Save Bowling from Easy Lane Conditions

Hey Sam,

Firstly I think the points made in the videos are very valid. For sure, I like to bowl on a sport pattern for a better idea of my true ability, not my league ability. A good example of that in the Illawarra would be to go and throw some practice games at Shellharbour Bowl. Much tougher condition than Strike Zone, the corner pins there are tough to move. So you have to think about your shot to score well. Easily 20 pins difference per game and only if you can spare. Other wise 40 pins per game difference.

The debate you will face I believe is that it is funny that these “save bowling” videos were made by Hammer who is one of the very companies that made some of the first, dare I say " cheater balls" that ultimately lead to the lane conditions of today.

Are Hammer saying that moving forward they are only going to make a weaker ball?

Looking forward to this one Sam.

I think it has already been discussed on here about tiered conditions but this was with respect to 300 games. It would be good if this system could be adapted to league bowling as well. We all know that there are those out there who like to "manage" their averages for handicapped events and maybe this system might reduce the occurances of this.

As for sports patterns for league, I don't think we need to go to that extreme. Something maybe like a Kegel navigation challenge series pattern or even patterns around 6-7:1 ratio.

Changing the pattern is only half the battle... Getting proprietors to change is the other battle. I asked our manager a few weeks ago if he would consider changing the oil pattern and his response was "If it's not broken, I'm not fixing it". I don't consider our pattern easy, but by no means is it hard (If that makes any sense) It is very similar to KEGEL - Bowling Solutions / Pattern Library: Recreation Patterns, Challenge Patterns, Sport Patterns, Lane Machines, Lane Conditioners, Lane Types

Just watched the Bill O'Neill interview and I would recommend everyone to watch it and listen to what he is saying coz it all is a true reflection of our game at the moment.

I don't know what the answer is but least they are putting it out there.

Tough sport patterns are not the answer, they just make it harder to hit the pocket, IMO, and I have made mention before, we can scale back the ratios to stop them from being too easy, manufacturers can tone down their next strike in a box projects a little, but the one thing that hasn't really changed is the weight of the pins.

Just ask anyone that bowls in a centre where the configurations of the pin deck decrease carry unless solid in the pocket, it doesn't matter what strike in a box you use or how easy the lanes are prepped. I believe there is a big difference between area on the lane and area in the pocket.

I thoroughly agree Michael, you could go back to solid pins and lower the gutters and that will stop anyone swishing the pins around and then you coudl leave every thing else the way it is and the scores would drop considerably. Just think what you would score if you only every struck solid in the pocket, no light carries and no swishing 5 pins.

The only problem I see with changing the pins by weight, centre of gravity ect... Is that it's going to hurt the young and female bowlers more than it will the men.

Because they don't have the strength, or rotation that a lot of male bowlers have, they're going to be harder to knock down than for the guys that have some hand.

The USBC have already throttled back the ball a little, by changing the maximum RG Diff, from .080 to .060, and by limiting the porosity of the covers. Made no freakin difference, because all the chemists at the ball manufacturers discovered new chemicals that did the same thing and more.

The oil patterns are the easiest and most cost effective way of changing the game. Get rid of the squeeky clean backends, and reactives lose their power. Get rid of the machines that measure that oil amount used to the microlitre, and you add another variable.

There is no easy solution... but the playing field is the easiest.

Maybe the conditions could be renamed to reflect the skill levels needed to bowl on the condition. For example Easy street could be classified as a beginners condition, and sports conditions classified as an experienced/good players condtion. Then something in the middle as a development type of condition.

... it is funny that these “save bowling” videos were made by Hammer who is one of the very companies that made some of the first, dare I say " cheater balls" that ultimately lead to the lane conditions of today...
I've seen this pop up a bit lately, maybe it should be kudos to faball for initially recognising that the market wanted 'cheater' equipment, now kudos again for realising the market wants 'realistic' equipment.

Whatever their motivations, mistakes of the past, or goals of the future, I guess we can only hope they are serious about it.

Just in response to Micks comment on pins, I remember many years ago Rob Zikman loaded a pair in Tuggeranong with new trial pins that ultimately got ditched. As far as I'm aware the only difference was that they were 100% synthetic, but they totally removed the pinaction component of scoring. The pins fell over, or flew off the back, or flew off the side, but with the loose curtain at the back that was it. You couldn't hit the pin off the wall and back across the deck. They didn't fly around. If you hit the correct pocket at the correct angle and all of the pins hit each other you got your strike, but if you left it up to the tickle from the gutters you had lots of corner pins. I'd never seen so many 7-10s...

Tough sport patterns are not the answer, they just make it harder to hit the pocket, IMO, and I have made mention before, we can scale back the ratios to stop them from being too easy, manufacturers can tone down their next strike in a box projects a little, but the one thing that hasn't really changed is the weight of the pins.

Just ask anyone that bowls in a centre where the configurations of the pin deck decrease carry unless solid in the pocket, it doesn't matter what strike in a box you use or how easy the lanes are prepped. I believe there is a big difference between area on the lane and area in the pocket.
Serious Question. I obviously haven't been awake, and following changes as they happened. I take it that pins are not the simple, solid wood things weighing around 3 1/2 Lb that they were in the early years of bowling, here in Aus ?
Those with the knowledge - please enlighten me.

031480367.jpg

408250995_992.JPG

I'll stop bowling when I average 300 for a season. Until then, I still have work to do.

Bigsy !!!

Hey Sam,

Firstly I think the points made in the videos are very valid. For sure, I like to bowl on a sport pattern for a better idea of my true ability, not my league ability. A good example of that in the Illawarra would be to go and throw some practice games at Shellharbour Bowl. Much tougher condition than Strike Zone, the corner pins there are tough to move. So you have to think about your shot to score well. Easily 20 pins difference per game and only if you can spare. Other wise 40 pins per game difference.

The debate you will face I believe is that it is funny that these “save bowling” videos were made by Hammer who is one of the very companies that made some of the first, dare I say " cheater balls" that ultimately lead to the lane conditions of today.

Are Hammer saying that moving forward they are only going to make a weaker ball?

Looking forward to this one Sam.

Yes it is true that Shellharbour Bowl even though being an easy shot the lack of hold in the middle, deep gutters and older pins make the scores drop quite a bit, making it much more of a challenge than bowling out at 300zone -.-
The majority of bowlers there will not go to bowl a league at Shellharbour because of these factors, and that they prefer to be big fish in a little pond.

Even though they were one of the first companies to bring out the stronger balls I don't think Hammer are the reason why the conditions we have today are so easy, because isn't that the lane maintenance crew's job in the centre?

The biggest problem for this sport sadly is if the easy shot is taken away we lose bowlers because the only thing they're interested in is shooting a score.

Hey Jim, All the pin manufacturers like to crow about how their brand flies better. It's not just cheater balls and cheater lanes.

Changing pin brands at Tuggeranong and making the edge of the pattern absolutely dry gave them 13+ 300's this year. Increased friction = lower deflection, but the new pins certainly upped the carry rate. I suspect that the old ones were just worn out in terms of resilience (or coefficient of restitution if we want to get physical). Pins also use voids to control weight and if you put those voids lower, then you can tweak the topple angle to the minimum (6° or 9°, I can't remember). You can probably make the locking ring on the base out of something super bouncy and get them to move faster off the spot as well.

But in my experience, nothing beats just putting them on spot correctly and having the gutter depth set right. (Not necessarily minimum from what some proprietors have kindly shared with me over the years.)

Simply get an old urethane ball out and listen to the difference in sound when it hits the pocket compared to a Critical Theory or Raptor and you know the pins aren't the problem. Sadly, pins aren't the seemingly elegant solution they could be either. USBC experimented with heavier pins some years ago. It just made things hopeless for people using lighter balls and made no difference to the physical marvels that are modern bowling balls at full weight.

Reining the house shots in, ever so slowly to a score-able level while respecting the skills of accuracy, repetition and strong ball roll is the best answer IMO. It took us years to get into this mess. It makes sense that it will take years to get out of it. I know of one proprietor who made their house shot a smidge tougher. House bowlers struggled in week 1, got a feel for it in weeks 2-4 and were knocking it dead 3 months later. Now this person is considering making it incrementally tougher again.

Bathurst has a pretty good house shot. It's dead easy, but it's got some volume and all styles of player have a look on it if the player can move their feet and target. I can play it straighter or hook it quite a bit and still have a decent look. It just depends on the day and what's working. (Especially concerning the nut behind the wheel!) Their tournament shot is based on the same principle. It's tougher than the house shot on paper, yet pulls very high scores because it opens up good angles to the pocket from both sides of the lane. I think with a slight volume reduction, it'd make a great house shot, but the locals probably aren't ready for that yet.

Softly, softly is the key. Don't just take the exit from Easy Street to Highway to Hell or everyone's going to get off the bus. There's a few more interesting avenues in the Kegel pattern book that will allow us to bring everyone along on the journey back to greatness. In actuality, I suspect that scores will initially go up if we take this path, as players will get better angles to play. (Providing that the panels aren't glazed outside 10 board in too many houses.) Think of it as a scenic route.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm happy for lanes to be easy. Just not cheating. At least require a player to throw the ball well enough to knock the corners out from their own efforts, rather than building extreme friction into the playing surface. That way we can return some component of athleticism into throwing a bowling ball well enough to string a few strikes together.

Cheers,
Jason

Hey Jim, All the pin manufacturers like to crow about how their brand flies better. It's not just cheater balls and cheater lanes.

Changing pin brands at Tuggeranong and making the edge of the pattern absolutely dry gave them 13+ 300's this year. Increased friction = lower deflection, but the new pins certainly upped the carry rate. I suspect that the old ones were just worn out in terms of resilience (or coefficient of restitution if we want to get physical). Pins also use voids to control weight and if you put those voids lower, then you can tweak the topple angle to the minimum (6° or 9°, I can't remember). You can probably make the locking ring on the base out of something super bouncy and get them to move faster off the spot as well.

But in my experience, nothing beats just putting them on spot correctly and having the gutter depth set right. (Not necessarily minimum from what some proprietors have kindly shared with me over the years.)

Simply get an old urethane ball out and listen to the difference in sound when it hits the pocket compared to a Critical Theory or Raptor and you know the pins aren't the problem. Sadly, pins aren't the seemingly elegant solution they could be either. USBC experimented with heavier pins some years ago. It just made things hopeless for people using lighter balls and made no difference to the physical marvels that are modern bowling balls at full weight.

Reining the house shots in, ever so slowly to a score-able level while respecting the skills of accuracy, repetition and strong ball roll is the best answer IMO. It took us years to get into this mess. It makes sense that it will take years to get out of it. I know of one proprietor who made their house shot a smidge tougher. House bowlers struggled in week 1, got a feel for it in weeks 2-4 and were knocking it dead 3 months later. Now this person is considering making it incrementally tougher again.

Bathurst has a pretty good house shot. It's dead easy, but it's got some volume and all styles of player have a look on it if the player can move their feet and target. I can play it straighter or hook it quite a bit and still have a decent look. It just depends on the day and what's working. (Especially concerning the nut behind the wheel!) Their tournament shot is based on the same principle. It's tougher than the house shot on paper, yet pulls very high scores because it opens up good angles to the pocket from both sides of the lane. I think with a slight volume reduction, it'd make a great house shot, but the locals probably aren't ready for that yet.

Softly, softly is the key. Don't just take the exit from Easy Street to Highway to Hell or everyone's going to get off the bus. There's a few more interesting avenues in the Kegel pattern book that will allow us to bring everyone along on the journey back to greatness. In actuality, I suspect that scores will initially go up if we take this path, as players will get better angles to play. (Providing that the panels aren't glazed outside 10 board in too many houses.) Think of it as a scenic route.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm happy for lanes to be easy. Just not cheating. At least require a player to throw the ball well enough to knock the corners out from their own efforts, rather than building extreme friction into the playing surface. That way we can return some component of athleticism into throwing a bowling ball well enough to string a few strikes together.

Cheers,
Jason

I agree, dialing back the easy lane conditions will help quite a lot and it can't be an overnight process, I should expand further on what I was referring to with changes to the pins, maybe a small adjustment in weight is necessary, I mean they can be within a certain weight range anyway, and with the way pins bounce and deflect now, and the super power balls, how they affect small children and old pensioners shouldn't really matter too much. What I should have said originally was that pins can also be dialled back a bit in terms of technology as Jason has mentioned above and there are obvious ways of changing pin decks, gutters, kickbacks etc that will increase/decrease carry (and ridiculous messengers) as well. You take some of these out of the equation as a form of assistance and you will find in combination with dialling back easy conditions, it will prove a great leveller to a lot of players. Not much point having all the area you want on the lanes if there is no carry from area in the pocket to go with it.

Bring back accuracy in the pocket by taking some of this assistance away and I believe bowlers will soon rediscover the nuisances between different releases, angles, techniques that have somewhere been forgotten about.

Despite the fact that there is now - what is it, just 3 or 4 pin manufacturers around the world [and at least one of those makes rubbish] - with Ebonite's acquisition last year of Diamond D's plant in Mexico [Ebonite shut that facility down and rerouted manufacturing to their US plant - this would be close to a first in recent times for any US manufacturer I would think - exiting Mexico and returning to the mainland] there is some hope that the pin "standard" may change to help with the ease of scoring dilemma. Ebonite is a good company run by people who care a great deal about the sport as well as the industry and business of bowling.

I hope I'm right.

I hope you're right too Steve. I really do.

Michael, I get where you're coming from here. I suspect that most of the "bouncy pin syndrome" that we see is more to do increased entry angles from reactive coverstocks and with years of tinkering with the coefficient of restitution in the bowling balls though. For those who don't know what I'm talking about (and I suspect it'll be a few once we get into ball design esoterics), coefficient of restitution (or COR as it's known in shorthand) represents the transfer of momentum from an object into another and in our case usually relates to the material's properties as if it were impacting with something that had a COR of 1 or perfect transfer. (Ping pong balls come close at 0.94.) To illustrate, a sandbag will reflect almost no energy, whereas a high tension steel cable will reflect a great deal of energy. Golf clubs and golf balls use COR as a fundamental of design, as do tennis racquets.

The first serious attempts at tinkering with this phenomenon in bowling balls was in 1993, 2 years after Dr Nathan produced his "System of Bowling" which among other things, specified the original specifications on bowling ball COR (as well as RG, Diff RG and other physical constraints). SoB came at an unfortunate time. It was developed 1-2 years before reactive resin and the numbers developed in SoB were not revised to accommodate this revolutionary material breakthrough.

Ebonite produced 2 balls called the Crush and the Crush/R (reactive balls were still very new back then.) The Crush was a urethane ball with a maximum COR material between the cover and core. It was truly beautiful to drill and work with and you never needed a thumb slug in this smooth as glass deep red material. The Crush/R was a reactive ball with a yellow material between the cover and core that was at the minimum end of the COR scale. This stuff was so soft, that you basically slugged every Crush/R so that the bowler could let go of it! It would squeeze flat in your hand.

The Crush made an awesome noise when it hit the pocket. It truly rang when it hit the rack. It also rang a LOT of 10-pins because it simply hit them too hard and fast to mix together. The interesting part of the experiment was that the Crush/R, a LOW COR ball carried lots of funny hits, despite not sounding terribly impressive in the pocket. The difference was that the Crush/R was made of the revolutionary reactive resin material, giving bowlers more free hook than they'd ever known before. All this extra angle combined with the pins staying lower, meant that pins hit into each other and bounced back onto the deck more often. The big hits and bounces that were exclusively the domain of the power player had just been handed out to everyone. The Crush/R was the start of the balls we see today. In fact, the balls we see today are much better in terms of carrying the off hits (and don't de-laminate like the Crush or Crush/R did!)

The Ceramicore technology from Columbia were next, giving smooth roll and unprecedented impact. And despite the first specification in the ABC handbook stating that a bowling ball could be made of any non-metallic material, Ti cores were soon to follow. I didn't see too much more "evolution" after this, as I quit bowling in 1994.

Hi Rob,

I think I get it. Momentum can be transferred more readily back into the ball, hence the deflection?

Cheers,
Jason

Yes. Both momentum and energy must be conserved in a collision, so if a ball 'hits hard' transferring a lot of momentum to the pins, the pins transfer an equal amount to the ball. Equal and opposite reaction, etc. The harder a ball hits, the more it deflects - the ridiculous entry angles modern balls create make it less noticable.

Back
Top Bottom