revivor oven or ebonitehook again

Mark L

Ok guys would like to know everyone's point of view of baking or hook again powder.
Now there is facts for both sides ebonite says using the oven is bad and wrong is what it states on brandos web site, but if you look at brunswick they swear by baking in a revivor.
I think baking is the way to go but thats my only my thoughts after reading both views.
How can to companies have two different views or is just ebonite balls that should not be baked?
Morich is another company that is all for baking in a revivor.
So lets hear your thoughts so we can make a decision on this.

If it was the best the bowling ball companies would have stated that so I dont think it is.
I know it works but if it was the best way I'm sure the they would have made a bath for the balls not powder and a oven.

If it was the best the bowling ball companies would have stated that so I dont think it is.
I know it works but if it was the best way I'm sure the they would have made a bath for the balls not powder and a oven.

If you personally know someone in a ball company who will give you an honest answer, you will find a lot of them will privately say the bath.......

Why would someone make a 'bath' when a bucket is all that is needed?

Why do they make powder and ovens? Because they make lots of money out of them..........

I have personally done the hot water treatment for dozens of our customers, every ball regained it's characteristics - every customer was rapt & and it cost me 10 cents per ball to do - the price of a decent squirt of dishwashing liquid.

Max

Interesting where does brunswick and morich make there money from a oven they dont make the oven. But brunswick did the test and endorse the product, I can see your point with the powder, but the oven you can use your own at home if the temp can go below 140 Fahrenheit. Most ovens cannot go this low and they need to be fan forced.
I am not saying bathing a ball is not good I want to know everyone view on the oven or powder.
so let here some other views instead of mine.

Hot water bath is essentially a wet oven method.
Advantages over oven method:

- don't have to wipe ball down;
- no chance of overheating ball;
- water ensures even heating of ball;
- resin/oil does not get a chance to reabsorb into ball;
- basically free.

So what your saying robbie is your baking the ball in water,
even heating of the ball is what a revivor does,
you dont have to wipe the ball in a revivor as it has pad to soak the oil up,
but what you are not seeing with bathing is what the water is doing to the core of the ball, oil is thicker than water so it has to be getting to the core.
So if your using a revivor your doing all the same thing as a bath ust without the water.
If there is a study done on bathing the ball please let me know would love to see there results.

So what your saying robbie is your baking the ball in water,
even heating of the ball is what a revivor does,
you dont have to wipe the ball in a revivor as it has pad to soak the oil up,

Soak up the _resin_ you mean. Very little of the exudate is oil - even the ball companies seem to agree on that now.
Home ovens don't come with oil pads.

but what you are not seeing with bathing is what the water is doing to the core of the ball, oil is thicker than water so it has to be getting to the core.
So if your using a revivor your doing all the same thing as a bath ust without the water.
If there is a study done on bathing the ball please let me know would love to see there results.

How can water affect the core of a bowling ball? It's just a lump of plastic. The materials used in bowling ball construction are reasonably hydrophobic; unless the core is spongey and can physically hold water, it's not going to absorb any water.

Like I said, I don't see any benefit with the revivor over hot water, I do see where the revivor could go wrong if the thermostat dies, and water is free.

Show me the test of how much oil is removed from bathing a ball.
How much oil does bathing remove.
No one really knows.
And does it relly hurt the core no one has tested so we have to go on your say so,
not for me.
Now can we here from some of the people that have used a revivor oven or the powder and get off bathing yes bathing works to a point but I want to hear about revivors and the powder.
Thanks

Morich have recently Updated there site, prior to July they were against using an oven to "revive" a ball and actually recommended the Ebonite Hook Again system or a combination of resurface and hot water bath.
Clearly they've researched a little more and have updated their recommendations.
I have used the Hook-Again system and it works great but it is dusty and care needs to be taken as the powder seems to be a combination wood shavings, powder grit and sand that can create small scratches in the ball if it is jiggled around inside the chamber.

I have cooked a ball in my wife's oven at about 55 Degrees C (fan forced and about as low as my oven will go) for really good results but it leaves a residue in the oven that is very hard to clean and made the roast taste funny.

I have bathed a ball and got almost as good results (my hot water system only goes as high as 50 degrees C.). As mentioned before batching is easier, cheaper and effective.

Graeme

I have cooked a ball in my wife's oven at about 55 Degrees C (fan forced and about as low as my oven will go) for really good results but it leaves a residue in the oven that is very hard to clean and made the roast taste funny.

That can't be healthy.. personally there is no way I would be putting a dirty bowling ball in a kitchen oven.. resin and oil cannot be good for you - from memory there are a bunch of warnings on the side of lane oil containers..

Yeah...
It's not something I'll do again, took about 4 hours to clean it (the oven that is). The ball took about 2 hrs before crap stopped bleeding out. Gave it a wipe about every 20 mins. Don't think there was a whole lot of oil in it , it seemed like mainly resin from the surface.
Ball was as good as new

i have bathed my ball for great results i also have access to a vacuumed thermo oven but the quickest way i have found to extract the oil is with a cardboard box sittin over the vent of my floor installed central heating though the that will my stopping soon due to a change in the weather so i guess the oven at work will be getting a try out

to extract the oil is with a cardboard box sittin over the vent of my floor installed central heating

Our central heating blows down from the roof... :(
I wash my bowling balls in a bucket with detergent but i have also seen the revivor ovens as well. From all accounts they work well but i don't recall seeing any oil soak pads. Mainly the pro shop dude was wiping it with a towel once so often.
It really boils down to personal preference. I did have a crack at getting the oil out in my oven (@60degC) but after 30mins pulled the ball out. Mainly due to the residue that was being left on the oven glass. I think i'll stick to the bucket method.

Back
Top Bottom