Rachuig - early odds from the tote

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Tom

Good post, yes its that time of year and there alot of new faces in all the teams across Australia. I wasn't here for the roll off so my chance of making that Maroons team fell through. With the new format of win at all costs (not scores) it really makes the competition a 7 horse field with all the horses drawing good barriers. Here are some early odds from the bookmakers down in the ring.

NSW - 2 to 1

NSW has unquestionably the strongest team on paper, with ring in's like Michael Little who moved there last year, they certainly will be hard to beat. Also with Frawls being the technical advisor, they have a huge advantage. Not to mention 2 of the best left handers in Australian history, Romeo and Allsop (I get goosebumps when I saw those names togther). Definelty 7 great bowlers who will be hard to stop, again.

SA - 3 to 1

As per usual South Australia field an awesome side, Hunt, Maglieri, Longeraux, Rob " Hit the head pin anyside " Chinner, Helicopter Jason strawbridge, the list goes on. They've been knocking on the door for so long, with a good run early I think they can really have a shot at the title. A good start is the key for this team, I just hope that Chinner doesn't get wedged in the barrier at the start. Watch for them in the photo finish.

QLD - 5 to 1

Queensland has Papa Smurf Hughes who has been holding the QLD up for the past 50 years. I'm sure his 5640 games in Rachuig will never be beaten. Morty the rachuig expert will also bring some knowledge and leadership into the team, there maybe just a small cloud hanging over his jockey as he hasn't bowled many events this year. With a young new team, they will have to dig deep to match the guns of the other states.

NT - 5 to 1

NT have strengthened thier chances this year with some ring in's from QLD and NSW. Jason Walsh and Pilko come into the team which compliments their 5 bowlers. Sadler, Maglieri and Voukolous are no slouches, with these 2 ring in's could prove a big surpise. They have come down from 12 to 1 into fives.

VIC - 5 to 1

With the loss of Malloy the Vic's have lost a leg of their horse. Malloy not only a great bowler but a Rachuig veteran. He is the master of talking smack and has been doing it for the past 25 years. Also a good team motivator, he can string more swear words into one sentence that I ever thought possible. With Flynny, the Stewarts, and the helicopter Trotter, they've still got a chance though, expect a strong finish

TAS - 8.5 to 1

With both Rileys and Hayden George this team can really do some damage but their depth is questionable. Another team which might drop a little on odds closer to the event, watch for both Rileys in the All star jockey team at the end.

WA - 9 to 1

WA, well you guys just never come over this side of the country and bowl events so it's hard to judge how strong your team is. On paper you have some guns there like Track's superstar Michael Muir and Phelps. You were at 12's but I got some inside info which has dropped you down to 9's. Might even tighten further in the ring, lol!

ACT - 10 to 1

Well not the strongest team I've ever seen but an accomplished one in the past. With Francis leading the helm they are in good stead, I just hope that their legs don't buckle under the pressure. I"m sure Drew and Seymour will helps things along but nothing short of a miracle will win these guys the trophy.

As for the girls, no offence to any team but if anyone BEATS NSW I will drop my dacks in the Queens Street Mall in Brisbane on a Monday lunch time.

George
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

PS This post has been created in good heart to put a little bit of fun into the forum. Anyone who takes offence to any of my comments, I'm sorry. Just remember though, this is like the Melbourne Cup for us.

'scuse me, but I thought women also bowled Rachuig, or maybe you guys wear skirts and make out you are women. After all, you are forgetting that without the gals, the Trish Datsun trophy can't be won????

I know we still live in a male dominated world, or so you guys would like to think, but please remember the great female bowlers we have in Australia, so how about a run down on them also?

I think it is almost a forgone conclusion that the NSW team are the dominant force, but would be interesting to know what ratings you give to the gals teams also.

Whatever the outcome, the Nationals brings people together and that is great. So do I hear someone out there giving the gals some support also????

Women do have brains, and they can bowl. We might not be the strongest sex in your eyes, but I'd like to see a guy give birth, you don't know what you're missing out on in that area.

So someone rate the gals also, after all, they are part of every Rachuig Team.

GO SA GREAT!!!!

Well just some updates from the ring. There is some heavy betting going on, looks like no one is really backing the favourites though, maybe the format could bring some big surprises which they are not telling the bookmakers about.

NSW still remain favourites for the title at 2:1

SA goes out to 4's with the loss of Bruno, they are now at 4 to 1

ACT drop out to 15's because of Brett Smiths form (refer book of shame post) and Drew's encouragement. They are now 15 to 1

NT firm into 9 to 2 with Pilko carrying every possible strike known to man. High, light, nose you name it, it fell. This will certainly assist the NT team greatly.

QLD firm into 9 to 2 as well with the news that they are taking a sports therapist on the trip.

The rest are staying the same at the moment. As for the girls, I'm sorry Heather but apart from a few I have no idea about the girls in this country. Feel free to create your own odds and summary.

George aka "Georgie the honest bookmaker"

PS This post is in good fun, no offence to anyone

Dotty, Would love to add one last comment to that one but shall leave that one well alone right now!!!

And to my mum, you go girl!

With the format of head to head points it's anyone's game. As has been proven over the past two years since this format was brought in. The field has been brought a lot closer together.

Good luck to all, and may the best team win.

icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and thanks Col for your support! Is it our win in the Challenge last week that has inspired you! Or is it that you owe me money and want to keep on my good side? Hmm
icon_razz.gif

Good on yer Dotty, us gals must stick together - LOL.

Thanks George, I was only kidding, well sort of, just that it always seems everyone knows the guys and their abilities, yet we have some superb female bowlers in Oz.

Unfortunately I am not one to talk really because I don't know where a lot of the bowlers are from. As I said in my previous message, I reckon NSW will be the team to beat, both male and female, but never underestimate any bowler on a good day, even I can sometimes bowl 200, maybe twice a year - LOL. I always call myself "The Has Been Who Never Was"!!!! where bowling is concerned, but I do enjoy watching you pros bowling high scores.

Good luck to everyone for the Nationals, enjoy, and I'm not biassed or anything (I also tell lies) but AGAIN I SAY GO SA GREAT. Wish I could be there, but some of us have to be heroes and go to work!!!!

To my baby Jo, did you like my message?? Now you can see who you get your defiant ways from - LOL.

Just for the record, in spite of the fact many 300 games have been bowled, the only one I have witnessed was by a FEMALE, Amanda Bradley at the 1999 Nationals in Adelaide.

No I am not one of those "Germain Greer" people, but ask a female to do ten things at once and we are able to, ask a male, they spend more time getting out of doing stuff than getting on with it. About the only ten things a male can do at once is hit ten pins down in a game of bowling!!!!!

Colin, at least you recognise that we have some great female bowlers here in SA.

For those who don't know me, I love sh-- stirring when I get the opportunity, all in good fun, because I actually do appreciate and admire you guys who are good at your sport. Jase Strawbridge will tell you I call him my second son because I have known Jase since he was a junior bowler. I call him the B.P. of bowling - B.P. - The Quiet Achiever.

Nuff sed. Nosda (which is Welsh for Goodnight).

George,
Unfortunately we do not have the services of Bruno Maglieri this year.....he decided not to try out for Rachuig.......however as you mention we have regained the services of Mr Chinner...........he will keep us laughing if nothing else.
No offence George......but I for one hope that the NSW girls win just for the sake of the poor people in the Queens St Mall the day u drop your Dacks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never count out any team in this type of format!!!!!!!!!!!!!S.A. girls are ready to roll.
See you next week
Cheers
Colin Hunt

icon_rolleyes.gif
Being a little hash on the Boys from the ACT arent you George after all home ground advantage and all that stuff, come on. Captain and Mr Natural Matty Francis, the old grey man of a million rachuig's Mike Seymour, a super star waiting to prove himself Drew Charlton, consistent preformer Chris Bateup and a Lefty House pro and talented Freddie Leverick, Big Smithy as long as he doesnt ask for a re-rack and Phil Marshall another house pro.

Could be a really chance with this format remember no one gave us a chance in 99 but we supprised more than a few with a 2nd place finish anyhow at 15's I'll have a flutter on my old team.

just to add also that heather spencer was in my opinion, rachiug standard in the late 80's but she didnt think so, woss bag.
i know this because she was my mum b4 she was jos' not that you would know it.
luv ya mum
nic
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Love you too Nic, and thanks for the lovely compliment that I was Rachuig standard once, don't really believe that, but I know you have always believed in me and that is lovely. Yeah you are right, I was your Mum before I was Jo's Mum, and even though Jo is probably better known in the bowling world than you are, you have done me proud as have all my kids. This has sort of swayed away from the original message of rating the teams hasn't it, but without bowling somewhere in my life, I would be pretty bored, whether it be myself bowling or watching you all bowl. I just wish I could be at Rachuig this year to cheer SA GREAT on, but you can rest assured, I will be there in spirit.

I will be logging on each night to see how everyone is going and I know, as always, there will be some great games bowled by whoever in whatever team, doesn't matter, first and foremost it is good for bowling and secondly, I love watching great games, no matter where the person is from, so go out there every Rachuig bowler, have fun, bowl well and let's make sure Rachuig survives.

That is all I have to say, and remember, Forrest Gump said "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get"!!!!

Heather S

Well i think that Tassie have a great chance after finishing 2nd last Year missing by 1 point. With the experience of Ashley,Matt, Brett Kenley and Brett Riley having been there on numerous occassions and Adam Lucock and Scott Summers Both now Have the xperience that is required i would put them into at least 5 to 1. Hopefully i will be there next year.........Bowl well Guys and Party Hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Foster
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

george
incase you havent realised sa has not had bruno maglieri bowling in their mens team for quite some time, so i can not understand how you arrive at these odds

"SA goes out to 4's with the loss of Bruno, they are now at 4 to 1"

we never lost bruno he chooses not to bowl rachiug. the sa mens team this year are really fired up and with some new talent aka alan p. they are ready for all challengers.

go guys, go sa.

George,
Any time mate you want to give 2 to 1 for NSW guys to win this year I will take it. I am sure that the couple of other betting men in the team may also take you up on such a generous quote.

Whilst I feel pretty good in playing in such a strong team, the revised points system certainly showed everyone last year that it is never over until the last ball is bowled. Whilst is was great to watch, I'd much rather be playing.

My form guide for the ladies Rachuig:

NSW 6/4
No shoe in this year, Joy Hayman has gone to England in search of greener tracks but is replaced by up and coming yearling Kelly Gardner. Amanda Bradley was in foal and has had a fair while off, Sue Cassell has had a back injury that even the best vet couldn't fix, and a couple of the other girls may need a couple of more runs around Flemington to be at full fitness for this tough event.AMP will use Rachuig to springboard herself to a win at the World Cup which starts 2 days after Rachuig.
Call: Highly rated in this field, despite carrying a little extra weight.

QLD 7/4
Fitness is no problem for this team and they are definately down in the weights, but the problem maybe that they are all used to the dry tracks around Queensland. Gave it a great shot last year and I think are stronger this year with a couple of lefties in the team. The left side of the Tugger Track has helped those who finish on that side of the track. Based on previous form in the highly rated Brunswick Cups, Emma Rutten should go straight to the front and eat this place. My choice for high average.
Call: Wet track may be a big problem for this team.

S.A 10/1
In no way am I going to cop anything from the Spencer family. Jo Spencer obviously has great bloodlines and is a well behaved mare as well as an excellent bowler no matter what track. SA girls always get fired up for Rachuig and this team has a great mix of youth and experience, watch out for Michelle Cottrell a frisky yearling who has been called up to the team.
Call: Have genuine place claims.

W.A 15/1
After not wanting to be floated across the country last year, Debbie Baldock I'm sure is itching to take on her former team mates and lead these girls into battle, she is an out and out stayer who just loves it when the track starts to dry up. Bonita Muir whilst wanting to go to stud continues to improve probably due to eating the same oats as Mick. Samantha Taylor is formidible and hopefully her trainer has her switched on.
Call: Stepping up in class, but treat with repect.

NT 20/1
Bruno may not be playing, but mother Renata is. The Maglieri stable is well known in NT so beware. Anna Patterson and Bobbie Jo have been in full training at the NTIS and are at peak fitness. Fixtures are few and far between for these girls so expect them to be a little jittery at the gates. The 2 draft picks may just get this team into a top 3 finish.
Call: More depth may be needed, long each way chance.

TAS 25/1
Tasmanian form guides don't give the full picture for this eager but slightly inexperienced team. Same problem as the NT girls with few fixtures to round out the fitness of these players. Rebecca Salter is a standout from good recent international form. Trainer is well regarded, but has been called up for a run with the boys.
Call: Minor place claims only.

VIC 30/1
The glory days are not yet back for the Victorian girls. Honeychurch has left to take on the lucrative USA track scene, some have gone to stud and a stewards inquiry sees one of their best out for another year. One thinks that this team has some good country form, with one Sharon Calder having being trained at the Tugger track in the past, may need luck to test these.
Call: Prefer to see here, could be one for the trifecta chasers.

ACT: 40/1
Local track knowledge may not help as the stewards have ordered extra watering before this big event. All the girls have hearts the size of Phar Lap and will be urged on by the local fans. Some late whispers from the track say that the team is training hard so this price maybe sweet pickings for the long shot backers.
Call: Not fancied, but local knowledge may dint a few egos.

Really girls every team will give each other a run for their money. Hope I have not upset to many all in a bit of fun.

See you all in Canberra next week, good luck to all the Walter De Veer players over the next 3 days.

Andrew Frawley.

LOVED IT FRAWLS!!!! Yeah Jo has good bloodstock, well I mean to say, look who her Mother is - LOL. Why do you think I call her my "Hitler"???? Ironically enough, your rendition of each team would mean a lot to Jo because she works for TAB which is short for - er I dunno - LOL, but it is the horse racing and other things - betting agency here in SA, as if you didn't already know that. But I would like to make mention of Jo's older sis Nic, who might not be as good a bowler as her younger sister, but all the same she has the same enthusiasm for the sport and spends a great deal of her time encouraging the junior bowlers.

Jo will kill me, but I have an opinion, I'm not stupid, just a bit crazy at times. Nic and Jo's little brother is a black belt in Tae Kwondo so I guess I must be a breeder of good stock" as you said - LOL.

As for me, well I'm just the Mum who has to take all the flack from my kids. They keep me in line, or so they think, but at 56, well me thinks I am allowed to be a law unto myself. Anyway, thank God someone has at last given the gals some ratings. I get really angry when everyone seems to think it is just a male tournament. God I wish I was going, never been to Canberra, and would be nice to catch up with the Matt Francis' etc. How you doin Matty? I would imagine once Jo in particular reads this she will say "God My Mother, she's soooo embarrassing", but who cares, I am not worried. Anyway Frawls, thanks for posting the girls ratings, always good to see what a bowler of your calibre thinks.

Heather S

Frawls

Great post, I admire you, it takes a lot of balls to say the NSW women are carrying some extra weight. Only someone of you size would be able to do that.

Looks like a great contest all round, GO THE MAROONS!!!!

George

Late News*****************

The WA stable has had a mare added to the line up. Played once or twice before.
Speed is definitley her strength.

Much later news. Now all you bowlers at the nationals can sleep easy, because I have just heard on the late Adelaide news that the Americans have captured Omar Bin Laden. The Americans sprayed Afghanistan with Viagara and the little "prick popped up"!!!!

Have fun at the nationals everyone and bowl well. See yous all later.

Heather S

hell all

im new here with this being my first post

umm this is my third year in the tassie rachuig side and im hoping it to be a good one

just like to wish everyone goodluck and that much said expression "high scoring"
icon_smile.gif

cheers everyone

adam lucock

c yas over there
icon_smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom