Sa Under 23's tournament report.

tonx

Hey guys,

For those of you who are interested in the run down of a great event, plus the gear I used, here is my quick tournament report.

Firstly before going into the tournament, I bowled in Wodonga for an Epping Emerson Shield team the week before and the conditions up there were quite short and dry. After the event and seeing what pattern was to be put up for SA under 23 classic's, so I could train the week before on a couple of longer patterns to get a stronger roll than I needed at Wodonga.

I saw that it was 45ft in a usually long playing centre. While the total volume was not overly high, the centres typical attributes usually take play and the pattern usually plays tight and deep. Spares were the key on this type of play for me, as well as DULL bowling balls. Polished balls are required for much later in the tournament.

I took with me the following balls.
Bounty Hunter (good to clear the heads and create a strong dowlane reaction on oil)
Megafriction (pattern smasher, 500 grit)
Megafriction (2k matte finish)
Clutch (1k plus polish) (Benchmark ball, great ball to grind with)
Sideways (strong pearl, needed if pattern carried down too much)
Break point pearl (lots of length, strong clean backend reaction)
spare ball...

Very limited practise was offered, and 12 games were to be bowled. I used the BH and Mega#1 early to grind until I could work out where I was at. Stuck with the BH through most of the day, and closed with 2 solid games at the end with the Sideways. Sitting in 2nd place after qualifying.

Matchplay was another 10 games of 3 man teams. Key for me was make sure of Spares. Conditions were a little different than day 1, with opening with the BH was not the right move. Switched to the Clutch and finished strong to be top television seed.

During the long wait before my final match, I tried to keep loose and stretched, and I had the benefit of the practise pair before the final. I slow rolled every 10 minutes or so with the Clutch the ball that was to be the trusted ball in the final. I experimented and found I had a more aggressive snap to the pocket with the Break Point Pearl (the tournament ball I used at the Emerson roll-off) I could also decide to grind on the television pair with the Clutch, because the conditions were getting over-under.

Clutch I knew wouldn't hit as hard, but would be easier to get to the pocket, leaving me 9/ when I missed a little inside, but still allow me to carry with great shots.

2 shots each lane comming into the final, I threw the Clutch and BPP one shot on each lane. I decided to start with the BPP, to get me out to an early few strikes with good shots. I made good shots and then a couple of shots became tighter off the break point so I switched to the Clutch.

The conditions were obviously getting hard out there with 27 games before we got to the Title Match, and I knew that a grinding match might be a good way to play against a tiring Matt Watson. The Clutch really did come through in the Clutch situation :))) with me winning the final by 29 pins. 648 to 617.

Matt bowled great all weekend. He made some impressive spares, and struck in the last few games to just get into the final. Then had to bowl 5 matches before me, including against his own Brother. Thanks for the first class show of bowling, because it made me push harder to stay in front! Well done.

I'd like to thank Absolute Bowling Supplies and Oztenpin bowling centres for their assistance in helping me win the 2009 Sa Under 23 classic. Without your support I couldn't be there.

Next stop is Bendigo Sports Series event in 2 weeks time! Work on your spares I believe, because this pattern is a tough one!

Thanks for reading!

Back
Top Bottom