Effects of Axis Rotation on your delivery

John_Velo

H All,

For those of you that are still learning like myself. I have been doing some research in the effects of access rotation on your delivery.

I found this USBC short video on the effect of release rotation: USBC Coaching: Kim Terrell-Kearney on Rotation at Release - YouTube .

This is a great video, only goes for about 60 seconds, it shows that you can make the same ball do different things at different points on the lane.

This is something I am currently working on, the goal is to only need four balls for all conditions.

Four balls today, is the equivalent of one ball back in the 1960's!

I hope you find it useful.

Excellent video John. Thanks for that. Worth noting that the axis rotation changes the length of the change in direction and therefore the angle of entry into the pocket. Always has. It's a fairly advanced technique, but well worth learning, even if a player just develops an extra release to change their reaction and ball path to better suit the lanes or improve carry.

I've made a lot of cuts with this technique allowing me to use the same ball longer to maintain the same feel and reaction shape. Do they have one on tilt? Another good technique!

Hey Jason,

I did some research on the Axis Tilt, no video on the effects and changes. A few articles but no video.

For me I am really loving the new science behind bowling, well, new for me after so many years away. I feel the need to know it all before punching another hole aimlessly into a ball and wondering why the results are not as expected.

Hey Jason,

I did some research on the Axis Tilt, no video on the effects and changes. A few articles but no video.

For me I am really loving the new science behind bowling, well, new for me after so many years away. I feel the need to know it all before punching another hole aimlessly into a ball and wondering why the results are not as expected.
No one knows it all. That's why we keep playing! But what you do on this side of the foul line is the biggest determinant of what happens on the other side. The balls are handy, but they're just like golf clubs. You've gotta know how to use them to get the most out of them and when to bag 'em. Like Kenny Rogers sang "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." (And the next lines are sometimes appropriate too!)

Speaking of which, about time I did my new years not-so-old ball clearance!

John you have made me smile .... you didn't know you can make the same ball do different things by changing the release. It makes four balls into about ten ....

The thing I have noticed these days though is that it is not so important these days. Now you simply follow the oil and maybe a ball change will suffice, the hand change is a lost art these days and doesn't have the effect it had years ago.

I basically have 6 different adjustments I make when I bowl... aside from taking the nails out of my shoes and moving left to follow the oil.

Hand up the back..
Hand around the side..
Loft it more...
Loft it less...
Throw it harder...
Throw it softer...

That's enough for me :)

Hey Terry,

Yes I knew, I sometimes forget though. I must be getting old. This first year has been a blast for me, relearning stuff I have forgotten, learning stuff that was never relevant.

I am always surprised at the people that just reach for another ball. I do the opposite and don't reach when I should.

Most importantly though Terry, I put a smile on your face and Androoo admitted to having nails in his shoes. Can't get better than that.

Goodness Androooo,I had no idea how adjustable I am. I do all those things and didn't think I was being "all modern and up-to-date". Look out now I know how clever I really am !!!! Now all I've got to do is be able to do it for more than three games in a row. WoW !
I basically have 6 different adjustments I make when I bowl... aside from taking the nails out of my shoes and moving left to follow the oil.

Hand up the back..
Hand around the side..
Loft it more...
Loft it less...
Throw it harder...
Throw it softer...

That's enough for me :)

Hey Terry,

Yes I knew, I sometimes forget though. I must be getting old. This first year has been a blast for me, relearning stuff I have forgotten, learning stuff that was never relevant.

I am always surprised at the people that just reach for another ball. I do the opposite and don't reach when I should.

Most importantly though Terry, I put a smile on your face and Androoo admitted to having nails in his shoes. Can't get better than that.

This.

Most of the time im just too excited about throwing my new toy, than using my brain and scoring well. I bowl on wood and the newer aggresive gear doesnt get a show so i have to wait till tournaments before i can use that stuff. I've put that attitude behind me but, planning a big year.

Back on topic, i've been working on getting a good consistant effective release for 12 months now, and the idea of changing my tilt and or rotation mid game/tournament makes me cringe. Its been so hard getting my shot right i would most likely see negative results if i dabbled with that stuff. Might venture into it a bit more once i sort my A game out.

It's also a lot cheaper to make hand adjustments, plus then you don't need to carry a spare ball ... you drop the wrist back and end over end it.

I love John's posts and they do make me smile .....

Not everyone has the skills to make hand changes, I know I can't do it due to wrist problems so personally I go for the Expensive option. I believe this gives me the best of both worlds but with a wider shot selection for most conditions, note that I'm certainly no expert though I try!

Neil,

I can see it already, a full arm device that you dial in Axis tilt and rotation prior to bowling the ball. Just walk to the foul line and point....and yes it will be iPod compatible.

Hey Andy,

I have an old pin action here with the ad for that elbow device. It wasn't just a flop it also made you look like a d!(k...

Neil,

I can see it already, a full arm device that you dial in Axis tilt and rotation prior to bowling the ball. Just walk to the foul line and point....and yes it will be iPod compatible.

Ipod compatable John?

No point, its 2012 now, new rules apply!!! :)

Already been done.It used to lock the elbow in place. It was a big flop.

Hey Andy... since you're one of the "senior" guys around that went to the states, or maybe even Wayne would know, but didn't Jim Stefanich wear something like that when he bowled his TV 300 back in the 70's? Used to lock in place to keep his armswing in line or something. In the video of his 300 on YouTube, you can see him reach under his shirt after each shot.

I think Wayne Webb wore one as well..... Accu-Swing rings a bell. that one used to lock in the backswing to keep your arm straight. His never seemed to work correctly ;) Just worn for endorsement $$$, like everyone wearing Wristmaster's with no supports :D

[video=youtube;5JsYNLLIRFQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JsYNLLIRFQ[/video]
[video=youtube;smhzI_UvaIo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smhzI_UvaIo[/video]

Yes it was Called Accu-Swing they came out in the 80s Ernie Myer was the importer of them in Australia.

Ern Meyer wasn't keen on being called "Ernie." :) One of bowling's very nice people. He once told me wished he'd never told anyone he was a Psychologist. It's a bit like telling them you're a cop. People's behaviour changes. And Psychologists and cops are trained in detecting that stuff!

Ah, the Accuswing. Had a go with one of those a long time ago, (in a galaxy far, far away...) Thankfully I didn't break it!

It's also a lot cheaper to make hand adjustments, plus then you don't need to carry a spare ball ... you drop the wrist back and end over end it.

I love John's posts and they do make me smile .....
Wrist positions don't attract excess baggage charges either!

I use Andrew's set of changes with the added extra of tilt/spin combinations if they're really hooking early or I just want to make the backend straighter.

Back
Top Bottom