Alan West......................5473.............199
5. Brett Belstead...............5410..............197
6. Luiz Pareira...................5405..............196
7. Tom Kury.......................5386............. 196
8. Tony Brough..................5329..............193
9. John Morss....................5322..............194
10.Stax Stevens.................5312..............195
11.Steve Wimbridge...........5289..............192
12.Vince Pearson................5241.............191
13.Steve Johnstone............5029.............184
14.Stuart Shirra..................5004.............183
15.Stephen Hone................4901.............179
16.Kim Elliott.......................Withdrew after 8 games.

Stax

Thanks Stax for keeping everyone so well informed.
Sounds as though a great weekend was had by all & well bowled Stax..................will the legs recover in time for next weekend?

Congrats Steve Hart from everyone here at Fairlanes -

A couple of names in the Cut not in our field - Come on Stuart - it would be great to see you back in "The Cup" & 2 Steve's that featured, Hone & Wimbridge - where are you!!

Sue

schweppes open

Well the ballmiester was a spectator again on Sunday for the 3rd year running but still had a ball (no pun intended) Harty once again seemed at home on the Bunbury minefield and was never headed but was definately threatened at stages. Russ Mortimer and MM certainly kept him honest but Harty held on to capture his 3rd title. Could even be 4, not sure. Unfortunately a very poor turnout with the bulk of the 31 players coming from Perth so it would be nice to see a few more locals support their centre and make life a bit easier for poor ol' Wooly next year. Geoff did what he could with the prize fund and kept the top few places worth playing for. Stax was the surprise package of the weekend and I wonder how he pulled up on Monday morning. Not too many highlights for the weekend to mention with Stax having high game of 279 and there was a couple 260+ games but with -173 making the cut it easy to see just how tough the condition was. King Fubar the only book of shame entry with a 5,7,10 which was surprising. Bowled crap but had a few laughs as well so I will heading back next year. Baron

Stax, after speaking to clinton, he told me that they oiled to 18ft!, so im not sure i understand how they could be oily!, but i could be wrong, it has happened before :p

Mark Foster

I think they double oiled to 18 and buffed to 35.
Baron
I did not pull up too smart on Sunday after bowling, and even worse on Monday morning. Took me 10 minutes to get off the bog. And somebody reckons I'm getting old.
Stax

Back
Top Bottom