resurfacing?

K

kablam

help is needed people i need to resurface a columbia messenger is this done in the regular way with sandpaper or does it need it done a special way as i was once told it had to because its surface is a bit unique. and also a way to genrally clean the ball on a regular basis

Unless it is a tec messenger i dont really know what they were on about. From memory it is the superflex coverstock (pretty much all the messengers use this coverstock except for the TEC which uses the first Generation TEC proactive coverstock, the Nautical blue and the cherry pearl which use the Flexathane coverstock which iam pretty sure this is just a reactive coverstock too). There shouldnt be any problem reguardless of the coverstock anyway, true people did have problems with the first generation TEC balls, but it isnt really a factor anymore. Resurfacing is just the same as usual, different gritts of sandpaper (althought scotch brite pads seem to be popular with a few people) and whether you want it sanded or polished is the only difference.

So which flavoured messenger have you got :D

the flavour messender that i have is the messenger tec i had heard that the scotch brite pads have become popular with some people

is that the better way to go or use the different grits of sand paper......the scotch brite pads are they just bought from the supermarket??

Burgundy pad if i remember for the TEC proactives was the deal. The early problem was it was alittle touchy on just how to resurface the ball without loosing too many particles from the coverstock (it was a combined loss of particles and having others covered, if i remember correctly). I remember people using the trizact system for them, but i havent had to get a TEC ball resurfaced in quite awhile. It doesnt make any difference anyway, any competent center shouldnt have a problem resurfacing your proactive ball, they usually charge alittle more for proactives, but that is neither here nor there.

It kinda sounds like you want todo this yourself? if you are getting your local center todo it for you, you shouldnt need to worry about any of this. If you are unsure, ask around your league, see who they get todo their resurfacing. Just alittle offtopic, have you even asked the proshop at your local?

Tec cover stocks are best resurfaced with the 3M Scotchbrite pads. I was able to pic up all colours from an industrial supplies outlet.

In comparison, my experience have found the colours to roughly represent these grits:

Dark Grey - 150
Tan - 220
Burgundy - 320
Green - 600
Light Grey - 1000
White - 1500

If they ball is tracked up pretty bad, start off with the coarser pads, then just work your way up.

They can either be used wet or dry, but I have found that wet cuts a lot quicker, while using them dry leaves a smoother surface.

Enjoy :)

Hmm, had any experiences with TEC death? Just wondering if you have found that redrilling the ball to move the track onto some fresh surface makes a big difference (has already been resurfaced once). Could change to a 4x4 layout and move it around abit, wont bother if it isnt going todo anything. Damn microscopic particles :evil:

would have liked to do the resurface my self but prob will get a pro shop to do it but lets just say our pro shop aint that "pro"
do know of a better one tho that is quite good in another town not far from here they would be my best bet

i dont realy know of anyone in my centre that would be worth asking but i have some ideas of who to at another centre

it is fairly tracked up to it hasnt had a resurface yet either

I only had one ball with a TEC coverstock, a Complete Chaos, and it suffered TEC Death very quick. It lost almost all it's hooking power after about 60 games, and no matter what I did, it wouldn't come back.

Was originally drilled 4 x 5 when new, and hooked an absolute ton. After it died, I changed it to 4 1/2 x 3 3/8 and became a very nice down and in ball polished up. After the ball died, it actually became a lot more consistant, and didn't lose it's hitting power, just lost the ability to cover boards.

The ball is now retired for good, due to having no logos at all.

The covers seemed a little inconsistant from one to another, as I have seem some TEC balls just keep going and going and going. The are still a few Black Chaos's flying around here, that still hook almost as much as they did new.

They must have got lucky.

i have had a couple of balls that have lost there hooking power after a resurface
had an ebonite wolf that died big time after its first one but just recently got it done again and polished up and now it aint to bad

also had a track nrg it died aswell and it is still dead

the only ball that didnt die was the blue pirahna/c that i had and still have goes al rite still
i am not a big hooker of the ball but it does the job

Id just like to say i suffered the same dramas with the tec messenger i have. When i first brought it it hooked an absolute mile then i had it resurfaced and it killed it. So i had it resurfaced again but rougher and it made it worse.. But id agree with the previous posts... although it doesnt hook as much it still hits hard. But it is a handy door stop in my room :lol:

I have gotta say that I am not a huge fan of resurfacing...I personally don't like it, but maybe I have just had some bad experiences with it that's all.

so how do you change the surface of your balls? I know i move mine around abit to match conditions, but most importantly to prolong the life of the coverstock. It's just part and parcel with bowling.

Back
Top Bottom